Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DnD 4th (Read 3631 times)
ReverendKthulhu
Townfolk

I Love YaBB 2!

DnD 4th
Mar 13th, 2008 at 5:05pm

Did anyone manage to get in on the testing of it? Any opinions on whether it is a good or bad thing?

By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. ---- Socrates&&&&I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.&&-----Socrates

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Re: DnD 4th
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 11:16pm

4th Edition is out already? I will have to try to download it if i is. I will be sure to buy it if I think it is an improvement but I would not subject it to the players at my table unless they all wanted to.

Some of the ideas coming into it were really good. I want to see if it lives up to the "Mission statements".

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 7:48pm

Last I heard, 4th Edition will not be out until January 1, 2009.  There will be a 4-month pre-release to some publishers if they pay a $5,000 fee and sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 9:44pm

I thought there was some preview day recently that let some people see it and playtest.

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 5:51pm

4th Edition D&D Review, Ain't It Cool News

I've waited a long time to write this review. And let it be known now that what you're about to read isn't from someone who has gotten a hold of a bootleg playtest copy and gave it a quick once over. I've been playtesting 4th edition since late October.

The problem with Dungeons & Dragons has always been that everything is a special case. Every spell interacts with the universe differently and has to encounter a thousand different monsters. The soul of 4E is that now all those rules spin in the same direction, rather than flying off in a hundred different ones.

Now, there's a notion floating around out there that since the goal of 4E was to make the rules simple it means that they're making them stupid as to be easier for younger or dumber players to understand. But it is elegantly simple. Intuitive. It's like complaining that switching from DOS to Windows was stupid because now anyone could use a computer. When really all it meant was that now you didn't have to type all that code. Your computer wasn't dumbed down any.

The new combat system is glorious. There are so many options, so many opportunities to do really fun and incredible things, that the game becomes more about what you want to do in the moment rather than just sitting around waiting for your turn to come up.

Is there anything I don't like? Not in the rules. It's all nitpicky stuff about what gets released when. I miss my Half-Orcs, my sorcerers and kinda wish Druids were around for the initial release. Then there are a few complaints about the monsters that aren't out versus those that are. The rules? They are darn near perfect. I have zero complaints. I'm pretty confident most folks will feel the same way once they dive in.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Karloff
Townfolk

I Love YaBB 2!

Westbank (Harvey)
Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 4:12pm

I think I like this rant about the review Bayou posted, it just made me laugh. Not to mention kinda rung true.

Karloff

Smells funny ...
by Metrolang

Massawyrm, you are one of my favorites to read on here but this whole thing reeks. It smells like WotC has giving AICN a nice chunk of change and some free swag for a nice review. It reminds me of Harry's review for Cloverfield where JJ Abrams must've given that fat bastard a sweet hand job in exchange for a sweet review. What was wrong with 3.5? I don't think people get table-top RPGs at all. Or maybe i've been playing them wrong all my life. The rules are guidlines people. Guidelines. They are not to be enforced at the cost of fun. Read the DMs guide, it says it there many times that rules are optional. All rules. D & D and most other RPGs are what you make of it so if you don't have fun or you think it is too stuffy and rules heavy then it is your own fault. I've been playing 3.5 for a few years now with a group that loves it and gets upset when a session is cancelled and it is not because 3.5 is some genius game, it is because we have a frack-load of fun playing it. If you are a rules obsessed sissy then you wont have fun with any RPG and should stick to video games. If you can't cast a spell because the rules don't apply but the logic of your campaign does and the players don't see a problem then cast your spell. Is the book going to warn some rules police? Is the game going to crash? Ever heard of cheat codes in video games? Well the DM and players in an table-top RPG are the cheat codes and you can manipulate the game in any way so that YOU can have as much fun as YOU want. This review reminded me of many players who would sit in our sessions and complain that we didn't follow the rules of encumberance. If the rule interrupts the fun then frack encumberance and frack the rule. Your whole whole statement about characters sitting around doing nothing because they are out of spells or what not is a sign to me that your DM sucks and can't properly control the game and keep all players interested and with something to do. The group I played with now was confused at first because I stressed that they did not have to build a party. One guy did not have to feel forced to make the cleric just because we needed a cleric. I said for them to make the characters that they want to play and i'll take care of the rest. I'll figure out how to give them things to accomplish. That IS the job of the DM. That is the point of NPCs. That is part of what D & D is about, creating a world for characters to exist in that feels natural. I think WotC created 4E just to make it easier for the dummies and because they realized 3.5 had run its course and all the rich kids that could actually afford the billions of books already bought them so it was time to give them something new to waste money on. WotC has to create a new verion of D & D every so often because they don't know who to sell it to any more so their only option is to keep siphoning money out of the diehards who have loved D & D for decades now. They don't create anything fresh or innovative because there is no need to. It is like EA actually putting some effort into Madden; why should they bother? They know the diehards will keep coming back for more without question or complaint.

karloff_klexion  
IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 5:10pm

Karloff wrote on Mar 19th, 2008 at 4:12pm:
I think I like this rant about the review Bayou posted, it just made me laugh. Not to mention kinda rung true.

It was an interesting read, but in retrospect I wouldn't call that a review that I posted.  It's more of a foaming-mouthed masturbatory screed.  A friend said, "Wake me when ENworld gets a hold of it."

