Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Luke: Half-Orc Fighter (Read 8785 times)
elwyn
Adventurer

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Re: Luke: Half-Orc Fighter
Reply #30 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 7:24pm

In Brix, before we leave town, Luke goes shopping for a couple of things:

-- a new, black, wide-brimmed hat, similar to the one he threw away when he thought he had to hide himself from the Path;

-- another 50 feet of rope to add to the 50 he was already carrying, since the next adventure might involve some mountain climbing;

-- a warm fleece-lined cloak, also black, big enough to wear over his armor, in order to avoid freezing while climbing mountains in winter.

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #31 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 7:32pm

If it can be done, Luke would also like to seek out Arageth for one more brief private conversation while we're still in Brix.  Here's what he would wish to say in that conversation:

Luke's words are polite but his tone of voice is serious and intense.  "Holy father, there's one more thing I need to know.  I didn't ask you about it in front of my companions because they don't need to know who the lady is, but you and I know.  The Grand Vizier wrote to you and said, "R’s men seem to have stopped their search for her and her studies have progressed impressively."  You must know what that means, or he wouldn't have written it that way.  And you know she'd want me to know.  So -- who was searching for her, and what is she studying?"

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #32 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 7:50pm

Arageth's brow furrows and he reaches for a drink of water from a ceramic mug. “You really don’t know do you?” “Well to avoid her husband’s wrath, no pun intended I assure you, she sought shelter with the sisters of Mercy. As she did not show her face in public for nearly a fortnight, he declared that you had taken her captive. He offered a reward for your capture though he did not consult our oracles. We knew then that there was much of the story he wished to remain hidden. Her death I’m afraid was a story concocted by the sisters to prevent the Lord from eventually finding her and perhaps killing her himself. “

“While in the sister’s care she has shown the gift. Very few women have this gift. Certainly she is much older than most who are uncovered, still she has embraced her calling and is training to become an Oracle. Of course she will likely travel north to Hildenbrand to complete her training once she masters the fifth tier. ((Voice from beyond there are 7))  You would not recognize her as your former companion, the training is intense. Still she has recommended you to us for reasons only the oracles can understand.”

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #33 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 3:57am

Luke has trouble finding words.  He lets his face show all the bewilderment he feels.  "She... I... uh... well... okay then."  He gets up to leave, feeling a bit unsteady on his feet, and starts to head for the door.

He catches himself and turns around.  "Thank you -- thank you.  That means more to me than..."  He lets the sentence trail off, blushing, then stumbles out into the street looking for a drink.

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #34 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 7:56pm

After the many ferocious battles and strange encounters that Luke has been through recently, he notices that his sword arm has gotten a little stronger and his wits have become a little sharper. 

((Going up to 4th level, Luke raises his Strength to 19 and his Wisdom to 13.

As I've said before, I want Luke to take the multiclass cleric feat -- Initiate of the Faith, I believe it's called.  I'm not sure how best to roleplay it, but since it involves Luke being granted a measure of divine magical power, it probably should involve some rather out-of-the-ordinary event.

With your permission, Leigh, I'd like to say Luke has a dream during the extended rest we take after the bridge battle.  In the dream, Roxanna appears, dressed as a messenger of Heironeous, and tells Luke that his prayer has been answered.  (He has been praying regularly, for a while now (ever since we reached 3rd level), to be granted the power to heal.)  Luke wakes up and is sure the dream was real, but says nothing about it to the others for now.  Is that OK?))

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #35 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 6:01pm

“Troubling news… Mad you say?” Arageth inspects the rod.“ I’m no wizard but it appears as if all the magic is drain from this relic.  It does not decrease its significance as a symbol to the faithful we will ensure it finds a  place of note in our new cathedral!.”

“ I…. are you sure he would not succumb to his wounds? He did not mention Brix in his tirade?... no?  Very good then. I’m no mage and who can discern the ramblings of a mad man but It seems as if he merely wanted to drain the medallion of its magic as well many arcane practitioners do that sort of  thing I think…. Did you recapture it?  No? ah well. At least we have a relic for the altar.”

“Mell su Detok… sounds familiar…yes I think that I heard him announced at Mr. Bood’s inauguration to the council…He’s in wizards guild of Holderness I think,  imposing looking fellow Im sure he’s still about town. It was a big affair the ball you know, first time someone from outside the guild has been elected to the council.  He’s done many fabulous things already Bood has. He’s the one who opened up the city…got the caravans moving again. Those birds are probably just smell the plenty and are here for scraps! That got me and half the city to the ball…its as if the plenty from that event was a harbinger…is that the right word?  Well you know what I’m saying it was the herald for the plenty to come. Now if we could only get a gifted Cleric to administer our temple. I have sent a message to Balamaster perhaps he has someone in mind… given the rate of construction we should have the temple up in before summer. Thank you again for your service. Here is a something for your trouble you should find it most useful.”  **He takes a silver ring from his finger bearing the symbol of Heironeous. **

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #36 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 4:28pm

"Thank you very much, Father.  I'll put it to good use.

