Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Luke: Half-Orc Fighter (Read 8801 times)
elwyn
Adventurer

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Re: Luke: Half-Orc Fighter
Reply #15 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 7:20pm

As we established at the end of the last session, at least Luke and Nadarresh (and possibly Aerandis or Theren) are going back to give a decent burial to the people of the caravan that we recently saw attacked by wolves.

Somewhere along the way, Luke asks Nadarresh to teach him his technique for attacking enemies on all sides at once.  Thereafter, he practices it often, adapts it to his own style, and makes it his own.

[Going up to 3rd level, Luke takes the encounter power called Sweeping Blow, which is a lot like Dire Wolverine Strike but does slightly more damage.]

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2009 at 3:11pm

Luke's intention is to go with Nadarresh to bury the bodies of those who were massacred at the caravan; then to go with him to the shrine of Wee Jas to free those souls; and then, assuming all goes well, to meet up with the rest of the party.  People were interested in going to a city whose name I forget, to investigate a group of wizards who we found dead in the basement of Demlos's tower.  Luke thinks that sounds just fine, especially since it will involve going somewhere far from Brix.

Luke will avoid going into Brix; if others need to pay a visit there, he'll camp and wait well outside the town if necessary.

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #17 - Nov 16th, 2009 at 7:59pm

To restate my intentions in Leigh's "mad libs" format:

Luke will travel to the caravan massacre site, and then the shrine of Wee Jas to bury the dead, and then accompany Nadarresh to free the souls that were apparently taken into the dagger.  He will return to the area near Brix in about 1 week? or however long it takes to accomplish the above to rejoin the party.

Loose ends:

Zarb Zarba -- Luke wonders what happened to him but isn't going to go searching for him, since he'd have no idea where to start.

The dagger -- Luke will go with Nadarresh to the shrine of Wee Jas and hope that the souls can be released there.

The wizards' guild of Holderness -- that seems to be the best lead to follow right now, and Luke would like to go to Holderness with whichever party members will be available next session.

Who is keeping tabs on us? -- Luke hates feeling watched and would love to kick the ass of whoever is doing that, but doesn't have much of any idea how to investigate it.  Perhaps it is someone in the wizards' guild of Holderness?

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #18 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 5:34am

Among the dead at the burial site Luke finds himself staring at a young man in the robes of Heironeous. A scroll tube stuffed with a sealed parchment is in his tattered robes. Around his neck is a silver chain with a small brass key. He seems to have been a messenger for the path. Searching through the debris of the caravan Luke finds a small (loaf of bread sized) but heavy locked metal box. The box has silver inlay of religious symbols that seem all to familiar to Luke.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #19 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 2:12am

Luke is curious about these things that the Path messenger was carrying.  He thinks, "Maybe I should see what these things are so I can make sure they get to whoever they were going to."

But then he reconsiders: "Maybe I'm just indulging my own curiosity by opening seals and locks to things that are none of my business.  I must make sure my idle desires don't make me pry into holy secrets that haven't been revealed to me."

Having difficulty deciding what to do, Luke determines to pray to Heironeous about it.  He puts the scroll tube, the box, and the key into his pack, and continues to work on burying the dead for now.  He will pray in the evening, when this work is done, and decide after that what to do.

[It's up to you, Leigh, whether Heironeous responds to this prayer in any way that Luke can detect.  If Luke gets any sense that he ought not to open the scroll tube or the box, then he will leave them shut but take them with him and plan to find a way to deliver them to some church official.  If Luke gets any sense of divine approval for his opening either of these things, then he will do so.  If he can't detect any response to his prayer, then on the following morning he will open the scroll tube and read the scroll before deciding whether to open the box.]

As Luke resumes burying the dead, he is startled by the bloodcurdling roar of Nadarresh.

[I'll head over to Nadarresh's thread to describe how Luke responds to him.]

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #20 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 6:58am

(moved to the character thread)

Luke is so shocked by the sudden roar of Nadarresh that he trips and falls on his face.   He scrambles to his feet and whips out his sword, looking around for the attack.  Realizing that the roar is Nadarresh's, he feels a bit foolish and puts his sword away.

"Are you okay?  Did you see something terrible?"  He walks to Nadarresh with a concerned look on his face.

Assuming Nadarresh shares something of what is on his mind, Luke responds as follows:

"These people . . . it's bad, what happened here, but they're in a better place.  A lot of them, anyway."

"Telling someone what happened seems like a good idea, even though there's no way we could haul all this stuff.  If we go to Holderness next, maybe there's someone there we could tell?  The, um... owner of the caravan or whatever..."  Luke thoughtfully scratches one of the scars on his face, realizing that he has no actual idea how caravans work, whether they are somehow affiliated with big merchants in cities or what.  But there's gotta be someone responsible who we could tell about this, he thinks...

As they continue talking and working, Luke spends some time looking for small, easily carried, valuable things to take with him.  He's not being a thief, but he figures that stuff will get stolen if it is just left out here, whereas they may be able to return some things to people's families by taking them now.  Ultimately, if he takes any valuable things and can't find anyone to whom they should be given back, Luke will donate them to the church.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #21 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 7:40am

Intimate personal effects abound but are probably best left to comfort the spirits. Luke picks up stray coin purses and loose change equal to 50 marks (GP) and 12 shrines (Eladrin GP) 75 silver coins were also found scattered among the corpses. Additionally one purse has a cache of shiny elven coins 5 platinum forests, 30 golden trees, and 40 silver leaf coins. The Elf went down fighting, he had a bloody silvered short sword in his hand.

