Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Makin' Maps (Read 1017 times)
beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Makin' Maps
May 12th, 2010 at 7:41pm

I need to make some maps for a game I'm starting.  I found AutoREALM which looks useful, but the maps themselves are kind of ugly.  I also found Campaign Cartographer, but I don't feel like paying the money.

Wat do?  Suggestions?

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Re: Makin' Maps
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2010 at 11:03pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Not as pretty as some but functional and free. The paid version is a little better but even the free one works

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2010 at 5:09am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or RegisterMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #3 - May 16th, 2010 at 6:19pm

Priest,  I had you pegged for a hex paper guy...learn something new everyday. Wink

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

settle for lies.

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2010 at 2:17am

LOL.. you were actually spot on, but I couldn't find a good image of a hex paper.

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

settle for lies.

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2010 at 2:22am

My suggestion, however, was only half tongue-in-cheek.  After using CC for awhile, I went back to hand drawn maps, and discovered I actually get more enjoyment that way.  Sometimes I use color pencils, but mostly, I stick with simple line drawings.

I'm not knocking CG maps, some of them look pretty good, but there's just more visceral appeal to using pencil and paper for me these days.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #6 - May 17th, 2010 at 2:38pm

Hand drawn maps are good fun but have historically suffered from soda spills, cat attacks, and various other calamities. I like CC because it allows for easy replication, easy rescaling (to add more detail or zoom out) and i can email my self a copy so I always have access..even in the even of a 20ft high wall of water and debris crashing into my house...

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #7 - May 17th, 2010 at 3:11pm

Priest: I ended up just busting out the graph paper.  I took a look at Campaign Cartographer and found the art to be too slick-looking.  I tried another app, AutoREALM, which was free but was a tremendous pain in the ass to use and the art was terrible.  It was also just generally clunky.  Interesting note: Apparently AutoREALM was written in Delphi using TurboPascal.  Weird, right?  I mean, who are these people?

All I want is something that allows me to quickly throw something together without it looking terrible.  It'd also be nice to have click-able annotations.  I'd write one myself if I wasn't so lazy.

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

settle for lies.

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2010 at 5:21am

hewhorocks wrote on May 17th, 2010 at 2:38pm:
Hand drawn maps are good fun but have historically suffered from soda spills, cat attacks, and various other calamities.

Ahhhh .. that's called character.   Cool

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #9 - May 20th, 2010 at 11:18pm

Well the nice thing about software created maps is no degrading of the source material due to character and personalized reproductions/ modifications are quick to do.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print