Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Summing up... (Read 1523 times)
hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Summing up...
May 13th, 2010 at 7:04pm

After a brief rest the party continues to head towards Gable’s fork. Upon arrival the town is in an uproar. There are lots of folks carrying on about thieves and brandishing pitchforks, a large group of villagers is surrounding the charred remains of the troll in the center of town.  The dragon can be seen high in the sky flying to and from the valley northwards toward the mountains and though the villagers keep a wary eye to the sky they don’t seem terribly concerned. 

An interview with Hollian revealed  the towns opinion .“She was a fair sort of beast. Kept to herself, she charged a fee to keep trolls, wolves and such out of the area… kept her end bargain far as we could tell, until that troll you fought came into town….shame about the smith though…..I guess now we’ll need to bring up a watch, think that Treelord will bother us?  Oh Oak and Ash are the twins. Give Nerisella my best.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Re: Summing up...
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2010 at 12:48am

Can you clarify that a little?  The dragon is "flying to and from the valley northwards toward the mountains" -- that could have a few different meanings.

By "the valley" do you mean the hidden valley where the woad lives?  Or is there another "valley northwards toward the mountains" that I've forgotten about?

If "the valley" means the woad's valley, then are you saying that the dragon is seen flying in both directions -- "to and from" the valley?  If so, do we see it pass overhead multiple times, or just twice?  Was it last seen going northwards towards the mountains, or toward the valley?

Sorry, but this is all necessary in order to know what I (at least) think we should do next.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2010 at 6:22am

((Valley is the Woad's domain.... you notice it flying north west from the valley on two occasions separated by at least two hours. We are moving the time-line forward at least one extended rest.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2010 at 3:55am

I think we need to hear from Luke and Bret on what course then intend to pursue. It may be several days before you recover but OOC (out of character) how long will you wait...what will you want to do. With nothing anchoring the time-line we can move forward some...youre feverish for several weeks...Assuming both defenders are returning it can be catching. As soon as we figure something out the rest of the group can build characters into your intending location. Mind you Dayereth had the spiritual essence and without it/him it seems unlikely that the dragon-kin will awaken...

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2010 at 5:03am

Holy frackin' . . . what?  I miss one session and you all get killed?

Sean texted me to say so, but I assumed he was just bullshitting me.

I guess it must be really hard to get through a fight without any defenders.  I'm sorry for your losses, guys, but I'm looking forward to see what your new characters will be like.

Well, I guess what Luke would do is start to get worried after the other characters had been gone for ~5 days.  On the sixth day, whether he's feeling well or not -- and with or without Brent -- he would get up and go try to find out what happened to Aerandis, Dayereth, and Aaron.  He'd proceed cautiously, not wishing to simply get slaughtered by whatever may have defeated his comrades, but he'd probably head to the big tree and try to get the dryad to talk to him; and/or climb down and try to communicate with the mushroom people.

If he learns that they're dead, he'd want to see if he could get the bodies, but wouldn't seriously risk his life in order to do so.

Once he knows they're dead, Luke vows that they will not be forgotten.  Sooner or later, he thinks, this adventuring life will bring in a bit of money if he lives long enough.  And when that happens, he'll commission a stained glass window, or a statue, or at the very least an engraved plaque, in a church/chapel/monastery of Heironeous somewhere, to keep alive the memory of these brave men.

In the meantime, lacking the funds for such a memorial, he will at least get a pen, ink, and paper, and spend a couple of days jotting down his memories of the three dead men: their bravery and smarts, and the stories they told, whatever memories are most vivid.  Luke's handwriting is crap and his style is simple and plain, a poor substitute for a bard's work but enough to preserve his impressions of them for future generations.  The church of Heironeous has many historical records of brave and noble warriors; Luke knows that his dead companions will amount to little more than a footnote, but that's still something.  So he will be on the lookout, in his travels, for a church or monastery where there is a historian or custodian of records to whom he can give a copy of his notes.

Then Luke heads back to Feyfields and tells Nerisella of what has befallen.  She should be able to get word to Aerandis's people.  Luke recalls that Aaron used to be a guardsman in Holderness, so he writes a letter addressed to the town guards of that city, telling of what Aaron did before his death and how he died.  Unfortunately Luke has no idea how to contact any of Dayereth's people.

Luke decides not to abandon the hope that Nadarresh can be revived.  It will be sad, he thinks, to bring him back into a world that no longer contains Aerandis or Dayereth or Aaron.  But that's not reason enough to abandon Nadarresh to death too.  So he asks Nerisella what else needs to be done in order to accomplish that.

After Nadarresh is revived (or if that attempt proves unsuccessful), Luke wants to head in the direction of Shattered Bridge and learn more about what is going on with Stitches and the dracolich.  He feels that it is still his duty to atone for the disaster of the Drakespire, and furthermore that he must do it for the sake of his dead companions, so that their now-ended lives aren't permanently stained with having loosed this evil into the world.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #5 - May 24th, 2010 at 12:42am

unfortunately I believe the component for Nadderesh's rez is in an underground hive of Kruthik's... in an egg chamber as I recall. I am afraid your companions suffered greatly at the loss of any front line presence.