After  a hard days work Luke rests by the fire eating dried fish from one of the wagons as he slips off into slumber perhaps Heironeous will provide guidance in his dreams?

Dream: Luke is standing on a high hill overlooking valley with a white walled city. Alabaster towers rise though  low lying mist and he finds his view flowing into a tower window high above the cloud obscured streets. An ageless woman wearing flowing gowns and the crown of an empress sits on a chair embroidering a pillow. She sticks her finger with the needle and a single drop of blood falls through the air and splashes on the floor. The drop soon becomes an ocean and Luke finds himself on a raft being tossed in a great deluge. The raft becomes lost in this endless ocean and after what seems an eternity of turmoil Luke is washed up on an island large enough for only one lone tree for shade. The ocean is utter calm and the scene is strangely silent. In the shade of the tree sits a box identical to the one found by Luke in the caravan.

Before he can approach the box he suddenly sits up wide awake to the smell of cooking bacon . It is mid morning and Nadarresh is cooking an enormous slab of bacon over the fire.  "Best not to waste it"  it is the only comment necessary.

((Voice from the sky says "no making me decide for you"))

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #22 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 3:13pm

As for the elf with the cache of coins, Luke takes a good look at him before burying him, hoping to see something distinctive by which he can be described to others later -- perhaps his hairstyle, clothing, or some trinket or personal effect that might identify his name or family.  This amount of money might be of particular importance to the elf's family, so it would be good to try to return it to them.

After breakfast, Luke decides the time has come to open the scroll tube and read what's inside.  He'll do that before deciding whether to open the box.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #23 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 10:04pm

The parchment is neatly rolled and sealed in Gold flecked wax with the holy symbol of Heironeous. The calligraphy is impeccable and written in blue silvered ink. It reads:

Arageth,

As it seems you have not been able to identify this  Bartholomew whom our good lady had recommended. I think we have no choice but to pay the ransom.  Perhaps His faith is not as profound as she may have believed. In any case R’s men seem to have stopped their search for her and her studies have progressed impresivly.  The messenger’s case contains enough platinum to pay the brutish thugs as long as they have not defiled the rod, have the messenger return it to the temple in Holderness. I trust you can arrange the exchange. The path’s service to the church is as always appreciated.

The Grand vizier of Heironeous , His majesty Balamaster the wise.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2009 at 7:52am by hewhorocks »  

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #24 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 1:16am

Luke reads this over and over, shaking his head, perplexed and uncertain.

[Leigh, I have questions that will help me figure out what Luke does:

Has Luke ever heard of Balamaster or Arageth before?  Balamaster at least sounds like a public figure that Luke might know of.

And what about "Barthalamule"?  Luke has an inkling about who that might refer to (and hardly dares to think about who the "good lady" might then be), but has he ever heard of anyone with that particular name?

Was this caravan traveling towards or away from Brix before it was ambushed?  If away from Brix, then where to?  Holderness?]

Luke tries to open the box using the key.  He expects to see a lot of platinum inside, but he wants to confirm that and see if there's anything else of interest in there.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #25 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 8:04am

(("Bathalamule" spelling corrected to Bartholomew to avoid confusion. Sorry. Luke would know of Balamaster a prominent leader of the church of Heironeous from Shattered Bridge. The Caravan was heading west to Brix. Not having the appropriate skills trained (or listed as trained either way heh) Luke is unsure who Arageth might be but its a safe bet that he is also somehow involved with the church. As to who R or the good lady may be, we know from this letter that R's men are or have been looking for the "good Lady;" these men havent found her and that she recommended this Bartholomew as someone who might be willing or able to help the church recover some item being held ransom. ))

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #26 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 4:59pm

After rereading the letter a dozen times, Luke lays back on the ground, looking up at the morning sky, slowly trying to puzzle out what the letter might mean.

Where is Roxanna, if the "good lady" is she, which it almost has to be?  What might she be studying, what would that have to do with Balamaster or the Path, and why would they be concealing her whereabouts from "R" (who is most likely Duke Rathborn)?  What is the rod, who are the brutish thugs, and why would finding Luke have somehow been an alternative to paying a ransom?  But most importantly, where is Roxanna and what does she want Luke to do?

Every time he thinks of her face he starts daydreaming and loses his train of thought for a while...

Eventually Luke remembers the box.  He tries to open it with the key, hoping for some additional clue inside.

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #27 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 5:09pm

((Danged forum ate my post.  Trying again.  Leigh, if it's doable without messing with whatever you've got planned for this Saturday, Luke wants to pursue this matter as soon as possible by going to Brix and talking to whoever's in charge of the Path there.  He wants to bring along the rest of the party for protection, if they're willing, since he's still paranoid about his fugitive status.))

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #28 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 10:11pm

The key fits the lock perfectly and the box lid slides open. The box contains an inner and outer tray. The outer tray has 18 stacks of identical stacks of platinum coins each stack looks to hold 10 coins each. These stacks of coins rim the inner tray in which a lead case sits. Runes and glyphs mark the case. Inside in the case is a silver medallion etched with six severed hands in a circle. The medallion has an unsettling effect on Luke. He begins to hear a low buzzing sound in his ears it grows louder as he stares at the talisman. The buzzing drones on and he finds himself becoming nauseous, he instinctively slams shut the case before he can retch. Not all of this ransom payment seems to be a bargain.

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #29 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 3:40pm

Luke makes sure the case is locked.  His mouth has gone quite dry.  He takes a long drink from his waterskin.

"Nadarresh, do you have any idea what six severed hands in a circle mean?"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print