"By the way, did I mention that the wizard said something about Shattered Bridge as he flew off on his undead dragon?  It would seem like a good idea to send a messenger there, to warn them to keep a lookout for him, if he hasn't already gotten there.

"Anyhow, I think I'll see if I can maybe talk to Mell su Detok, find out how he knew I was carrying that thing to the Drakespire."

((Luke will indeed start asking around to see if he can meet Mell su Detok.  I'm not sure if that's better handled online or at the next game session.  Other characters, particularly Dayereth, might be interested in him too.))

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #37 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 1:17am

'Talk to Mell su Detok?' his voice carries more than a hint of sarcasm which hardly befits such a pious figure. “Mine as well make an appointment with Hurok of the Kron or better yet the emperor himself!  I have no doubt you would do either but one does not simply go “talk” to the principal adviser a Wizard no less,  to the most influential man in the city! Why Bood might just be elected king if such a thing were possible and I'm afraid unless you had something that could interest them I doubt you'd make it anywhere near that man. I'll admit it does not bode well that something in the wilderness used him as an alibi, and knew of  the amulet. Still, given rumors of how he once hexed a watchman for not standing straight enough at attention when he passed I would give the man a wide berth. He has taken up in that old tower on the Hook and if that doesn't tell you something you are beyond my guidance!”

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #38 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 8:04pm

"I am a skilled healer but he is beyond my abilities! If you had brought him to me sooner I may have been able to help. In his condition only a powerful ritual could hope to aid him. I am sure Mell su Detok could manage it, but few others. Still you need both the ability in rituals and skill as a healer to guarantee success… Perhaps if you brought him to him to the main temple they no doubt have healers there but I would fear he could not make the journey to Shattered Bridge in his condition.” Agereth sighs “If only we have finished the our temple we would have attracted a gifted priest of Heironeous to the fold.”

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #39 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 4:48pm

In the morning in the tower of Garum, munching on some dried fruit & nuts, Luke speaks quietly to Aaron Nestal.

"Must have been a really bad day for you, coming here and seeing Nadarresh laid out on that slab.

"We were in a few fights together, over the last few months.  It seemed like he always flung himself into the most dangerous part of the battlefield, like he thought he couldn't die.  So I started to almost expect that sooner or later we'd be holding a funeral for him.

"I never thought it would be like this, though.  His last fight, we were up against this evil spirit who called herself the Snow Queen, and Nadarresh was already half dead from filth fever which he'd caught underneath Brix, and he dragged himself out of the wagon and flung himself in front of her.  Somehow he survived that, and we it looked like everything was going to be fine, and Aerandis got the oxen moving and we made it to Fey Fields.

"And then the damn druid screwed up the healing ritual, and well... here we are, trying to bring him back.

"I'm sure he's up in Bahamut's heaven now, and I'm sure that's a fine place to be.  But it's almost like I can hear him saying 'Bring me back!  I'm not done yet!'  He wanted to die a noble death in battle, not coughing and retching from filth fever.

"Was he like that when you knew him, always taking the biggest risks?"

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #40 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 1:18am

((Going up to level 5, Luke will take the daily attack power Cometfall Charge.))

Luke knows he is quite good in a fight when outnumbered by lesser foes, but some recent battles have left him feeling a little ineffective when it comes to chopping down the bigger monsters.  He decides to start doing a better job of translating his size and weight into power when charging into an enemy.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #41 - May 24th, 2010 at 8:50pm

After some days without sign from his friends Luke travels to the great tree to seek the council of Poison root.  She appears as a beautiful elven maid  clad in but wisps of  mist . Her voice sounds as birdsong but the meaning of the words appear clearly in Luke’s mind. “ Ah yessss… Come to join your friends have you?” Flowers bloom and decay in the sunlight glen with every syllable as the unearthly beauty addresses Luke. “Yes they came and entered the Sunless realm. They did not return. My minions tell me they have gone to the Hive. Many have perished there though perhaps your friends escaped?” A smirk passes her lips. “Unlikely, they have not entered the Woad’s valley at least not by the paths that I can see….It seems you are alone in the world, you are welcome to join me. Your cares will pass away from you and you can watch the world grow old.”

She waits for a response but senses something in Luke and her appearance shifts into that of Lady Roxanna. “Anything can be yours…” Before Luke an answer her tempting offer the clouds race though the sky and the sunlight grove grows dark.  An otherworldly voice booms in Luke’s through the woods.  He recognizes the voice instantly as Roxanna’s.

“I am the Oracle of Heironeous and I claim this man.” The Dryad’s form shifts again this time into  the form of a bleached and withered tree before it vanishes into mist.  The Oracle continues in a voice that only Luke can hear.

