Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Session 6 January 2 2010 A Journey and Discovery part 2 (Read 2332 times)
moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Re: Session 6 January 2 2010 A Journey and Discovery part 2
Reply #15 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 10:26pm

((I am pretty sure that it was 20 foot wide walkway of main bridge, 5 foot wide railing, five foot side area.  I also recall there are breaks in the railing at certain points, showing how they are worn down.))

IP Logged

OG
Townfolk

There is no spoon.

Reply #16 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 11:00pm

"What about Drummer?"
(the horse)

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #17 - Jan 13th, 2010 at 5:30pm

((Difficult to say from this distance; however the bridge appears to be 20-25 feet wide with broad walls wide enough for a man to stand on either side.)) The bridge is made of stone. There is no discernable ledge on the outside of the walls.))

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #18 - Jan 13th, 2010 at 6:28pm

As Nadarresh moves a bit closer, he sees the wall is thick enough and tall enough for someone to stand upon but there is no ledge.  He quietly sighs, thinking of yet some other way to get past so many foes without getting killed in the process.  He moves back towards the others, so he can stretch out and as he stretches, he thinks of an idea that may actually work.

((Using nature he wants to forage and hunt for a large deer or boar.  He is going to trap it if possible and as a last resort kill it quickly and cleanly with as little blood as possible.  He will then hang it in a tree on the opposite side of the bridge about three-quarters of a mile, enough to be far enough away but close enough for them to smell it (If they are on the south east side, he will put it on the south west side or vice-versa) He will then create a blood trail leading to the creature, using smaller game.  The idea is to get the Drakes to seek out or catch the scent of the food and move away from the bridge.  As enough of them move away we try to get across as quickly as possible, avoid fighting and then as they get acorss then they can put down a cloud of daggers to block their escape or slow their enemies.))

He quickly relays his idea to the others to see what they think of this idea...
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2010 at 9:22pm by moyphotos »  

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #19 - Jan 13th, 2010 at 8:38pm

As he waits for the others to absorb his idea, he kneels down and prays softly to Bahamut to guide them through this situation.  As he finishes, he draws the first half of the bridge up to the tower as he can recall in the dirt, trying his best to include all the details.  He even includes circles where soe of the Drakes were milling about.  Hopefully their next meeting with the Drakes will be favorable to the group.

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Reply #20 - Jan 13th, 2010 at 9:33pm

Luke: "Interesting.  I wonder how quickly you could find -- Hmm, no, wait, I don't think it's a good idea.

"I'm pretty sure there's at least one pack of needletooth drakes nesting near here, and maybe more.  The little guys that attacked us at night, remember?  I saw the swaths they cut through the undergrowth between here and the bridge.

"So if you start throwing blood around and trying to attract drakes, you might make those guys decide to show up and join the feast.  Make our odds even worse.

"Here's what I guess I think.  I know we're short on time, but let's watch and wait for a while.  Try not to move around too much or let anything know we're here.  Dayereth should get as much rest as possible.  Nadarresh and I should watch the bridge, see what the ogre and the lizards do.  Maybe they'll do something that gives us an opening.  Maybe they'll go to sleep -- I don't even know if these things are normally awake in the day or the night.

"If we're lucky, that'll give Aerandis a chance to follow our tracks and catch up to us.

"If we watch and wait for a while, and nothing seems to look any better, then I think we should just sneak as close to the bridge as possible, then run straight across it without trying to kill all the lizards.  We get to the other side and hope they don't chase us."

Luke shrugs.  "I know, it's kind of a crappy plan, but... well, sometimes you just don't have a lot of options."

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #21 - Jan 13th, 2010 at 9:38pm

((Leigh, a couple more questions:

1.  It's winter.  Any chance the river below the bridge is frozen?  Also, am I right in thinking that there's no snow on the ground here, since you mentioned swaths through the undergrowth earlier?

2.  Does that tower in the middle of the bridge go very far up or down from the bridge?  Does it go right down to the ground?  Is it just a one-storey structure sitting on the bridge?))

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #22 - Jan 13th, 2010 at 9:50pm

Luke fiddles with his new hat, trying to get it to fit just right.  It's not as comfortable as the old one...

"Hey, wait, what about this?  Remember when the first bunch of needletooth drakes attacked us?  We had a fire going at night and they gathered all around us, like they were drawn to it.

"So what if we do the same thing here?  Somewhere up on this ridge, but where they can't see us from the bridge, we gather some sticks and build a fire.  We douse the sticks with oil to make sure it will start burning quick and brightly.  Then, come nightfall, we light it up.  The lizards will see that.  Maybe they'll go to it.  We could even kill a deer or something, like you said, and leave it by the fire for them to eat -- keep them busy for a while.  Then we sneak past in the dark and cross the bridge.

"...Oh, wait, no.  There's already a fire in that guard house in the middle of the bridge.  If it's true that they like fire, they might just stick close to that and not go to our fire.

