Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dayereth:Eladrin Wizard (Read 3336 times)
OG
Townfolk

There is no spoon.

Dayereth:Eladrin Wizard
Sep 3rd, 2009 at 6:35pm

Okay, I know it's been a while coming, but to quote my dad, I was born two weeks late and haven't caught up yet.
As many of you already know, I plan on playing an Eladrin wizard named Dayereth.

Dayereth is thirty years old.  Technically an adult amongst the Eladrin, his is still probably younger than most which travel alone in Wyverndale.

Dayereth has never been outside of the Feywild before, and has been in the prime material realm of Wyverndale for a little less than a ten-span.

Unfortunately he is already mistrustful of humans.  He has never been very good at relating to others anyway, prefering the company of books and the adventures found in a warm library before being thrust into his new life.

Here's a little background story, just enough to get him up to the campfire.  I'm working on a more complete history.

Dayereth trudges through the forest, hungry and unguided.

Since he had to abandon some of his gear in a hasty exodus from a nasty situation, food has been scarce.  Comfort has only been provided by his magic and his guile.

Coming to this world may have been a mistake, but Dayereth could not see any other alternative. 
Besides, the possibility of finding and learning new magic, adapting it’s ways to the ways taught to him by his father and at the court, was intoxicating, possibly influencing his decision beyond pure reason.

Still, hunger was not a welcome companion.

As night falls, voices carry through the forest, quiet from the retiring creatures of the day, and not yet dinned from the susurrus of the creatures of the night.

As Dayereth crests a small hill he sees light from a dozen campfires, around which he can see figures milling, talking, drinking, eating.  All the activities which occupy the workers of the world as the day draws to a close.

A caravan of some sort, Dayereth thinks to himself.  Perhaps they can be aided by a user of magic, in exchange for meals or gold.  Either way, it will provide for my belly whilst I plan my next move.

Dayereth comes closer, and seeing a fire with few full-blooded humans nearby heads that way.  As he approaches, he hears a young boy, probably human, talking about trouble with an ogre.  Dayereth’s purple eyes flash in the firelight as he hears the boy describe some unusual things the ogre has been stealing.

Ritual material, but gathered by an ogre?

His interest peaked, Dayereth steps fully into the light.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Re: Dayereth:Eladrin Wizard
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 4:32am

Walking through Brix could make Dayereth homesick. The city is a cobbled together mishmash of Eldarin architecture and ramshackle buildings. The gnomes have been good enough caretakers but the humans have run amok with their building and much of the ancient elegance is shrouded by the utilitarian human edifices. Dark visions of a black skull interrupt his normally peaceful meditations. Dayereth has found a sage Hamerick and consulted him regarding the dagger. Hamerick doesnt seem to know more than a few rituals but thought he could disenchant the dagger. He agreed to try gratis (as long as he could keep the residum) though after several failed attempts he had to admit defeat.  Their is no question that the unnaturally huge murder of crows was brought to Brix following the dagger. Dayereth is confident of that. His growing visions are no doubt connected to the blade as well. With some research he may be able to cloak the blade's dweomer briefly though he remains uncertain for how long. Perhaps long enough to dispel the vast cloud of ravens that has beset the city. Maybe then he would be able to find a mage who might be willing to talk to stranger seeking free advice.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

OG
Townfolk

There is no spoon.

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 12:15am

Dayereth thanks Hamerick and asks him if he knows of any rituals which may help mask the magical aura of the blade, or at least disguise it.  He also asks him if there are any historians, greybeards or tavern boasters who could tell of the tower when it was whole and it's owner.

After listening to Hamerick's replies, Dayereth goes to shop to buy parchment, ink and quills.  He also replenishes his ritual supplies with the last of his money.  Maybe he should've studied alchemy!

Dayereth then finds a quiet forest glade outside of town, which makes him think of the forests of the Feywild, then begins to draw pictures of the dagger and it's markings, (as always, using mage hand to manipulate the dagger, never touching it) and pictures of the wizard shade and the skeletal ogre, as he can best remember them.  He also puts notes in the liners of the pictures, describing the actions of the wizard shade, ogre, dagger, and the tendrils of magic emanating between dagger-ogre and wizard-body. (If allowed, I'd like to have him write these notes in a cipher)

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 6:35pm

Four dark figures watch from deep shadows above the evening streets of Brix.  As Dayereth walks beneath, they huddle together .

