Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
General Questions About the Forum (Read 1700 times)
beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
General Questions About the Forum
Mar 23rd, 2010 at 6:41pm

1.  What do the stars under the names mean?
2.  Some people have little ribbon things under their name that correspond to the campaign their involved in.  How do you set that?
3.  How does one go about creating a new forum section for a campaign?
4.  Where's the keg?

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Re: General Questions About the Forum
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 2:38am

The site admin will be around shortly.

Admin account
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Give him a PM if you want to open yourself a second. As for the test of it, I have no idea.

IP Logged

Admin account
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

maintenance account
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 4:12pm

beyonder wrote on Mar 23rd, 2010 at 6:41pm:
1.  What do the stars under the names mean?
2.  Some people have little ribbon things under their name that correspond to the campaign their involved in.  How do you set that?
3.  How does one go about creating a new forum section for a campaign?
4.  Where's the keg?

The first thing to understand about this forum is I started it as a non-commercial alternative to sites like meetup.com.  I don't want ads and I get nothing from the site other than the use of it for my own interaction with the local gaming community.  In the past we had occasional meetups and I try to stop by the various games when locations are published just to meet people.   I've put aside a certain amount of money (not much) to host and run the site and as long as I don't have to spend a lot of time or extra money I will respond to requests to help others with their games and contacts.

Note that while I intend the site to be non-commercial I don't mind on topic posts of a commercial nature.  That is, posts about cons, sales at local or internet gaming stores, mini or card game competitions, etc.  While all of these are commercial I think they would be of interest to gamers so that's fair game.

I could argue politics or religion ad nausium too but I remove such threads when I see them.   If enough people really wanted to talk about that stuff I'd make another forum.  This forum is for gaming and gaming related activities.

Given the focus I am happy to make a forum area for any gaming store (RPGs, minis, CCG) to post ads.  I'd be a little less open to making a comic book area.  Commerical but of interest to gamers seems fair, but only because its of interest to the gamers.   I'd be happy to make an area for discussion of minis or LARPing.   Its fair for the local LARPers to post their meeting times in the open games area.  I'd make an area for war gamers or for discussion of old-school painting of minis if people would post about it.   Anything gaming is fair game.

1.  By default the forum will give you stars based on number of posts.  I made the forum ranks from posting sort of D&D based.  For posting it is:

500 Third Level 
250 Second Level 
100 Adventurer 
001 Townfolk 
000 Fodder 

for number of posts and title.  Each level gives you another star.   But the default stars and colors can be overridden with titles I can associate with your account.  You can't do it.  But its not arbitrary.  Those titles are used for forum permissions.  There are 'hidden' areas of the forum that can only be seen if you have the right title.

In addition to being a place for all gamers to meet and talk this is also the place where my buddies post and talk about our game.  We have different sections for the various games we've played in the last 3 years, in character areas, random chat areas, places where one player can talk to the current DM and no one else can see it.  Basically for each game we have a forum area for communication during the week.

Everyone can see the Wyverndale area because that was there choice.  That was the first area for a gaming table that I am not involved in.  More recently the Meetup Game Group got added for their game and I have a pending request to setup another area.  These areas can be public or private depending on what the DM wants.  Wyverndale is open to the public for reading and posting I think.  MGG is open to read but only the group members can post.  To enable that I have to give them titles and that may or may not affect the color and number of stars.   Generally I also give the DM a title as part of setting up the permissions and access.

2.  I just answered that in #1.

3.  You have to talk to me.  I don't actually log into this account much so its best to post something saying you want to discuss it.

4.  I don't drink beer.  If I am going to drink alcohol, its going to be something much stronger.

Does that answer your questions?

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Dr. Nemesis
MGG
Keeberon Player

Half Man/Half Awesome

Broadmoor
Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 5:46pm

Are there local LARPs?

http://facebook.com/profile.php?id=1177546823  
IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 5:53pm

I heard some guys at Z'otz talking about it last year.  There's some guy named Krazy that's advertised here (again, last year) as well.

Peep this:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I hope that helps.

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Casper
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Dogs of War
Top Ten
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Stark player
Esplanade

You want what??? For how
much???

Seattle
Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 7:36pm

The link in the post mentioned above is still the right link for the local LARP group.  They do Vampire and Changeling.  The location of the meetings has moved though and its my understanding they can be slow to respond to stuff on the meetup page.  Email Krazy directly and you should be able to get details about their next meeting.

Don't waste my time.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 2:38am

Quote:
Are there local LARPs?

Reply:

Quote:
Peep this:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 8:34pm

SombreNote DM wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 2:38am:
Quote:
Are there local LARPs?

Reply:

Quote:
Peep this:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

Smart Ass

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 9:02pm

The link used to work.  I pasted that with only the best intentions!

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Casper
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Dogs of War
Top Ten
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Stark player
Esplanade

You want what??? For how
much???

Seattle
Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 9:30pm

The link still works but what you posted was the result of the recentpost search.  If Krazy ever came back and posted more than the result of the search would change.

What you wanted to post was:

Which is the link to the post.  Sombrenote may have been laughing because the post is a link to an event that is long since over.  Its still Krazy's address but the LARPers are gaming at a different location now.

Don't waste my time.

IP Logged

Dr. Nemesis
MGG
Keeberon Player

Half Man/Half Awesome

Broadmoor
Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 9:41pm

Yeah, I went and met up with those folks. They seem like very nice, experienced players. I know a lot of people here are looking for games or fellow gamers, so you may want to check them out. They're on meetup (which you can get from the links above), and I'll be making them a legit website in the near future. They're on a recruiting drive and are avidly trying to find new players who may be interested in giving live action RP a shot. Their current games are Vampire: The Requiem, Changeling: The Lost, and Vampire: The Masquerade (Sabbat). If you're not familiar with any of those, just PM me or something, and I can give you a lot of useful summaries (I've played a LOT of White Wolf games).

If you've never tried LARP before, you should really do it at least once. I know it can seem silly, weird, intimidating, or any number of other things--but keep in mind that we all thought the same stuff about tabletop gaming until we tried it for ourselves  Wink

I haven't played with them yet, but I can vouch for them being nice, sociable, fun people who were extremely nice to the new guy (me). I'll probably stick some stuff in the WW section of this forum when their site gets up and running. Just let me know if you have any questions or would like to come try them out with me  Cool

http://facebook.com/profile.php?id=1177546823  
IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 10:08pm

You know I don't think it was ever odd to play D&D or table top games at all.  We didn't have cable though so most anything was better than just sitting at home during the winters.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #12 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 7:59pm

I'm with Sean on that one. I never thought tabletop games were weird in the least. Then again I predate most of the public perception of D&D by several years. I remember the "your invoking satan" years well but by the time D&D was fit for mocking I was well above hearing any such nonsense.

Now Larp on the otherhand seems too much  like playing "Cowboys and Indians" or "cops and robbers."  I'm sure its a good time if your into it but meh... Im not into it.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Kebb
Keeberon
Big Dog
MGG
JustSayNo

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Reply #13 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 3:54pm

I can't think of Larping without thinking of this youtube video

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print