Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zarb Zarba: Half-Elf Sorcerer (Read 824 times)
beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Zarb Zarba: Half-Elf Sorcerer
Aug 27th, 2009 at 4:10am

Zarb Zarba is out of his element.  Having been raised by an aristocratic Holderness family, Zarb was used to a much more lavish lifestyle than the tattered, leafy, dirty rags he that cover him these days.  It was only very recently, actually, that he himself was a member of the Holderness elite.  Through his diligence in the arcane studies and his personal commitment to use his powers to preserve harmony and flow in the universe, he managed to impress the Magus Superior at his academy enough to obtain a highly prestigious responsibility -  assisting Mell su tu Vokh, a famous and revered sorcerer of formidable power.

Mell su to Vokh was, at the time, leading an effort to summon enough clairvoyant power to locate a target – a “grave foe of the city-state of Holderness.”  This “grave foe” would in turn be descended upon by the royal soldiers and assassins of the Kingdom and return his soul to the Underworld.  This “grave foe,” however, turned out simply to be the brother of tu Vokh, Mell su Detok, with whom he was fighting for power within the academy and who had disappeared weeks prior.  The academy, after all, had many enemies, and in this case the target had been kept secret from the assistants – the interns, if you will.  Upon learning of the real motive, however, Zarb realized that it was purely political; besides, Zarb knew that su Detok was no less virtuous that tu Vokh.  Eventually, su Detok learned of his brother’s intended power play and reacted by casting a rain of Arcane Blood upon their fortress of sorcery.  This destroyed all in the building save for Zarb Zarba, who by some stroke of luck was caught in the field of teleportation that Mell su tu Vokh, his mentor, had created for himself.  Zarb awoke in the woods with nothing but his tattered rags, his staff, and the faint memory of Mell su tu Vokh losing his life before his eyes under the psionic force of su Detok.  “He made no effort to save us!” Zarb thought to himself.  “And for what? Power.”  Zarb was frustrated and jaded, though he did take pleasure in being AWOL.  “I’ll find my fortune on my own.  I will harness all the arcane energy within me, and I will channel its destructive energy towards only those that stand in the way of reason and good faith.  I will vanquish Mell su Detok, take control of the academy, and bring reason, progress, and intellect back into our sorcerers’ culture.”

Big dreams.  Until now, Zarb had been wandering for weeks, hunting and gathering like a savage, until he happened upon a group of merchants bound for a caravan.  These merchants were impressed by Zarb’s story and asked Zarb to join them.  He did so, and ultimately arrived upon the campsite where we begin our journey…

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Re: Zarb Zarba: Half-Elf Sorcerer
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 7:41pm

>>> A clearing in the forest <<<

The sunlight penetrates the canopy in shafts that illuminate forest. The blasted outline of a man is highlighted in ash on the forest floor. Three ravens land on the outline and look like they are waiting for some grub to erupt from the ashy soil. One of the ravens hops to the edge of the blast mark and slow begins to shift. Feathers and wings slowly melt away and where once was nothing but a carrion crow now kneels a winged creature the size and shape of a fairy but with leathery skin and the wings of a bat.

The miniature beast runs his hands through the ash of the blast mark and lets it slide through his fingers like sand. As the fine ash falls back to the ground an invisible breeze catches it and it drifts to the west across the plains. An evil snicker is almost audible in the forest clearing and in a blink there are three ravens again.

The black birds take flight. Two of the birds head to the west over the woods heading towards the prairies known as the sea of grass while a lone raven flies hastily south towards the city of Holderness.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 5:32am

After the attack on the caravan which Zarb had somehow slept through he has decided to travel to the city Brix. After renting a room in the singing spirit Zarb meets up with his former companions. The coincidence is profound!

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 5:00pm

It was a bumpy ride but he made it.  Zarb Zarba stands outside the city of Brix and leans against his staff.  He sees the familiar sights of the city, the typical bustle, and senses the presence of the city's many gnomes.

"Brix!  That was easy.  Now...  where is that Brang?"

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 6:46pm

The evening streets of Brix give some small comfort to Zarb. While the “city” is no where near as grand as Holderness at least it has some semblance of comfort. Watching some children harass ravens roosting on the rooftops near a shrine for the dead, Zarb sees a vaguely familiar face walk out of the macabre shop adjacent to the shrine. The runes scribed door denoted a prayer to We Jas. “It’s the old-blood from the caravan. An odd place for the high elf to be”

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 4:11am

With just that quick glimpse of the shadowy figure leaving the shop, a torrent of memories came flying back to Zarb - memories of childhood, of bonding, of pain, of growth, adventure, and eventual betrayal. 

"Brang Karzohn!" Zarb gasped.  It was as faint and desperate as the final breath of an old wizard, but to Zarb it felt as if he was screaming as loud as he could.  His knees became weak and he crept into the shadow of an alley.  As Brang casually walked down the street, Zarb's eyes peered from around the corner, following his steps down the street.  "Odd place for him to be" Zarb thought to himself. 

Zarb wondered what infernal affairs Brang might be meddling with now.  As he wondered he became obsessed, and was determined to find out.  As a member of a dark sect of sorcery, banned by Zarb's own order but rooted in the teachings of the sorcerer's academy in Holderness, Brang's presence here in Brix was suspicious. 

(edited for continuity..LK)
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2009 at 4:34pm by hewhorocks »  

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 4:49pm

Zarbs share of the coins from the hoard wont last long.  Still if one is to buy new robes then it only makes sense to have them be acceptable to wear in any occasion, including formal affairs! Still it may be wise to be somewhat frugal.

The town is in a fervor talking about the “dragonborn and the elf who brought a small dragon through the gates. This bit of celebrity will not make things less difficult.

Brang is not hard to find or follow at least. He seems to be visiting many shops and is quite liberal with his purse while gathering what may be components for some great ritual.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 5:26am

Zarb watches as his friends step through the portal and prepares to do the same. Just as he takes his first step towards the water he feels a sharp pain in his neck. He whirls around to see a small bat-winged humanoid perched near the top of the chimney. The rope that had been so carefully tied then falls down the shaft, cut with demonic teeth.

Before Zarb can react the portal behind him closes trapping him in the musty cellar.

"No sneaking off to the shadowfall for you!" Hisses the imp.
"You wait here for the master, yes I will be rewarded not only find but capture as well. Ha-ha!" With the cackle still echoing in the air the being shifts into the form of a raven and flies to off, presumably to fetch Mell su Detok.

((Ok I wrote you out of this weeks session, write yourself out of the Cellar and back to a meeting place. No secret  doors in the bottom, 20' to the ceiling then 40' to the top. 75' feet of rope on the bottom. Mell su Detok will be there on Saturday... best to be gone long before that!  Smiley  ))

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print