Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
just gotta know... (Read 6029 times)
michael
MGG

new orleans
just gotta know...
Aug 10th, 2010 at 2:04am

im thinking about starting up a new campiagn and i would like to know...
1. what did you hate about 2nd edition?
2. what did you like about 2nd edition?
its my fav system and im really curious what you all think about it.
thanks for the help. Kiss

IP Logged

Gman
Townfolk

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Belle Chasse
Re: just gotta know...
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 3:15am

It's been a long time, but I can definitely remember my fave thing that changed going to 3rd edition, was the streamlining of all the rolls.

Starting with 3rd edition, everything you had to roll was roll HIGH, instead of high for this, low for that, etc.., Smiley.

I distinctly remember the rules getting easier to manage, allowing more focus on actual gaming.

That was at the start, then tons more stuff came out, but you know, you dont' have to use that.

Many fond memories of 2nd edition though, Smiley.

I still have some of the rulebooks around too, and of course a ton of Realms, Ravenloft and other world stuff that's 2nd edition.

Gman gmanv4  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 5:32am

2nd ed for me was for the most part seamless. Sure there was thaco and a few add-ons but really nothing changed in our group. The new editions books were just inferior art. The loose-leaf binder for the monster manual was nice in some ways but it  really seemed like just adding more stuff in that good Dm's didnt need and bad ones overused.  Besides in college we used the 1st ed PHB,DMG, MM(1&2) fiend folio and Deities and Demigods....Any more than that just slowed us down what with walking uphill both ways in waist deep snow.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 3:21pm

Dude, I love 2nd edition.  While I can appreciate the simplicity of the d20 system, there's a certain je ne sais quois that you get from crunchy systems like 2nd edition.  And really, is THAC0 that hard?  I don't remember it being that difficult, and I was 10.

When you read the 1st edition core books, you get the impression that they were making things up as they went along.  3rd edition is obviously geared towards hardcore gamers, and tries too hard to be edgy.  4th edition is, well...  I'm not going down that rabbit-hole right now.  2nd was just right; there was enough crunch to satisfy my most nerdy urges, and the writers didn't take themselves too seriously.  Also, you could still find some art that wasn't trying its hardest to blow your mind with how "TOTALLY BAD ASS" your character could be.

Oh, and Planescape.

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Gman
Townfolk

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Belle Chasse
Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:36pm

beyonder wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 3:21pm:
Oh, and Planescape.

Grin

Spelljammer, FTW!

Planescape def rocked, the boxed set for the Blood War, right before TSR went down was epic.

The North boxed set too for the Realms.

I still have all that stuff, sitting on a shelf here, Smiley

Gman gmanv4  
IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 5:15pm

I've never even looked at Spelljammer!  They didn't have it at my FLGS when I was a kid, though I was aware of it and wanted to check it out REALLY BADLY.  How I would have loved it!  Man...  it may be time to hit up eBay.

Regarding Planescape, I never actually played in that world, though I spent many hours poring over the boxed set.  I recently picked up the 3e Manual of the Planes and they seemed to have really taken a lot from Planescape.  My day will come.

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 5:29pm

Oh, and Planescape.

Planescape and Darksun for the ultimate win!!!

IP Logged

jharris
Townfolk

You have a kind of sick
desperation in your laugh

new orleans
Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 2:46am

I love 2nd edition...it's what I grew up with and still have all the books for.  Loved Ravenloft and who could forget the Temple of Elemental Evil...I mean, it was amazing.  If you are really gonna roll out a 2e campaign, please let me know if you need a player...I'm totally looking for THAT game.  Smiley

IP Logged

michael
MGG

new orleans
Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 2:54am

And really, is THAC0 that hard?I don't remember it being that difficult, and I was 10

i think THAC0 is a much simpler combat system than 4e's 'lets see how many +'s i can pull from every player at the table with me'

IP Logged

michael
MGG

new orleans
Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 2:55am

Gman wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:36pm:
Oh, and Planescape.

Spelljammer, FTW!

i never got to play in these worlds or darksun.
i loved forgotten realms and ravenloft!

IP Logged

michael
MGG

new orleans
Reply #10 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 2:58am

jharris wrote on Aug 11th, 2010 at 2:46am:
I love 2nd edition...it's what I grew up with and still have all the books for.Loved Ravenloft and who could forget the Temple of Elemental Evil...I mean, it was amazing.If you are really gonna roll out a 2e campaign, please let me know if you need a player...I'm totally looking for THAT game. 

im in the works for starting up a 2e even as we speak. ill be looking for 4 serious players. ill keep you in mind and let you know whats happening with it. thats kinda why i put this post up, to see who would be really interested in a 2e game.

IP Logged

michael
MGG

new orleans
Reply #11 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 2:59am

anyone ever play ravenloft masque of the red death? it was good, had a lot of potential.

IP Logged

jharris
Townfolk

You have a kind of sick

new orleans
Reply #12 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 3:10am

THAC0 was so simple...still one of the easiest combat systems ever.  All you needed was the attackers THACO and the defenders AC, how freakin' hard is that?

IP Logged

jharris
Townfolk

You have a kind of sick

new orleans
Reply #13 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 3:54am

Any ideas on day/time/frequency that you are looking for?  I've been trying to find a good intelligent game.  Never got Masque of the Red Death, but played the original Ravenloft module and a campaign in the ravenloft setting...I really enjoyed the darker tone of that world.

IP Logged

david
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot

one bad dude, not two

harahan, la
Reply #14 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 11:25am

ravenloft was awesome. i could not find masque of the red death, but had plenty of information that made me want it badly. the internet wasn't quite that useful yet then. i did have the nightmare lands (a strange but interesting set), the shadow rift (a long adventure that takes place after the grand conjunction), and of course, the grand conjunction itself.

i loved the horror genre for d&d 2e.....then 3.xx came along and successfully neutered it all, and now 4e is planning on rubbing salt in the wound. oh well, maybe it won't be that bad.

WWW woody_two_soul lechgame  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print