Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
having trouble planning for game (Read 281 times)
hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
having trouble planning for game
Sep 7th, 2009 at 9:37pm

Hey guys. I noticed a few things and thought I'd share my thoughts.

This is how I write adventures: I have an arc going on in the background. This arc has several elements which hopefully will interact with each character's direction in different ways and suggest adventures which will bring portions of the background arc to the forefront. In this way I'm trying to bring organic story lines to each character and weave those lines into a fabric of the campaign.  Overused analogy I know but my point is this. I don't write generic adventures. They can be good fun to play and definitely lend themselves to pick up groups but I don't really enjoy writing them, running them or figuring out how to complete them in single sessions to avoid the rotating personnel issues that groups of adults invariably have. Because it takes some time to write adventures I need a little lead time to come up with things. I try to write things that give each character something to chew on. Ideally each game session should touch on something meaningful to each particular character. Its more work than just filling corridors with bad guys but its what I enjoy about the game.

Because we don't have unlimited time to do this sort of thing over the table the forums are an essential tool to give me some direction when plotting out the next session. I want to avoid "railroading" pcs down my storyline and would prefer that the fabric of the campaign evolves out of our interaction. I need character posts from each player outlining basic actions between sessions. I'm not asking for polished prose simply "I want to check out this" or even questions such as "Is there a mage's guild or anywhere I can do research on the magic staff?" Some of these posts will lead to adventure, others may illicit a story or event which may serve as foreshadowing, fill in background information or even serve as inspiration for further development of your character.

In short, if players don't provide the direction for the story then I cant write an adventure for the next session. This style of game isn't for everyone I know, it requires a little more preparation on players parts than dungeon delves though I hope that the extra effort everyone puts in will have synergistic effects and we will all enjoy the game more. Moving forward I would ask that everyone post something to their character thread at least once before the Friday following a game so I can use that weekend to prepare for the following session.

Thanks for your help.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print