"Feh... I wish I knew more about these damn lizards.  I have no idea what to expect from them, except that they're vicious."

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #23 - Jan 13th, 2010 at 11:19pm

Nadarresh looks up from the dirt and says, "That's a good idea!  I think we should try it.  We keep watching, and after gathering more data we light that fire!  If it draws them, great, if not, it should pull some interest from at least the Ogre.  He seems to be in control of them so although they might ignore it or be drawn to the fire, he might send them out to investigate or kill whatever started it.  We wait until they move and then make our move to the bridge!!  this might work afterall..."

IP Logged

OG
Townfolk

There is no spoon.

Reply #24 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 5:07pm

Dayereth grits his teeth again.

"I hate to say this but there's one flaw to that plan.  Once the fire is lit, lizards will start coming toward it, particularly at night to inspect it.  That will leave anyone lighting the fire with a big column of lizards in between them and the bridge."

"The solution is for one person to light the fire off to one side of the bridge, while the other two hide off to the other side. Once the bulk of reptilian death walks past, the two in hiding make a run for it across the bridge while the one at the fire leads the lizards as far away as possible."

"I make the most sense to light the fire.  I can use spells to imitate a larger force (ghost sound) and my combat spells damage a larger number of weaker (cloud of daggers, fire shroud) opponents.  I also have a horse and can escape more quickly."

"You two, on the other hand, are better equipped to deal with a lesser number of more powerful foes, such as the ogre, who, assuming he's in charge, is the least likely one to abandon the bridge."

"If I'm very lucky, maybe I can circle around after distracting the smaller drakes and try to make the bridge after you two."

"Of course this plan could also lead to a retardedly quick death for all of us."

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #25 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 6:31pm

Luke:  "Yeah, that is kind of partly like what I had in mind.  The way I see it, after one of us lights the fire, the lizards aren't just going to go running towards it.  They'll take a little while to notice it and go look.  So whoever lights it should have at least a little bit of time to get away from the fire and circle around to a hiding place.

"So I guess my idea would be -- We choose a spot to light the fire, and then we choose a spot to hide that's not near the fire and as close to the bridge as possible.  Preferably the fire is more to one side of the bridge and our hiding spot is to the other side.  Then Nadarresh and I hide, maybe with Drummer, and wait while you light the fire and circle around to us.  Hopefully the lizards go to the fire and then we jump out and run across the bridge.

"It's damn brave that you want to try to lead the lizards further away, but I think it'll just get you killed.  Even if it doesn't, it could easily mean that we end up having to wait for you or go back for you, instead of all of us just speeding across the bridge as fast as possible."

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #26 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 9:30pm

"This is going to be tough no matter what we do." Nadarresh plainly states.  "If we have one person light it, they will have to move quickly and quietly.  That, Dayereth, is not you.  Your spells are good from a distance but the drakes would tear into the horse before you could get very far and then you'd have them chasing you towards us and the bridge.  A horse makes too much noise on it's own and it's almost a wonder they have not yet heard him, although we are quite far away from them..."  Nadarresh shifts around, a stern look crossing his face.  "Although we are not as strong when divided, a distraction... or any distraction must be made.  There will be little chance of the three of us making it across by just walking across the bridge, just as much chance of us sneaking across with a horse in tow and even at a full charge, no way we'd make it past that huge creature down there without it or the drakes noticing."

He sighs and continues, "Our only chance will be to have as few of them on the bridge as possible and then push our way past them.  If only we could get those needletooth drakes to head across the bridge...that would make the big drakes think twice!" he smiled again as he said this.

"We'll figure out something."

IP Logged

OG
Townfolk

There is no spoon.

Reply #27 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 5:44am

"I think you misunderstood my point.  If I light the fire, I won't be trying to sneak away, I'll be making as much noise as possible, occasionally turning around as I run and pelting them with spells to keep them following me.  I might even try to use my meager illusory abilities to try and make them think they're chasing more than one fool!  The whole point is to make noise, anger their little reptilian minds and draw them as far from the bridge as possible.  This will give the two of you time to go across the bridge, deal with a reduced number of drakes, and get across.  I will try to lead whatever follows me around in a big circle and eventually try to make it across the bridge.  My horse can run faster (I think) and farther than anything on two feet.  If any one of us tried this without a horse, the drakes would overrun us."

"I know you can't sneak with a horse! I may have been raised in libraries and laboratories, but I'm not a complete fool!"

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #28 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 3:50pm

Luke, in a growling voice: "Hey, I've never called you a fool.  You're a very learned man.  Of course, I might end up calling you a fool after you get killed, after we try doing this your way.

"My way's simple.  Light the fire, hope to draw the drakes off the bridge, then just run across the bridge, all three of us.  Forget about stealth when we're crossing the bridge -- at that point we'll have a head start and we can just get across the bridge and run away on the other side."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print