Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Aerandis: Elven Ranger (Read 3577 times)
yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Aerandis: Elven Ranger
Aug 5th, 2009 at 5:01am

All right, I'll be putting together an elven ranger.  I'm tempted to go with the recommended skills, feats, powers, etc. unless there are other recommendations.  It seems like Melora or Sehanine would be appropriate gods, though the Raven Queen would make an interesting character, the pitiless ranger type (but I don't see her as being an elven god).  I wouldn't mind starting from 1st level up, so I can grow with the character (also, 4e 1st level is supposed to play like 4th level from the previous editions anyway).  Any suggestions?  Where would this kind of character come from?
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2009 at 4:33pm by yle-kay »  

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Re: Aerandis: Elven Ranger
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 8:27pm

Aerandis is about 100 years old, just starting out in the world.  His family once lived in the cities 1000 years ago, but took up residence in the wilds on the edge of the region when humans encroached.  The family maintains an ancestral shrine within the city, making trips every so often (years, decades) to pay tribute and also pay the family of gnome care-takers who have watched the shrine over the years.  Aerandis is making his first post-adolescent trip, transporting wages (in a locked container) and non-monetary tribute to the shrine.  He visited once as a child, and the 10 year old gnome he became friends with -- Hobnobbin -- would be about 60 years old at this point.  He carries his bow for hunting and few other supplies, having joined with the caravan once he approached the city so he could pick up on some news of the world before he arrived.  With his family he had been somewhat sheltered, and he is excited to be able to travel and learn about the world outside of his woods and glen.

(Posted from pm -Leigh)
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2009 at 3:08am by hewhorocks »  

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 8:47pm

Right on exactly the kind of concept work we need. Minor suggestions for setting congruity (things you would know if you had a source book that is presently mia...)

Elven (as opposed to eldarian) "City dwellers " would likely be in the fey~lands ie. though a portal. With 4's distinction between elves and Eldarian(sp?) Eldarian are assuming the cultural identity of the (feudal japan esque) elves identified in the source material. I.E. katana are Eldarian blades.

If your going for the "wood elf ranger type" that would be elf for sure.

His reasoning for being with the caravan may still be the same though ancestor worship is more in line with Eldarian. The full Classic DnD Elven pantheon will be used for elves (in addition to some druidic leanings) Why he choose a portal nearer to the caravans origin than its destination may be an interesting point to cotemplate and allow for some character development possibilities.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 4:04am

Modifications after browsing the campaign source material:

Aerandis is from the city of Eytherash'ana (The Forests of the Bow-Makers), in a large expanse of woods roughly between the cities of Hilderbrand and Wyverndale.  The city is woven into the living canopy of trees, and due to its organic nature it could be easily overlooked by a wandering human (if one was unfortunate enough as to wander into an elven city!) As the name of the city implies, a good proportion of the residents are trained as bowyers in addition to other necessary crafts.

As a child Aerandis was taught to make and use a bow.  His mother gave him the child's name of Nailith'ah (crafty oak child) due to his amusing decorative carving.  He carries the curved carving knife that she gave him at all times. 

As he grew up he learned to track and hunt beasts of progressive difficulty for food and defense of the city.  His keen eye brought him to the point where he gained archery skills surpassing that of most of his peers (injuring a few egos in the process, in that competitive way of youth).  However, the relative safety of his home woods to the larger world has caused him to somewhat underestimate the ease with which unknown beasts may be dispatched.

For the last several years Aerandis has been restless, looking to explore more of the world outside of his expanse of woods.  Due to that, his elders decided to give him a few tasks.  The first one is to travel to a specific grove dedicated to Obad-Hai, which is located near the Fey Fields.  There he is to offer up his services for several years to the druids who guard the area, in particular a druid named Nerisella, who is a friend of the family.  When his period of service is over, he is to return with some of the fine arrow-wood that the region is known for.

Well, I'm all idea'd out for the moment.  Hopefully some folks are inspired for their own characters!

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 5:33pm

Aerandis knows that the druid Nerisella can not wait any longer for his arrival.  He leaves his companions with some regret, having had his first taste of adventure since leaving the woods of his home.  The final shots he had made with his bow into the undead wizard were more masterful than any he had made hunting beasts in Eytherash'ana. 