“ If you plan to confront the Awakened one you will need one of the ancient weapons of the order. Travel to the sunken kingdom. The Lord of the watchtower at Redbay was a Paladin of Heironeous from Westhold. Centuries ago when the kingdom sank into the great northern marsh the village was destroyed and all of its inhabitants perished. I can sense the weapon remains in the lost ruins of that town. Only with a weapon such as this can you hope to endure against the Awakened beast.”  The voice drifts off and Luke finds himself in the clearing alone.

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #42 - May 25th, 2010 at 7:00am

This is all a little too much for Luke to deal with.

He drags himself to his feet in the clearing, feeling sick all over, and stumbles into the forest before tripping over a root and falling on his face.  Nothing around him seems real.  He tastes blood from a cut in his lip, and somehow it vividly reminds him of the last time he kissed Roxanna goodbye.  Now he's running away through the forest again, a fugitive and a murderer, looking over his shoulder for pursuers as the walls of Shattered Bridge get smaller in the distance.  Did anything after that really happen at all?

The caravan, the wolves, Nadarresh, Dayereth, Aerandis, flocks of crows, a tiny black dragon.  Pumpkins, halflings, murderers, starvation, more wolves, a tomb.  Elven swords.  Arageth, a hundred platinum pieces, the amulet of Hextor.  A secret mission, a new purpose in life.  Brent.  An army of bugbears, a pit of bones, laughter, disaster, shame.  Rats, filth, sickness, cold, death.  Aaron.  Vines dragging him down.

He thinks: Have I woken up from that dream yet?  Can I wake up?  Am I still in my cell, waiting to be executed?  Or is this what really happens after you die?

Luke takes out an arrow and jams the point into his thigh, but can barely feel it.  He twists it and the pain wakes him up a little, gives him some focus.

No, it all really happened.  I ran away from my fate, tried to do some good and made everything worse.  Four dead brave men I couldn't save.  A terrible monster destroying my hometown.  I should just go back there and put my head on the chopping block.

But no, that's not what Heironeous asked of me.  That would be too easy.  Have to go to the great northern marsh, then.  Find a sunken kingdom and a sword.  Better start walking.

Luke loses his way in the forest for several hours but eventually makes it back to the village, covered in dirt and scratches and sweat.  He ends up spending the next few days in the healer's house, sleeping off the madness.

When he regains his wits, he begins writing down all his best memories of his dead companions.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #43 - Jun 12th, 2010 at 10:17pm

Lukes dreams begin to real in the familiar manner the oracle reaches out to him.

"Has my faith been misplaced? Surely the gallant warrior and simple man I knew in my former life is not the turncoat in whom we've entrusted so much? It is not the way of Heironeous to flee before conflict when weaker men prevail. It is not the retreat which stains your honor rather the abandonment of those who rely on you. I must atone for my error in judgment. I pray that my fondness and sentimentality have not compromised my divine gifts.  I only hope that the punishment is not so severe that I cannot aid those who suffer in Whitehall. Fare thee well my Bart, my last remnant of my old life. I know someday you will be the man you longed to be, the man who your revealed glimpses of on those long spring days so many years ago.."

« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2010 at 7:19pm by hewhorocks »  

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

me.

Reply #44 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 8:04pm

Luke wakes up in the middle of the night, pulls some clothes on (including armor, swords, and shield, just in case), and goes to find a tavern that's still serving at this hour.  He buys a bottle of the strongest, filthiest rotgut available ( some dwarven concoction distilled from underground fungus) and sips it in a dark corner, mumbling.

"Faith?  Has your faith been misplaced, just because I lost my nerve for a damn second?  I mean, yeah, I guess it was always misplaced if you thought I was some kind of gorram perfect hero . . . if you think what I did in that fight makes me a turncoat.  I thought you knew what I was.  Probably the ugliest, most ignorant knight that Shattered Bridge has ever seen."

"Lady, you may be an Oracle now, but I guess maybe you haven't seen enough battle to really understand.  Better men than me have lost their courage.  It's not the end.  If you live through it, then you learn from it and you don't let it happen again, that's all.

"And by the way, where do you get off calling those guys 'weaker men'?  I mean, probably that damn halfling, yeah, but Brent's a brave and noble guy, and those dwarves are just stone cold killers.  I've got a lot to learn from them.

"Think what you want of me, but I'm just going to keep on doing the job that fate gave me.  I'm going to kill the dracolich, or I'm going to die trying.  So if you're not going to help, then go haunt somebody else and I'll handle this myself.  With the help of Heironeous and whoever else is willing.

". . . meh, you're not listening, why am I still talking?  That's enough booze for now."

As dawn is breaking over Holderness, Luke corks the half-empty bottle and takes it with him as he heads back to meet Brent, Ladron, Thir and Brenna for another day of guard duty.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2010 at 7:21pm by hewhorocks »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print