“It is near”
     “Close yes close”
     “Others too far this is close”
     “Gather, gather it is close”

The figures quiet down as the wizard passes beneath them.  Their heads follow Dayereth intently.
     “Close Yes Close”

Suddenly a rock thrown  into the group scatters them and they take to flight black feathers and caws of alarm drift to the street below.

“The ravens are getting brave, at least they provide some amusement for the children.” Dayereth walks by a door rune-scribed with religious iconography ,  “If arcane magic cant help perhaps this will work”

Sharla an initiate of We Jas was not hard to find. Mentioning the undead and dagger made more than one informant direct Dayereth to her door. Sharla listens to the story and looks at Dayereths notes and offers the following advice.

“No doubt about it the wizard’s spirit inhabits the dagger. That’s why you can break the enchantment you need someone stronger than he is. He’s fighting We Jas’s pull to the doors you are just trying to pull the residuum out.”  She smiles.

“Don’t get that blade near blood while his spirit lingers in it. Blood is power, it will give him strength. In truth he knows you know, knows you well! You can not hide from his gathering minions. You must hasten him to the great doors for We Jas’s judgment. The ravens gather now,.. yes I know of them, soon there will be other things, dark things, they will be drawn to you.  I will help you as it suits me. 10 swords (sp) you will pay me for my council.”

“5 leauges to the west a great rock rises out of a bog. Some call fools call it a mountain but in the days of my forefathers a shrine in a cave held the well of souls.  The dead and dying were brought to the well to hasten their meeting with We Jas so she might find favor with them. Deep inside this shrine a glowing sphere on the alter is a gateway to the great door. Any spirit near the well will be brought to the gateway. Be warned however spirits of any kind can not linger by the well. Simply bring the dagger to the well and the wizard will face his judgment.”

“Once the wizard has been brought to the doorway, he will trouble you no longer and if you still wish to break the enchantment on the dagger I’m sure you will have no difficulty. Now my silver please.”

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

OG
Townfolk

There is no spoon.

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2009 at 9:42pm

After speaking with his companions, and completing the dissection and preserving of the dragon vitals, Dayereth goes someplace private and begins to take notes on the imp, paying attention to it's shape-shifting and it's interruption when attacked.  He draws, to the best of his ability, pictures of the imp as it appeared in humanoid form, in raven form, and in transfer between the two.  He also takes notes on the battle tactics of the dragon, it's reaction at being bloodied, and it's breath weapon.  He places these with the drawings of the dragon.  Once again, all notes are taken in a personal cipher.

Dayereth then goes out into town to find information on the tower, the wizard who lived there and now, imps and any wizards who employ them, and also what powers and habits they have.

Though he had minimally useful information last time, Dayereth begins by speaking with Hamerick, the sage who unsuccessfully tried to drain the dagger of magic.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 6:08am

After repaying the silver he owed the We Jas initiate Dayereth pays several coins more to various scroll and book sellers (none of note ) and learns the following (based on taking 10)

Abandoned Wizard's towers dot the landscape of the near realms. Most date back several hundred years. During the infernal wars they often served as rallying points for both the invaders and defenders of the realm. The tower near pear grove seems to have been owned by a lieutenant of the mad wizard Nacal-Mai (translated from elvish it means roughly God slayer.) While the lieutenant is of no great consequence, indeed his exact name cant be found Nacal-Mai was known to lead vast armies against the court of the roses. After summoning legions of the undead and ravaging the countryside for near a decade, Hh was defeated finally by an army of elves and men on the western shores of the misty lake. His dragon-steed cut out from under him, he plummeted from the sky into the icy lake. His forces were then routed. He was by no means the only great wizard to fall sway under Orcus will during those dark times. The promise of power corrupts many just men. Dayereth would be wise to remember that lesson!

