Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Did the board get hacked or hit by a bot? (Read 423 times)
Kebb
Keeberon
Big Dog
MGG
JustSayNo

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Did the board get hacked or hit by a bot?
Apr 29th, 2010 at 2:21pm

So are all these random posts by qazbabys the work of a hack or a bot?  they all are completely random bits from books or something with links to world of warcraft powerleveling or gold buying sights

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Re: Did the board get hacked or hit by a bot?
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 2:38pm

To me it looked like high school essays.  I bet it was a bot, since it commented on the first 5 available links down the line in the General Board.

IP Logged

Admin account
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

maintenance account
Re: Did the board get hacked or hit by a bot?
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 6:25pm

I used to get over 1000 bots a month on the forum but I played with the code and now even 1 hit is rare.  When they do get in, they post 5-10 random messages.   Following the links will get you attacked by a virus.

To get past my changes a person has to look at why the bot is failing and then try to work around what I did.  It takes them time to do it so generally its not worth it.  If someone changes what the bot does to get around my hack I can change my hack faster... at least, that's the plan.

So if you see anything about WOW power gaming or ED pharma products, just ignore it.  I will clean it up.  I check the forum at least once a day unless something unusual is going on.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print