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2010 at 4:28pm

My recollection is that (1) the component we came here for was just some ingredient that the village healer had, not a unique and irreplaceable item, and (2) we sent a messenger to Nerisella with the component after last session, i.e., before Dayereth, Aerandis, and Aaron went back underground.

But if what you're saying is that Luke should quit trying to restore Nadarresh, then fine -- there could be many reasons why it can't be done.  That being the case, Luke is now mainly interested in destroying Stitches and the dracolich.

By the way: If Luke has the chance at some point to give his notes on his dead companions to an archivist or historian, he will leave out any mention of the Drakespire business.  It would only make the dead, the church, and Luke himself look bad.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #7 - May 24th, 2010 at 8:00pm

Neither unique nor irreplaceable though not common either. My notes do not include an NPC messenger though maybe its something I missed. I think given the disposition of the rest of the party we should start thinking about how far to advance the timeline and determine some injection points for new characters. I think if the ultimate destination is shattered bridge we should have either a reason for new characters to be headed (or from) there or have some reason to be following you there.

IP Logged

Cowboy
Townfolk

The R.O.U.S.s? I don't
think they exist

West Bank
Reply #8 - May 25th, 2010 at 6:28pm

Jesus......not only has it been a long week with some problems but nearly all Brent's comrades are dead!

I'll say that Brent stayed back with Luke since he has some training in the healer arts and can help out a bit and he viewed what the others were doing as more of a scouting mission.

That being said, when Luke comes to, Brent would probably follow Luke's lead in being worried about the others and going look for them.

He thinks the memorial statue is a great thought and agrees to help with such a thing. Brent also vows to right everything that has happened. That being dealing with the dragon, dealing with the draco-lich and coming back and exacting vengeance on whatever beasts killed there comrades.

(I'm really sorry guys. Now I feel bad for not being there.)

http://www.facebook.com/joshua.stelly  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #9 - May 25th, 2010 at 7:01pm

Hey.... sometimes real life is hard on fictional characters.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #10 - May 26th, 2010 at 3:33am

You mean they are not real?!

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #11 - May 26th, 2010 at 5:43am

Luke, after regaining at least most of his sanity ((see the post in my character thread)), says unhappily to Brent:

"Damn, man.  Things have just gotten worse and worse for us, ever since you met me and the others out there by the bridge with the drakes.

"I mean, first we brought the Dracolich to life... then Nadarresh got filth fever and died... then we couldn't kill that green dragon... now everyone else is dead.

"To tell you the truth, I think I was just born under a bad star.  Which wouldn't be too surprising, considering who my parents must have been.

"But that's not really the point... the point is, are you sure you want to stick around?  I wouldn't think any less of you if you just wanted to go live your life somewhere far away.

"But if you are sticking around, here's what's happening.  I've got a new mission from Heironeous.  I'm going to kill that Dracolich at last, hopefully before it completely wrecks Shattered Bridge.

"But to do that, I have to go first to the great northern marsh... find something called the sunken kingdom... and a town called Redbay.  There's a weapon there that I need.  I don't even know where any of those places are, but that's where I'm going.

"So if you want to come with me, we might be able to do some good.  Or you might just get killed like everyone else I've traveled with lately.  I can't say I really expect to live through this myself.  But you never know."

IP Logged

Cowboy
Townfolk

The R.O.U.S.s? I don't
think they exist

West Bank
Reply #12 - May 26th, 2010 at 5:56am

Brent look to Luke with a raised eyebrow, "This is exactly what I set out to do when I left my home. And it seems you, myself, and Heironeous are in agreement that the dracolich must be stopped."

"So of course I will travel with you. I only have one thing to ask of you, I wish you to spar with me as often as possible. I am in the midst of developing a new technique and I could use a live combatant to work with."

He extands an arm to shake with Luke, "But know this, I am Joseph Venyrth, decendant of the great Gregor Venyrth, and so long as I still breath and my heart still beats you shall have my swordarm."

http://www.facebook.com/joshua.stelly  
IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #13 - May 27th, 2010 at 5:38am

Luke shakes the offered hand. "Oh, the Gregor Venyrth, huh?  Cool, I've heard of him.  He was a real survivor.  I hope you are too.

"And I'll spar with you any time, just ask.  Did I ever tell you that used to be my job, being a sparring partner?  See where a chunk is missing from my right ear?  That was a 14-year-old kid trying to learn to use a halberd.  And the scar next to it?  That kid's little brother three years later, with a bastard sword.  Most of my scars are from the practice yard.

"Well, come on, get your sword and let's get outside.  We'll spar, and we'll drink, and we'll see if somebody can tell us where the great northern marsh is... and then we'll start walking.  Okay?"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print