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 6:19am

((As far as Imps go))

Imps partner with mortals who seek magical power. By helping their "masters" attain new spells or locate magic items, imps foster a madness for power that leads their master to perform evil acts (in order to secure their souls for their infernal overlords.)  Imps are generally bound to wizards or sorcerers as familiars or in some cases as servants. Imps generally would not serve undead masters as they have no soul to corrupt.

IP Logged

OG
Townfolk

There is no spoon.

Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 3:15am

As Dayereth felt his control of magic grow as he used it over the last few weeks, he studied his spellbook and his surroundings, thinking of how he could best expand his powers to help the party in it's adventures.

First of all, the few times he was hit, he was hit badly, that should stop if possible (Utility power: Shield)

He also had been noticing that his ability to damage more than one enemy at a time was extremely helpful in combat.  He studied and meditated to enhance that effect (Feat: Destructive Wizardry)

Although Illusory Amush had been useful with it's ability to distract an enemy, Dayereth felt that with his new found orb and his effective use of Cloud of Daggers, an at-will spell which could manipulate enemies would be more useful and enhance the effect of the Cloud, use the new feat, and perhaps aid companions in combat. (retrain Illusory Ambush for Phantom Bolt.)

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 1:08am

(( last I was aware Dayereth was traveling back to Brix to investigate the guild.))

Dayereths arrival in Brix yields some unwelcome news.  Prices in town have gone up appreciably! The interruptions in caravan trade along with the vast flock of crows and the early frost have put pressure nearly every merchant. While perhaps some gouging exists it certainly seems more difficult to find the basic necessities at a reasonable price.

The topic of conversation around most tavern fire pits focuses on the upcoming elections and the populist candidate Omas Bood. Bood met some fame as a miner who found a unusually large  emerald some years ago, large enough o retire from the trade if thats to be believed. Omas is a charismatic gnome who is promising an end to the price manipulations of the cutter's guilds, a chicken in every pot as it were. Bood is offering a “bounty” of 5 silver sheaves for each vote in the election. he says he is financing his campaign with his own fortune because someone has to stand up to the politicians. In any case it is difficult to strike up any other conversation with strangers so the inquiries of the wizard guild robes is progressing slowly.

Eventually Dayereth is able to piece together the following :
The wizard's guild of Holderness has had  only three Guild members recently visiting Brix .Some have seen a wizard matching Zarb's Zarb's description the time-line matches his travels with the party but his  whereabouts are presently unaccounted for. Brang Karzohn who arrived some weeks ago collecting components for some ritual throughout the astral district; his apprentices caused a ruckus in the cutter's ward which involved the bribing of a guard. The third guild member was a young sort, who apparently  planning an expedition into the the great scar to investigate some ancient shrine to some long forgotten deity. He hired half a dozen adventurers in the North-gate and hasnt been seen since. From the description of the brash men who traveled with the wizard Nadarresh's 'brother' was among the guides.

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2009 at 11:55pm by hewhorocks »  

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #9 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 11:55pm

((Arcana Checks  for research mentioned via phone:

Deep pockets Cloak is a rather simple item to enchant (level 7) in addition to providing some protection (bonuses to fort,will and reflex) it also allows access to an extra dimensional space which can hold upto 100 cubic feet in volume, assuming of course no single item weighs more than 10 pounds. --AV2 pg 97))

Rope trick: Lvl 12. manual of planes page 151 though for your buck Fey Passage (lvl 6) may be more what your looking for pg 150))

IP Logged

OG
Townfolk

There is no spoon.

Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 12:29am

After researching guild activities in Brix, Dayereth is beginning to find himself becoming better at discussing with people and making deals (3rd level retrain insight for diplomacy).  He then goes and begins to inspect the brass stand which contains the three rituals.  Using his new found ability to dicker and deal, he talks his way into using any available book store, library or tome laden basement which might help him to interpret the rituals contained on the brass stand.  He also is on the lookout for any person, mage, gnome or tinker selling the rituals Make Whole and Unseen Servant.

