Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Paintin' Minis (Read 1113 times)
beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Paintin' Minis
Feb 19th, 2010 at 2:59pm

Folks:

I bought a metal miniature recently.  Of course, I need to paint it.  However, I have no painting supplies.  Quite frankly, I don't really know what I'm doing.  Bearing that in mind, where's a good place for me to get something cheap that will work?  It doesn't have to be great.  I went into Michael's (the big chain arts and crafts place) in Harahan and they didn't have anything that looked good.  I talked to a guy who said I can get tubes of paint at Wal-Mart for $2 apiece or something, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?  I live Uptown but I'm willing to venture out.

Thanks!

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Re: Paintin' Minis
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 5:55pm

ok painting miniatures 101.

Wash and dry the mini, clean the flash off....prime the mini..use water souluable acrylic paints and thin them down. Unless you plan to go into the painting hobby best get a basic miniature paint set ( usually 4-5 colors). I'd check out galactic (before it closes) or hub hobby. Saty away from paints that need thinner and dont go for anything "glossy"

Many things will work as paint but unless you are very talented or experienced its hard to get good results without the right paint.

peek at this Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

and this

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Gman
Townfolk

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Belle Chasse
Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 12:25am

My wife paints our miniatures and does superior work, if you have any questions on that I can pass 'em on to her for you.

Gman gmanv4  
IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 3:23pm

I'm just looking for the cheapest decent solution.  I'm not too interested in getting into it as a hobby or anything.  It's really out of necessity; I just prefer the way painted metal miniatures look, so that means I have to paint them myself.

Apparently I need some tiny brushes (5/0, 000, etc.) which I was unable to find at Michael's the other day - I can walk there from work.  As it happens, Michael's kinda sucks.  Their paints appear to be overpriced and their selection looks pretty limited.  I feel like I should be able to buy a tube of paint for $2, but that doesn't seem to be the case there.  Admittedly, I might just be looking in the wrong place.

Any guidance in terms of where to buy stuff locally is really what I'm looking for.

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 5:07am

You can buy 20 $2 tubes and you really wont have much luck with anything thats suitable.

search ebay in games for paint sets

something like this might be the closest youll get to inexpensive basic sets for miniatures.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

it doesnt help that those into the hobby of modeling tend to be quality sensitive. The same grade of materials you would find suitable to do your minis tend to be used in "Fine art" applications, museum dioramas etc.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

david
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot

one bad dude, not two

harahan, la
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 12:21pm

i tend to see a "you get what you pay for" effect in painting. if you check out michael's weekly ad, they occasionally have 40% off one item coupons, and you can go to the store, grab a handful of those coupons, and go in for multiple trips to stock up on paint. they normally don't care how many times you come in with them, as they make their profit either way. i'm not sure how other stores would do it though, and i think michael's just has basic acrylic and oil paints, and then model paints for plastic models. i'm not sure what works best on metal; i always used model paint on plastic figures back when i painted stuff like that.

in fact, i've still got a basic set of model paints (6 flat, 6 glossy, basic and metallic colors) made by testors that you are welcome to have if you want it. i live close to the elmwood michael's (citrus creek apartments, if that helps) and can meet you somewhere if you want them. let me know if you are interested and we can figure something out.

WWW woody_two_soul lechgame  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 5:26pm

Intresting thread here re: paints

IP Logged

Grendel
Keeberon Player

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Terrytown
Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 5:01am

Hey I have paints you can use if you want to get together and do some painting. It is also important to prime your mini's before painting them. I'm not great at painting but enjoy the hell out of it, and have not been able to do it for the last year or so. Also I have mini's that you could practice on if you find an unpainted one you like in my stuff.

Daniel

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 3:41pm

Yeah man, definitely.  Sounds like a lot of fun.  Would you mind bringing some of your gear to the Kebberron (I'm refusing to say, "Keeberron," because it DON'T MAKE NO SENSE) game next weekend?  I have a primed mini but I'm not sure if it's satisfactory.  It'd be nice to pick someone's brain in person.

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print