Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RP thread -- after the bridge battle (Read 958 times)
elwyn
Adventurer

A wandering monster attacked
me.

RP thread -- after the bridge battle
Jan 18th, 2010 at 10:58pm

((If I remember correctly, we fought the drakes and ogre on the bridge in midafternoon, then found shelter and took a six-hour extended rest.  So, assuming nothing attacks us while we're resting, it should still be before midnight when we wake up.

I figure we should have a thread in which we talk, get to know Brent a little bit, and perhaps opine about what to do next in light of (1) the conversation with the fairy and (2) the weird fact that the ogre seemed to know we had the amulet or at least that we had some bit of magic he was interested in.))

Luke, in a blunt and serious voice: "Well, Brent, we made it across the bridge.  And we might all be dead now without you.  So I'm grateful, but I still don't know what made you travel all the way out here looking for us -- or what you're hoping to find.  We're about to deal with some sketchy people out here and it would make things easier if we had a reason to trust you... although standing by us when that battle got tough was a good start."

IP Logged

Cowboy
Townfolk

The R.O.U.S.s? I don't
think they exist

West Bank
Re: RP thread -- after the bridge battle
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 10:14pm

Brent thinks to himself for a second before beginning, "I just thought you could use the help. It may sound a bit cliche' but I have devoted myself to helping those in need. Especially those less fortunate than I. Why just a week ago I helped a farmer bring in his crop. I do have to be honest though, that was the first "real" battle I've ever been in."

http://www.facebook.com/joshua.stelly  
IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 10:44pm

Luke: "First real battle, eh?  If that's true, then you've been trained very well.  You'd destroy any new recruit I've ever met.  Mind if I ask where you got that kind of training?"

IP Logged

Cowboy
Townfolk

The R.O.U.S.s? I don't
think they exist

West Bank
Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 4:31am

Brent becomes apprehensive at the mention of his training, "Well erm....I used to watch the knights sparr at the nearby Baronet's grounds. Other things I picked up here and there. Perhaps I am just somewhat of a natural. Where did you train if you don't mind my asking?"

http://www.facebook.com/joshua.stelly  
IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 5:39pm

Luke gives a knowing, amused grin.  (With his scarred face and crooked, pointy teeth, this is not a pretty sight.)  "Well, I guess if you were trying to fool us into trusting you, you'd have thought up a better story than that!

"But you're not the only one who'd rather not talk about where he learned to fight.  I'll keep that to myself until I know you a bit better."

He gestures toward Nadarresh.  "This guy has taught me a few good moves, though."

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 4:49am

As you rest allowing Nadarresh to recover yet again from his wounds the paths to Drakespire presents several options. You sit on a high bluff overlooking a plateau of jagged foothills and  short mountains. The top third of each  mountain is  barren rock though alpine forest blankets the lower two thirds smoke from cook-fires rise out of from beneath the treeline. The forests of  hills are known to have at least two goblin tribes. From this vantage point you also can follow the North Kelix river carving its way to the North East. Following the river, the visibility is clear enough to see the peaks of the Rocky twins. A great wide valley runs from beyond those peaks north west to Drakespire.  Traveling along the banks of the river may be a bit longer but the ground is relatively open and as a cliff  and the river itself protects your flank you may make much better time. Still the way is longer by maybe two leagues as the crow flies.

The shortest route by far would be to travel directly north using the open ground above the treeline to make better time. This would expose you to anyone watch for you however.

Alternatively you could make you way through the forests circumventing any open ground. You may pass unseen through the woods though you would pass through the territories of the goblin tribes and worse you may lose your way in the tangled maze of brambles.

Lastly you could follow the river past the Rocky twins to the wide valley and then move through it to the Drakespire. This path is considerably longer though certainly much safer and has easy landmarks to follow.

((Discuss your options...dont make me map out all three please   lol))

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

OG
Townfolk

There is no spoon.

Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 10:45am

Dayereth looks glumly over the territory ahead.