In truth, Aerandis believes that the party will be in sore need of his bow-arm after he leaves.  However, he still remains hopeful of Nerisella allowing him to return to this quest once he reports what is happening in this area.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 4:11am

Aerandis travels with all haste to the grove north of the Fey Feilds. Nerisella is as always eager for visitors. Though Aerandis looks worn from the road no mention of it is made of it until he has had a meal of roast squash flavored with forest orchid petals.  As Aerandis relates the tale of his travels to the grove, Nerisella calmly takes in every detail showing no emotion or hint of surprise.  "Vast packs of wolves often gather when dark servants awake. Wolves aren't evil themselves though they have few defenses against the dark servant's power.  As long as the phylactery is destroyed that dark one should not be able to dominate another fool. The mage you met seems to have the matter well in hand, he knew better than to touch the evil blade. I must meet with the circle elders and discuss this, if one of these servants is back then others may be able to follow. "

For three days Aerandis enjoys the comforts of the Feyfeilds. Nerisella seems distracted though. On the third evening she speaks "We have heard of a massing of ravens near Brix. That is where your friends have traveled to...correct?" She proceeds knowing the answer in advance. "Ravens themselves are no cause for alarm though they often serve to hide.....other things. I imagine your friends haven't destroyed that blade yet. I hope they do so quickly it serves not only as a focus for the evil wizard but also as a reserve of power for..." Her voice trails off.
" I, we must ask a task of you and you may do well to find your former companions and request their help. Tell them what you will of this task. An ancient shrine to 'The Bringer of Darkness' appears to have found a new priest near where you encountered the risen dark servant. Otherwise the lich would not have had enough strength to dominate the Ogre. While the coven is probably not strong yet, from the gathering wolves it appears they have a foothold at least. We are thankful they did not know to find the blade least the situation would be dire, still we need you to discover the alter to Nerul and destroy it. Here.."

Nerisella gives Aerandis a small pouch of powder silver and what appears to be a golden acorn inscribed with runes. "Go to the Scrying pool you found it has some taint to Nerul which we can use to our advantage. Inscribe a prayer to Obad-hai in silver powder around the edge of the pool and make sure the silver completes a full circle. Then toss this talisman into the water and invoke Obad-hai. A gate will open which will allow you to pass to the shrine you seek.  End whatever dark ritual is powering the coven and the Druidic circle will be most grateful."

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 3:35pm

It has been a refreshing few days for Aerendis, as he rested from his travels and restored his spirit.  However, even in the Feyfeilds, the recent troubles with the dark wizard were never far from his thoughts. 

When Nerisella finally speaks, Aerendis listens with no outward side of trepidation, but internally he feels wary about meddling with dark gods.  Beasts have fallen easily to his arrows, but in his recent encounter with the wizard he and his companions only seem to have destroyed the outer shell of some much greater power.  However, his devotion to the wilds and to Obad-Hai reinvigorates him and he resolves to continue, accepting the magical items from Nerisella 

"I will do as you say, Nerisella.  My recent companions seem good enough to try and destroy the dagger, but I don't know if they will succeed.  As for me, I will do everything I can to destroy this enemy to nature."

Aerandis thanks Nerisella for her hospitality and for her acceptance of him as a ward of sorts, then prepares to travel back to the site of his recent encounter.  He prepares a full quiver of arrows and extra bowstrings (how shameful was breaking a bowstring in that cellar!), and carefully wraps fruits, nuts and other wild edibles in some large flexible leaves.  Putting his remaining adventuring gear in a small pack (and carefully stowing the magical items), he starts to make his way back to the remains of the wizard's tower.

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 6:45pm

However, as Aerendis nears the edge of the grove, Nerisella is there to greet him.

She says, "I know you are confident with your bow, but be wary.  The powers at work here are far stronger than a single elf.  You would be wise to gather aid before attempting your task."

Aerendis replies, "Perhaps I've only been lucky in the past, but I will take your advice.  I will see if my companions from before will support me in this task.  In any case, it's a long road and I should be going."

He thanks Nerisella again, and sets off again with an altered course towards Brix.  It will be a few days before Aerandis can arrive, so he hopes his companions don't get into too much trouble with the locals, as they did in the last village.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 9:51pm

Traveling through the wilds to Brix ,Aerandis comes across the remains of a small Merchant caravan. Three wagons fixed with yoke for oxen are overturned in a campsite near the caravan route. There appear to be no survivors. The grass is slick with blood and it appears that wolves have overrun the camp and picked it clean. The cargo (mostly grain) appears ruined, or not worth carrying.  Still two days from Brix, it seemed worth trying to track the wolves but as before the pack breaks up and disappears into constituent groups after a couple hours.

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 7:18pm

Seeing that there is nothing to be done at the caravan, Aerandis gathers himself and continues on the road while considering the situation.