Begining to grow tired of lugging about what amounts to a large horse's worth of entrails, bonemeal and bodily fluids from the black dragon Dayereth begins to think of the fallen tower the group first encountered and what a dry, defensible place it would make to store a large horse's worth of entrails, bonemeal and bodily fluids, not to mention other trophies.

In that vein, Dayereth also begins searching for old pictures, paintings or storied accounts of the tower and it's appearance.

About the same time that Dayereth discovers that he is better at diplomacy than he once was at insightfulness, he feels new magical abilities well up within his mind.  Centering around the difficulties that he and his companions have been dealing with and his need to aid them in combat, soon he feels his enemies will feel the heat of his wrath. (3rd level encounter spell Fire Shroud).

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 4:57am

You are the collector mentioned in older editions of the game! (This book would be worth 50 gp to the right collector!) AS you haven't streetwise (nor insight ha!) you spend the entire first day in Brix wandering around Kings row and the hill gates looking for books or scroll shops. While he is unable to convince anyone to lend him access to a library he doesn't offend folks much as he had in the past. His diplomacy skills have convinced a scholar he found haggling with a "courtesan"  near the south gate to delay his transaction long enough to advise him to try in the astral district.

Magic does not seem to be the item of trade however. Several stores claim to sell rare and wondrous components though these seem to be more curiosities than anything of actual use. He passes a worn sign advertising Rosemary's and though it appears closed, likely due to reduction in trade it may well be the type of place he's looking for.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Inspecting the ring reveals two complete rituals:
Pyrotechnics
Affect normal fires

They are very similar but something else is underlying their relationship. The ring is some type of key or guidebook to a greater ritual. Sadly you cannot focus on the method of discerning the relationship and what greater secret is contained in the extraneous symbols. Perhaps continued study will reveal greater INSIGHT.

(Man sometimes I'm evil!)

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #12 - Jan 13th, 2010 at 5:40pm

((Does Dayereth have access to Pyrotechnics and Control Normal Fires?))

In browsing your posts it appears they are not currently copied to your Ritual book. You could  use the "ring" as a focus for the ritual though.

IP Logged

OG
Townfolk

There is no spoon.

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 11:05am

Later in the day after the rest of the party left to continue on toward Drakespire, Dayereth wakes from his trance.  He moves about and stretches his still stiff body.

"It was the honorable thing to do," he thinks to himself, "I would merely have slowed them down with my exhaustion, and time was of the essence."

He feels within his weary bones that several more hours rest are required before the effects of the last several days' hike wear off.  He sits and considers his sword.  A faithful representation of the sword carried by one of the warriors of his family, it is none the less just that, a representation.  A normal sword, one whose instruction he recieved when he was younger, with some contempt.

"I never counted on having to use it," he thinks, "but that drake scared me, I may have to remember the karas and practice them, learn to use my mind to guide the sword where my brawn cannot take it.  But right now is not the time, I need to rest comepletely and begin the journey back to Brix.  Once my companions complete thier quest, I'll meet them there."

Vague thoughts of revenge on the ogre whose life was uselessly spared filled his head momentarily, then Dayereth puts them from his mind.

"A nonhuman bandit such as that is not worth my anger, it is merely a problem to be solved, a danger to future travellers which should have been eliminated."

Considering where I must travel to return to Brix, it may be a danger I will have to eliminate before long, but first rest."

He lays the sword aside, but closer to his hand than he once did.

Dayereth then removes the gnome's ring from his bag.  The dream made him think that perhaps there was more to this trinket than meets the eye.  Having time on his hands, he considers the ring more closely.

(Attempting to detect magic on the ring, as well as analyze it for any other magical or historical significance.)

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 1:44am

((Thumbs up on the post))

After moments of concentration, Dayereth's arcane skills determine that the ring is quite ordinary. Likely the visitor to his trance was the last task of a soul before it moved beyond. It did not seem to communicate so much as leave a message.

((what is Dayereth's current insight bonus?))
The ring is a silver finely wrought gnome sized signet ring. It is heavy for its size and seems valuable. The monogram on the inside are the initials O.B. inside a merchant society emblem.

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2010 at 2:48am by hewhorocks »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print