Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New Gaming Store in Metairie (Read 5231 times)
Jeremy Henson
Townfolk

Owner, +1 Gaming of Metairie

Metairie, LA
Re: New Gaming Store in Metairie
Reply #15 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 4:36am

Must have been a glitch. It's open now. Thanks for the heads-up.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW plus1gaming http://www.facebook.com/plus1gaming  
IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Reply #16 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 5:36am

Good grief.  I must be Charlie Brown.  Now I receive the following error message when I try to vote on the games I play (I checked Board Games(strategy) and Other).

"Please choose a valid poll answer."

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

Jeremy Henson
Townfolk

Metairie, LA
Reply #17 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 4:09pm

My most sincere apologies. Looks like having the poll show up in two places at once (the post and the sidebar) caused the error. I removed it from the sidebar and it's working once again. Thanks again for the tip.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Casper
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Dogs of War
Top Ten
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Stark player
Esplanade

You want what??? For how
much???

Seattle
Reply #18 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 4:37pm

Wraith wrote on Jun 17th, 2010 at 7:21pm:
Have a snack and coffee bar.  You will make millions selling candy and chips.

I was going to say that.

Setup wi-fi for people with laptops and gamers might just hang out there (buying snacks) even when they aren't playing.  (People playing something should get dibs on the tables though.)

Don't waste my time.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #19 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 4:50pm

Casper wrote on Jun 22nd, 2010 at 4:37pm:
Setup wi-fi for people with laptops and gamers might just hang out there (buying snacks) even when they aren't playing.  (People playing something should get dibs on the tables though.)

I second the heck out of that.

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Jeremy Henson
Townfolk

Metairie, LA
Reply #20 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 5:53pm

Look forward to wi-fi, and snacks. We're working through our options on that, to hopefully avoid too much permitting requirements.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm really interested in a small lounge - a couch and a couple armchairs - for non-gamers to relax in, or even play a board game or card game.

IP Logged

Squeezie Cheeze
Townfolk

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Reply #21 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 6:04pm

LOL just go the news about a new store opening. So how is this facility for trolls going to be different from the last three? With all the same people showing up with the same history of warring against different games, alienation, nerd rage, petty squabbles, no life outside the local game store, and the forming of a new shop Clique that drives all outsiders before them? Not to mention the customers setting up shop to sell their own wares when your not looking. Let the betting begin on how long you hold out. The people LIVING in your shop will take over all the social (and anti-social) functions. Please tell me there will be store web-cams so I can watch it all remotely.
sarcasm aside good luck Wink

IP Logged

michael
MGG

new orleans
Reply #22 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 9:57pm

Squeezie Cheeze wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 6:04pm:
LOL just go the news about a new store opening. So how is this facility for trolls going to be different from the last three? With all the same people showing up with the same history of warring against different games, alienation, nerd rage, petty squabbles, no life outside the local game store, and the forming of a new shop Clique that drives all outsiders before them? Not to mention the customers setting up shop to sell their own wares when your not looking. Let the betting begin on how long you hold out. The people LIVING in your shop will take over all the social (and anti-social) functions. Please tell me there will be store web-cams so I can watch it all remotely.

WOW! Shocked
Lips Sealed

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #23 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 10:02pm

Squeezie Cheeze wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 6:04pm:

Obvious troll is obvious

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Admin account
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

maintenance account
Reply #24 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 10:35pm

I considered deleting the post and the account thinking the same thing.  But in the end, it is a real person and it is apparently their opinion.  While its a bit harsh and clearly rude, based on my experience at the local shops, I can't say its totally off the mark. 

I decided to let each reader give it the attention they think the post deserves.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Jeremy Henson
Townfolk

Metairie, LA
Reply #25 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 10:49pm

Thanks for leaving it. It looks like an honest opinion, and there have been real issues in our stores and larger community. I believe we can be bigger than our past.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #26 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 11:37pm

Good luck with the opening and I hope it goes off without a hitch and with a bang!

I wonder if the message is harsh or the thoughts behind them.  We all may have seen the good and bad sides of any place we like to hang out at get better and or worse.  I know the bad stuff happens, but my opinion is:

Glad you left it up, however I felt they should have started off with "good luck!" and then relayed their story or concept...not sure if it has happened to them as a former owner, which would change how we view the comments they put forth.  Some people just have a difficult time seeing the possibilities.

IP Logged

david
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot

one bad dude, not two

harahan, la
Reply #27 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 2:38am

I thought of that particular post as somewhat childish, though in essence some of the claims aren't exactly untrue. However, this new store might not be run by a guy that wants to hang out with his friends at work. It seems more of a business that will cater to the needs and some of the desires of gamers, be they card-flopper, dice-chuckers, or miniature-movers. It seems to be a place to game, a place to buy gaming products, and a place to perhaps socially network as gamers might do when not online. Sure, many gamers can get too nerdy (me....), and some have their own preferences of games (Vampire is way better than D&D! Huh uh...D&D can crit Vampire all day long! Well, GURPS will knock both 2d6 hexes back a few steps as it is far superior!), but in essence, that's just how folks are. If i like Magic: The Gathering more than Pokemon, so be it. Sell me som M:tG cards, and the 12 year old some Pokemon. We'll both agree that we are gamers, and move on. But, we can do it at a gaming store, find like minds, and start riots agree to disagree. If it gets problematic that people are loitering and not supporting the business, perhaps they'll be told to go home. I don't know the ultimate intent of this business owner, but I doubt it is to fail the way any others may have.

All-in-all, again, the post was somewhat childish. If it ends up true in the long run, so be it. However, I'm optimistic, and I'll go there to game, talk gaming, buy gaming supplies, and take my purchased products elsewhere to game. If there is a tournament or special event, maybe I'll be there. I've got a wife, kids, and a job, so I won't be living there like the stereotyped gaming nerd described.

The people that go there will make or break it; it isn't fair to kill it before it comes to life.

Or something like that.

WWW woody_two_soul lechgame  
IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #28 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 3:39pm

Squeezie, there's a difference between offering constructive criticism and being a total douche.

NEW FLASH: Opening a game store is difficult (or so I hear).

That's really all Lil' Squeezie was saying, but [s]he chose to be rude about it.  NOT COOL!  While much of what Squeezie Cheeze said may be true, I think most of us agree that his/her post was pretty unnecessary.  However, I do agree with Mr. Admin's choice to not delete it.  It's the Internet, for Christ's sake.  No one should delete a post unless it involves harassment or anything illegal.

Don't worry, Jeremy Henson.  You seem to be acutely aware of all the problems you may encounter with this project.  I'm not worried at all.  Your shop is going to be a hit.

Also, the fact that you plan to be open until 10 PM during the week and until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays changes EVERYTHING.  Seriously, I think that was the most important choice for you to make.  While most folks in the world think that tabletop gaming is for kids, we all know there's nothing further from the truth.  The world of RPGrs is chock-full of adults with real jobs and responsibilities - I, for one, have always felt stifled by the early-closing shops.  Considering no one in my social group is into gaming, the only real option I have is shops and online boards.  When shops close at 6, I'm pretty much shut off from the "live" version of the community.

Expect me to run my latest dungeon crawl + wilderness adventure soon after your store opens!

P.S.

Cheese in a Can (e.g. Easy Cheese) > Squeezie Cheeze (whatever that is)

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

shawnmtoups
Townfolk

Kenner
Reply #29 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 10:24pm

where is the store gonna be located?

shawnmtoups nightsonsmt  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print