Aerandis has become increasingly troubled by the unnatural behavior of these wolves, combined with past events.  He hopes that his companions are still alive and uncorrupted by any association with the dagger they were carrying, as it seems that he is going to need the aid of everyone to eliminate the coven.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 10:12pm

Aerandis travels another day and a half towards Brix and finds a two more scenes of similar carnage. The night before his arrival at Brix he encounters a small train of travelers. The travelers sit around a camp fire which is shielded from the wind by their circled wagons. Their is song in the air dancing and merriment. They welcome Aerandis as a weary traveler and bode him to avail himself of some simple food. An old lady in a flowing lace gown, silver earrings dangle from her ears and a bandana ties back her dirty blonde hair. Wolves howl in the darkness.

"Worry not of the callers in the night. They won’t bother our kind nor you while you travel with us. The darkness has a new servant near here. His power bends the callers to his will, still our guides bring us to paths that they can not follow." She looks to the stars and sighs. She looks across the fire and into Aerandis's eyes. The light from the flames casts shadows which dance across her face though her gaze does not waver.
" I know of your mission. Have you noticed the pack disappears with the dawn? They go to their unnatural den in the forest of shades. You should be wary. The druid’s magic may pierce the veil to the land of the temple but you will need face the callers of the night long before you confront the servant of the bringer.”

“I see the questions in your eyes, but enough for now eat, drink and your questions will be answered in good time.”

Aerandis spends the evening in good company and as morning comes and shakes off the trance from the first good rest he has had since before leaving the druid’s grove he finds himself alone in a small field. It appears that the sun has been up for a few hours. The waist high grass is untrammeled around him and there is no sign of the campsite or the travelers he reveled with the night before. The landscape of hills stretch out in front of him to the west.  If his bearings are correct he is but a few hours travel to Brix.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 6:31pm

From the looks of things breaking up the cultists at the shrine had no effect on the wolves. Still it seems more than a coincidence that the exit from the shadowfall placed you on a hill top above the caravan route in time for you to witness another attack.

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 7:55pm

Level-up to 2nd

Watching the way Nadarresh handled himself with two combatants at once has inspired Aerandis in his archery craft.  While the party is resting, he draws his bow and unfocuses his eyes, letting his awareness rest on two trees.  In a flash, he fires two arrows, and both come to rest within a second of each other in their respective targets.  [retrain to Twin Strike from Careful Attack]

Meanwhile, his elven claustrophobia continues to manifest itself in his skills.  If enemies cluster in and somehow are able to actually strike him, his twitchy alertness enables him to jump back like a surprised squirrel. [utility power: Yield Ground (shift up to 3 squares after melee hit)]

Finally, when he occasionally feels that he may flub a shot, something in his wild nature has started to come out, giving him a tremendous shot of confidence so that he shoots better than he could have before [feat: Wild Elf Luck (add 1d4 to elven accuracy)]

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #13 - Nov 17th, 2009 at 3:54am

Aerandis will travel to the Fey Feilds to meet with Nerisella and contemplate how to pursue his task of restoring the balance of nature to the region (this may involve Nerisella being at a loss and directing him to take a several day fast and vision search to find out what the spirits of the land know about what the source of the troubles, as well as learning how to communicate with the spirits of the dead to maybe find the origin of the dead spy bird [Spirit Talker feat]).   I will return to Brix in about 1 and a half weeks (unsure of exact distance) to rejoin the party.

Aerandis finds his thoughts rambling onto the subject of Zarb Zarba, who he has heard the party talk about.  He has the suspicious feeling that this unfortunate man was waylaid by evil forces.  He sounded as if he was a man of some will but also with a great desire for revenge.  As is the way with some magical types, he may have been offered the power to obtain this revenge in exchange for aligning his soul with dark powers.  Even gods need physical vessels on earth with which to work their dark ways.

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #14 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 4:14pm

A brief overview of Aerandis' activities from the morning following the fire:

He travels to the fey feilds to meet with Nerisella.  He tells her what he knows and shows her the body of the dead spying bird.  She doesn't know where the bird came from, nor does she have the ability to speak with its dead spirit.  She directs Aerendis to a shaman who might be able to help him find out its origin.  Aerendis travels a day to find the shaman.  The shaman sees some potential in Aerendis, and directs him to attempt to communicate with the bird himself.  In the the shaman's lodge, he gives Aerendis a bit of sacred plant.  Aerandis drifts off and awakens to find himself in a den of earth.  There he meets a very large badger (the size of a medium bear, or normal sized human) who speaks to him in a rough human voice.  Among other things, the badger lets Aerandis know that he is a protector spirit, and that Aerandis may call on him for assistance when it is needed.
[ooc: The information Aerandis gains is left to the discretion of the DM]

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print