Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New Gaming Store in Metairie (Read 5230 times)
Jeremy Henson
Townfolk

Owner, +1 Gaming of Metairie

Metairie, LA
New Gaming Store in Metairie
Jun 16th, 2010 at 9:34pm

Hi! My name is Jeremy Henson, and I'm opening Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. We'll be a "full service" gaming store, so to speak.

You can keep up with us at the website (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) or our Facebook page (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register). If you've got any questions or suggestions, please email me at jeremy@plus1gaming.com.

Thanks, and happy gaming. Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW plus1gaming http://www.facebook.com/plus1gaming  
IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Re: New Gaming Store in Metairie
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 9:37pm

Holy cow! That's awesome!  Smiley Are you going to carry D&D minis at a reasonable price?

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 9:45pm

I think I speak for most of the members of this forum when I say, "Right on, bro!" 

I, for one, welcome the hell out of your new shop.  My gripes about the New Orleans area FLGS situation can be found throughout this site.

Suggestion:  Charge a very low block-of-hours fee to rent gaming tables; pay a high-school kid minimum wage to stay until 9 or 10 to watch the store.  Require reservations and payment up front so you don't get screwed over AND so you know if you need to staff the shop during off-hours (I imagine some folks would like to play on weeknights after work). 

It really bums me out when people show up to shops for gaming sessions and don't buy anything.  That's 5+ people in your store ALL DAY not spending ANY money!  Come on, at least buy a comic book or something - jeez!  That's worse than bringing Taco Bell into a McDonald's.

I would pay $5-10 for a three-hour block.  Most people play longer. 

(DM + 4 players) * 5 hours = $125 @$5/hr/person or $250 @$10/hr/person

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 9:49pm

I think that sounds completely reasonable. I would also like to add that having military discounts in your store would put you into an even higher "coolness" bracket, and really, it's just good form.  Cheesy

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 11:12pm

Yeah and DM's play free! LOL.

Glad you found you way here. I think I can speak for the enitre new orleans gaming community when I say Good fortune!

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

michael
MGG

new orleans
Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 2:26pm

seems to me that if you started charging people $25/$30($5/hr,your low estimate) everytime they visited your store every other weekend, that the games would just move to another location. there are plenty of free locations to play d&d at. peoples homes being the most obvious! im all for dropping some cash at stores for game books, mini's, comics and what not, but i cant get down with charging up to $10 bucks an hour to play d&d.

IP Logged

Jeremy Henson
Townfolk

Metairie, LA
Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 4:27pm

A number of people have suggested charging for table space, so it's not an option I'm ignoring. Right now it's not in the plan though.

I believe the most value a gaming store can offer is the opportunity to network and be part of a larger community. That works best when it's free.

I also believe if we can sustain a healthy community, there will be enough paying customers to keep the store open (and keep me from needing a second job).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 4:31pm

I was thinking more for after-hours gaming. Anyway, people tend to take advantage of game shops and use them as a hang-out place. If that's cool with you then knock yourself out! I, for one, will be there regardless.

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 6:42pm

I can see the reasoning in charging for after hours play, or not allowing loitering without making a purchase. I know it seems kinda harsh to some people, but I would gladly show my support in that fashion. We have seen the disappearance of many game shops everywhere because they count on incoming revenue to stay open. If we all could take a little personal responsibility to make sure our business was going to local stores, we might see an even larger gaming community emerge than the one we have now. So I say keep an open mind when it comes to paying for after hours play.  Wink

IP Logged

michael
MGG

new orleans
Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 7:01pm

It makes sense to charge for after hours playing. There is no reason for shop owners to just throw away money to let a bunch of people hang out in the store after hours. I can even see wanting to charge for game tables during normal business hours. I have no problem with any of that. I understand capitalism and its need to suppress good karma and community. Wink
I’m only speaking for myself when I say, I’d rather spend my $30 on a game product and enjoy a good campaign at a friend’s house(or my own) than have to worry about how much time an encounter takes because I’m on a time limit and a budget.

IP Logged

Wraith
Lawgiver
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Dogs of War
Intelligent_Life
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
Esplanade

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 7:21pm

Have a snack and coffee bar.  You will make millions selling candy and chips.

IP Logged

michael
MGG

new orleans
Reply #11 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 7:42pm

Wraith wrote on Jun 17th, 2010 at 7:21pm:
Have a snack and coffee bar.  You will make millions selling candy and chips.

Grin
thats the best idea...

IP Logged

cyberdyer
MGG

There is much magic here.

Metairie, LA
Reply #12 - Jun 19th, 2010 at 1:31am

I'm really looking forward to your store opening.  Any idea when yet? Smiley

IP Logged

Jeremy Henson
Townfolk

Metairie, LA
Reply #13 - Jun 19th, 2010 at 2:04am

Our target opening is September.

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Reply #14 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 2:56am

I see there's some poll dated June 15 on your website, but can find no option that allows me to vote.  Is the poll over with already?

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print