"I'm exhausted, and without a horse, but I think we have to go by the fastest route, and that means along the treeline, exposed.  There are other considerations though, like how are we doing on supplies? I think I'm down to one day of rations.  Would it be easier to find food by the river?  It might be safer to go by the river, but we'd have to force march for extended times, and that means risking more exhaustion."

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #7 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 8:36pm

Nadarresh exhausted but fully aware he is not in the battle anymore and is most certainly not dead.  Awakened by Dayereth talking about which way to go, he slowly rises, listening to them talk, as he recalls how he got here but recalls little else except being downed by one of the Drakes.

He gets his waterskin out, takes a long drink and then sits again near the fire.  As he sits, he closes his eyes and thinks back upon the previous days fight and how ineffective he was in the overall fight, instigating the drakes instead of killing them.  His lightning breath, however much smaller than a true Dragons, could and had been effective but had to be used from its maximum distance.  Also, making better use of his weapons when fighting to make sure each strike would be the best possible strike.

He opened his eyes while listening to Dayereth and added in, "I think we should stick to the river...It will give us enemies from only two directions instead of many.  Also, the fish will have offer us a better place to find food, whether it be from the fish or those that choose to drink from it."

After speaking his peace, he pulled out his sword and flail, worked them around his body, not faster, but closer to his body, letting it flow around him rather than striking out so randomly.  At first he did little more than scrape against his scales along his shoulders but after a few moments, his movements became more fluid and he was able to swing his swords with more grace.  He took several steps, towards a small copse of trees and bushes that had fallen and were dead, all the while weaving his swords around him.  As he came within weapons reach, he struck out first his sword, then the flail closely behind it hitting the same mark within a hands breadth of each other.  He turned again and struck at another tree, and did the same, this time a bit closer.  After about a dozen hits, he struck each time with each blow coming within two fingers of each other.  As he began to get bored, he stepped left and turned, continuing to whirl his weapons about him and then jumped forward and to the side, then unleashed his lightning breath.  Much to his surprise, it struck not the trees in front of him but the ones behind them nearly three times the distance.  Causing a mid sized ball of lightning to spark near and around the trees.

His sword and flail stopped moving then, as he moved back further and again unleashed his breath weapon.  This time he thought to aim it a little to his left at the dead trees he had been hitting.  He struck at the base of the one sending curling energy around it, singeing it slightly, as it was dry and brittled.  He started moving his weapons and with practice was able to draw the flail as quickly as his sword soon and after about an hour, he was able to aim his lightning anywhere he chose within about fifty feet.  Once though he aimed too close to himself and if not for him jumping away quickly would have gotten himself.  He sheathed his weapons and went back to the others to see what they had talked about for their route...

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #8 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 10:44pm

Luke: "Yeah, this food shortage is starting to be a problem.  Brent, did you happen to bring any extra?  It would be great if we wouldn't have to slow down to hunt or fish."

"As for the route -- I guess we should probably go the fastest way, above the treeline.  After the last few days I've pretty much had it with forests and brambles.  And even if something might see us up there, well, it's not like we'd be invisible if we went the long way along the river.  I just care about getting there in time, and hopefully without wiping ourselves out with any more forced marches."

"By the way, Dayereth, I am sorry if I was pushing us too hard on our way to the bridge.  I know you're a tough guy and you don't need anyone's sympathy but, well... thanks for toughing it out."

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 1:18am

The needle fanged drakes had come a little too close for comfort for Aerandis.  He knew that he had to act quick when they came close enough to hear their tramping and chittering.  In an act of desperation, he summons his spirit guide (the dire badger) and together they commence tunneling a narrow trench.  When it is deep enough (after a few minutes) they cover Aerandis with dirt and leaves, with a small space to breath.  Using his recent training with the shaman, he puts himself into a trance, reduces his breathing, and remains hidden for the space of several hours (wandering in and out of conscious thought).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print