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 5:35pm

Next week, I'll have the opportunity to play in a demo game.  I'll post a review afterwards.

I'm still sold on OD&D and AD&D 1e, so I already know how I'll have to go about this.  That is, I'll have to forget that the name of the game purports to be Dungeons & Dragons, just like I had to forget that the current version is referred to as Dungeons & Dragons.  Both 3.5 and 4e must be viewed w/o comparison to the previous editions of the game.  Why?  Well, because 3.5 was such a significant departure of how the game was previously played, that it warrants being considered a new game.  4e will be the same way, from what I can see so far.

That said, whereas I'm very disappointed in the direction taken by 3.5, I'm at least interested in what 4e has to show.  As I said, I'm just going to anti-mantra the name Dungeons & Dragons out of the way, and just experience 4e as some brand new RPG and allow it to stand or fall on its own (de)merits.

Let's see how it goes.

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 10:07pm

We did have our demo game a few weeks ago.  A couple of them actually, but I only participated in one.  There was also a demo game last weekend at CoastCon.

Without going into a lengthy review, the bottom line is if you love computer games, especially MMORPGs, then you'll love 4.0.  Every character really can produce superhero effects every single round all day long.  No need to argue over who plays the cleric (never an argument for me, cause I like playing clerics), cause everyone really can heal themselves at least a half dozen or more times per day.

There is absolutely no low level gritty feel at all anymore, so if that's what you enjoy, then you may not enjoy 4.0.

I had a good enough time, because I enjoyed the game in a flashy, whiz-bang, superhero, pinball arcade kinda way (even though we were only first level).  So, for me, it would be a good enough game to play for one night in substitute of a board game, but it has no appeal for me as a campaign length RPG.  It's just way to munchkin.

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 10:20pm

Which could mean it will appeal to online players and younger newbies.

So the question is, when those new players start to mature, will they want something more Role and less Role playing and can the system support that.

I know the healing thing was supposed to be a big deal... so what makes a mage or thief different from a cleric?

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 7:33pm

That gritty feel was something I DID like about low levels.

I would think they could have designed spell casting classes to have more martial actions that work in conjunction with their (should be at least) very limited magical repertoire, in order to create the same amount of rounder per round options.

So really I love the idea of every class having something different, unique, and useful to do every round, and I think the spell casters could have this as well without flooding their options with spell ability.

This is the very really legitimate issue I have heard. One of the things I liked about 3.5 was at first level, you are not a hero (at least is battle prowess). You are Joe schmo with aspirations, and even the most normal commoner NPC class can threaten your life. If that goes away and at first level you are the shit, I am really not going to like that.

IP Logged

Jaeger
Townfolk

west bank
Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 7:32pm

obviously your character is going to be weaker at first level than at 20th level.  i don't think they removed this from 4th edition.  as far as feeling completely useless is concerned... you can have that.  at the end of the day, the thing that turns me on to role playing games is story and character development.  if you're dming a game and you can't find a way to make an interesting story around competent characters, then you're a crappy dm.  even superman has complications, and a 1st lvl wizard isn't going to be superman no matter how streamlined 4th edition is.

IP Logged

david
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot

one bad dude, not two

harahan, la
Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 7:50pm

the fact that characters can heal themselves and deal whole bunches of damage at first level does not mean that monsters are weak and only swing clubs. the characters would have enemies on par with their ability, otherwise they'd never level. for every superman, there is a doomsday, or something like that.

what i've seen of the handbook, at least, is that the rules cover stuff that roleplaying doesn't; ie, combat and other mundane things like movement and equipment. there aren't rules that tell you how to interact with people, that is for the players and dm to work out. there are skills like bluff and diplomacy that can help, especially for folks like myself that in d&d terms would have a very crappy diplomacy score. sometimes the randomness of a die roll makes things more interesting too, so you don't get bogged down in verbal repartee with a merchant about prices. that being said, the rules make low level characters pretty tough compared to the relative level of 3.5, but the increase in power isn't phenomenal and is more balanced for all classes. while the 20th level wizard of 3.5 was nigh invincible over a 20th level fighter, 4th allows the fighter better defense against the wizard's powers and the wizard as well can better defend himself when the fighter hits melee range. however, since characters aren't supposed to be fighting each other, that is irrelevant, as the dm can make up something to let any fighter breach a wizard's defenses, or vice-versa, just because that is what he wants to happen to make the game progress. the dm shouldn't roll over like a bitch and let players always win if that takes away from the fun, but if stopping the pcs diminishes the fun, then let the monster stomping go on.

i think the whole gaming experience should be able to be fun, whether you like hack-n-slash, character development, or a comfortable mix in an interesting world. game on, whether you play 3.5, 4th, white wolf, palladium, GURPS, or whatever, and have fun. right?

WWW woody_two_soul lechgame  
IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #13 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 11:48pm

So do we need a little area for our side 4.0 game. I think it is sufficiently enjoyable to keep doing it on the side whenever someone does not show up.

I have been reading 4.0, and I am trying to pick up the rules.

IP Logged

david
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot

one bad dude, not two

harahan, la
Reply #14 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 12:21am

couldn't hurt, i say, as far as a separate area for our 4ed game. we may need it.

WWW woody_two_soul lechgame  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print