Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Set up for Episode IV (Read 3987 times)
hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Set up for Episode IV
Sep 29th, 2009 at 8:51pm

Once the mallet strikes the gong, the rune carved boulder beside it begins to glow with a pale green light. The light grows to fill the entire paved patio and your surroundings become translucent. Colors are drained from every surface and shapes become a blur of lines. All at once you are aware of the faint sound of crickets chirping and though you aren’t able to see anything but a mass of translucent lines you notice a cool autumn breeze and the smell of burning grass. The sound of the crickets becomes subtly louder and what was once merely soft lines forming translucent shapes now appears as a small pine wood grove under a moonlight sky.

The grove sits atop a hill overlooking a familiar caravan route. From this vantage point the full moon illuminates the scene enough for you to make out a large mass of wolves creeping up on the unsuspecting caravan. While you marvel at the coordination they predators exhibit you feel for the caravan’s plight. You are to distant to even shout a warning as the mass of wolves descends upon the camp. In  awe you as the predators claim their prey.  Then above the fray a  figure silhouetted in the moonlight lurks on a hilltop across from you. As the carnage takes place below the figure arches its back and lets out a great howl that pierces the night. As if on cue the mass of wolves retreats from the camp dragging their victims into the dark and leaving the exhausted survivors to contemplate their luck.

The dark figure on the hill watches for a moment longer seemingly satisfied with the outcome then moves to the North West. 

If you want to pursue this hook  Zarb (and perhaps another) can write themselves into the caravan. Otherwise you can poke around here or head back to the city to pursue whatever threads you want. In which case Zarb should ride the caravan back to Brix.  For simplicity sake we will all level up together. Everyone should post your level 2 changes in your thread.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Re: Set up for Episode IV
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 9:10pm

Luke stands transfixed as another caravan full of people is slaughtered by wolves.  He clenches his fists and emits a low, animalistic growl, looking almost like a savage orc.  Once the figure in the moonlight leaves the nearby hilltop, he finds his human voice.  "Son of a BITCH!" he says, not too loudly lest he be heard from far away.  "Another slaughter of innocents that we couldn't do a damn thing about.  We need to catch this guy right now."  Eager to follow, he looks at the others, seemingly daring anyone to disagree.

[Side note: this forum has an odd way of dealing with profanity.  I wanted Luke to use the f-word, but the forum, um, "translated" it to the phrase "crappity smacking."]

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 6:24pm

Heh someone wants to avoid town... So one vote, should I start prepwork? If all are in agreement then Zarb should write himself out of the pit an into the scene (either into the caravan or a witness to the carnage himself.)

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 7:44pm

After the battle they had just fought, Aerandis watches the attack first with despair, then growing resolve.  In his heart he knows Nerisella would not want him to leave this problem unsolved, and the fact that they appeared right at the moment of battle seems to be a sign to continue in his task.  Watching the scene, he actually has sympathy for the wolves who are being forced to act against their natures.  As for the others, he is sorry that they fell to such an unnatural fate - an undignified end.

He turns to Luke: "I agree, we should see to this right away.  If the creature has left any tracks we'll be able to find it.  There may be a reason we are here, and I'd like to find out what it is."

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 5:22pm

Nadarresh moving with a slightly quicker stride, scans the area quickly & finds the best route through the forrest and towards the campfires and the scene of the attack.  "If we move quickly, we can get there before day break and the tracks will be fresh!  Perhaps we can directly aid the caravan and maybe we can find some items of use for sale.  Although I am quite comfortable in the forrest, I'd like to seek better provisions and supplies if they have them."  He ask Dayereth to use his magic to make his sword give off light, quickly draws a torch, lights it, hands it to Luke and starts moving off, knowing his companions will be close behind him.
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2009 at 9:40pm by moyphotos »  

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 6:11pm

Luke hesitates as Nadarresh begins to move off toward the scene of the attack on the caravan.  "I'm no tracker, but shouldn't we maybe start by going to that hilltop where the guy was howling at the moon a minute ago?  We tried following the wolves last time around and that didn't get us anywhere."

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 9:55pm

"We'd be of no use to anyone if we have no provisions to sustain us.  Also, I can't see well enough to track at night.  A fresh start with the caravan will be the best we can do before taking off after a creature that seems humanoid but with a howl seems to command them." 

(Nature Check +8, trained to see if I know what that figure might be from the hill.  Also a Nature + Stealth check to keep as quiet as I can while rushing through the forrest.)

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 10:49pm

Turning back quickly, he smiles, and seems to almost trip over a log but deftly hops over it, then shouts out, "The Caravan is North West too!!"  He turns and begins running, keeping just ahead of the party but within sight of them, his cloak flapping several times and almost catching on some low lying branches.  After three quarters of the way to the hill, he sheathes the glowing sword and steps atop a small booulder, about half his height and closing his eyes, listens to the sounds of the forrest. (Nature Check listening to fleeing animals, running from him, towards him, if there are any, any glint of light, something in the air, etc.)

He squats down and looks to see how far the party is behind him.  Seeing Arendis first, he motions him over, then realizes how dark it is as the torchlight illuminates Arendis but not himself.  He draws his sword to show where he is and waits for them to catch up.

IP Logged

TheHordePrince
Townfolk

orcs is best

Metairie, LA
Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 4:25am

Theren reaches for his mothers necklace first, then checks for the rest of his gear.  The wolves had come out of nowhere, and he had fought them for as long as he could.  If he had only been able to convince the damned drunken guardmaster to post sentries, perhaps the few children would still be alive...his heart burned with rage that he was only able to suppress through the dirge he sang for the departed, blessing the lives he knew and lamenting their loss.

His shield was broken in the carnage, but the rest of his gear was salvageable.  He idly wondered if this was how his mother met her end, and when he saw the lone figure howl his interest was only further piqued...

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 3:22am

As the party catches up, Nadarresh motions for Arendis to come over.  He removes the cloak and pulls out his old one from his backpack.

Holding the cloak out in his clawed hand, he waits for Arendis to take it.  "You should really use this instead of me, not that I don't think it's in better shape than mine," he says, flipping his road stained cloak, that is a faded black.  "Besides it just doesn't feel right.  I'm not sure if it's too big or I am just not used to it but I don't want it to hinder me when I am moving around and especially not in a fight."

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 5:02pm

Aerendis accepts the cloak from Nadarresh with a nod.  He flips it around his shoulders, and it fits perfectly.

"Thanks, I appreciate this.  I wasn't sure if I would need this cloak, but I have a feeling that we'll all need as much protection as we can get before this is through."

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 6:49pm

"I agree!  It wouldn't do well for you to be taken unawares while covering me with that bow of yours, that is for sure.  When we were younger, my brother and I would cover my father with our bows while he dealt with maurauders.  We would be safe and the two of us kept watch over him, until the day I started charging into battle more often than my father and brother combined.  They covered me from that point but it seemed that only happened when we went up against kobolds and wolves.  Normal sized wolves at that, not like the ones we've been seeing."

"I hope that we'll find out the source of them before gets too bad, as the number of wolves might even be too much for us!"

With that Nadarresh smiles and moves off continuing to head towards the overlook and the campsite.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print