Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
just gotta know... (Read 6038 times)
michael
MGG

new orleans
Re: just gotta know...
Reply #15 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 1:27pm

jharris wrote on Aug 11th, 2010 at 3:54am:
Any ideas on day/time/frequency that you are looking for?

no times as of yet but id like to play it weekly or at the least every two weeks. id like for it to be at night so that mood and atmosphere could be set. i find that daylight and artificial overhead lighting dont lend themselves well to the games i like to run. ive gotta see how my schedule is gonna be once school starts up. homework will be my top priority!

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #16 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 2:57pm

Man, I can't believe that I forgot to throw down the Ravenloft setting.  My top three AD&D 2nd ed settings were/are:

Ravenloft
Dark Sun
Dragonlance

with Planescape fighting for a spot in there somewhere.  There is no way I can say which one is my favorite so they are all number one on that list.

I sure do miss the many years and some great groups and great times playing and running 2e.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #17 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 3:24pm

Dark Sun was pretty amazing; I just left it out because it's available for 4e now.  On that note, I haven't checked out Dark Sun for 4th yet - how do folks feel?  I haven't been to a single Encounters session.

Dark Sun was the only campaign setting I ever used in which I ran the game as a true sand(no pun intended)box campaign.  Rich descriptions, unique landscapes/societies - it was perfect!

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #18 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 5:17pm

I played in the first Dark Sun encounters.  It was alright considering the GM was not familiar with DS at all and had just skimmed the adventure just before running it.  There were two tables playing and the first (big) table was a TPK on the first encounter, while our table made it through the second encounter without a single death.  My character however was dropped a couple times but was able to be revived.

I am not sure I will buy the 4th ed book because I do not play (or care much for) 4th ed.  I would only buy it for fluff but I have everything for Dark Sun prior to 4th so I have enough fluff to run it using pretty much any system I chose to run it in.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #19 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 7:50pm

encounters (Dark sun or otherwise) is pretty much exactly what I think most of the old schoolers dislike about 4th ed. That and the "how to play without a DM" section.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

michael
MGG

new orleans
Reply #20 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 8:11pm

hewhorocks wrote on Aug 11th, 2010 at 7:50pm:
encounters (Dark sun or otherwise) is pretty much exactly what I think most of the old schoolers dislike about 4th ed. That and the "how to play without a DM" section.

Could you tell me a little more about what you mean? You've got me really curious.

IP Logged

jharris
Townfolk

You have a kind of sick
desperation in your laugh

new orleans
Reply #21 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 9:08pm

michael wrote on Aug 11th, 2010 at 1:27pm:
jharris wrote on Aug 11th, 2010 at 3:54am:
Any ideas on day/time/frequency that you are looking for?

no times as of yet but id like to play it weekly or at the least every two weeks. id like for it to be at night so that mood and atmosphere could be set. i find that daylight and artificial overhead lighting dont lend themselves well to the games i like to run. ive gotta see how my schedule is gonna be once school starts up. homework will be my top priority! 

Well I am definitely looking for an weekly evening game, and really am hoping to find one playing on a weekday, since I work most weekends...and it is football season...if that fits what you have in mind, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help get the ball rolling.  I still have a ton of stuff and I am really excited to dust of the old gear.

IP Logged

jharris
Townfolk

You have a kind of sick

new orleans
Reply #22 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 9:10pm

...and if it's not to early, I call dibs on a ranger character  (depending on how you decide to go about generating characters).   Grin

IP Logged

michael
MGG

new orleans
Reply #23 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 4:22pm

Kev wrote on Aug 11th, 2010 at 2:57pm:
I sure do miss the many years and some great groups and great times playing and running 2e. 

you should play in my game when i get it up and running. if youre kev, i think i met you once before at one of the meetup groups.
jharris wrote on Aug 11th, 2010 at 9:10pm:
and if it's not to early, I call dibs on a ranger character

sounds good to me but hold off making him just yet. id like that to be a process we work out together so that the campaign can be tailored to the character.
jharris wrote on Aug 11th, 2010 at 9:08pm:
please let me know if there is anything I can do to help get the ball rolling

in about a week or so ill have a list of ideas and id love to get your opinion

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #24 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 4:49pm

michael wrote on Aug 12th, 2010 at 4:22pm:
you should play in my game when i get it up and running. if youre kev, i think i met you once before at one of the meetup groups.

That would be me.  It would depend on what day, time, and how often.  I am already in a regular Sat night game.  But if it was something that did not conflict with that and was maybe once or twice a month I might be able to swing it depending on day and time.

Kev

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #25 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 9:23pm

michael wrote on Aug 11th, 2010 at 8:11pm:
hewhorocks wrote on Aug 11th, 2010 at 7:50pm:

Could you tell me a little more about what you mean? You've got me really curious. 

Encounters is kinds of like Fastfood DnD. Its all about the tactical encounter with no real character development. The encounters are strung togther to form an adventure but the Rich and subtle tones of Character Motivation, NPC interaction and personal Character Story arcs have been removed-simplified for the sake of standardized presentation.

Cenrtainly any group could role-play throughout the encounters but the setup itself seems to avoid "railroading" the PC's by limiting the space for wandering. You dont need rails to guide PC's if your keeping them in predefined vacum tubes.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

michael
MGG

new orleans
Reply #26 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 9:30pm

I gotcha. Thanks

IP Logged

jharris
Townfolk

You have a kind of sick

new orleans
Reply #27 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 1:37am

Just wondering if there have been any developments in kicking off this campaign?

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #28 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:15am

I am unsure which campaign this was supposed to be.

IP Logged

michael
MGG

new orleans
Reply #29 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:24pm

jharris wrote on Aug 19th, 2010 at 1:37am:
Just wondering if there have been any developments in kicking off this campaign?

im working out some of the last details now, as far as what rules im gonna use and bend and what im gonna add. i have a big idea about what kind of campaign im gonna run but now i need to start the focus process. school starts this monday and its eating up most my time. and because you mentioned a ranger im trying to get a copy of the complete rangers handbook. its something ive wanted to add to my collection anyway.
hewhorocks wrote on Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:15am:
I am unsure which campaign this was supposed to be.

im wanting to get a serious 2e game going. never seems to be enough time in the day.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print