Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage Worlds (Read 1331 times)
Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Savage Worlds
Nov 12th, 2010 at 3:55pm

Anyone use this system on a regular basis?  Anyone tried this system? 

I'm thinking of picking it up because 1.) It is a generic system and love generic systems, and 2.) The core rule book is only $10.

I would love to hear some thoughts on this system, what kind of games have you played with it, what it does well, what it has problems with, conversion issues to existing worlds and settings, etc.

I know there are quite a few settings published for the rule set including the newest version of DeadLands (which looks like a kick ass setting).  Are any of the other settings noteworthy?

Kev

IP Logged

Casper
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Dogs of War
Top Ten
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Stark player
Esplanade

You want what??? For how
much???

Seattle
Re: Savage Worlds
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 4:44pm

Haven't played it but I have a few books for it from when I bought that haiti relief package from RPG now.

Don't waste my time.

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 5:11pm

I've had a lot of fun with this system.  I've been playing in a group in a converted Eberron campaign.  Lots of conversion guides are around on the internet.  We don't use the playing card system, so I'm not sure how that works.  It's excellent for highly narrative playing as opposed to combat.  Though I've also had a lot of fun with combat (my favorite weapon is an exploding zombie).  To summarize, it's non-complicated to house rule a lot of things, minimal setup (except for DM plot invention) is required, character creation is pretty quick.

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 10:43pm

From what I have read it seems to handle combat very well.  Fast, a lot of action and freedom.  Went to the publishers website and got the 'Test Drive 6' pdf.  From that document it seems as though the system can handle pretty much anything. 

Watching some reviews on youtube, the only thing it might have some trouble with is really high power superhero games.  Low to mid power supers and pretty much the full spectrum of other styles seem to run very well.

Even the cards portion of the game does not seem to out of place with certain games.  Deadlands, basic westerns, WildCards (Low to mid power Supers setting), etc.  Other games, however, I might find a different way to do what you use the cards for in SW.

Just from what I have read and some of the settings designed for SW this my just move into top favorite games.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print