Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Nadarresh: Dragonborn Ranger (Read 2893 times)
moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Re: Nadarresh: Dragonborn Ranger
Reply #15 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 2:32am

Nadarresh realizing the amount of goods here, decides to stick to his plans of recovering what he can but will contact his father's group to come out and recover what they can and get it to the original caravan group as planned.  He does take some basic preserved fruits and food for the journey back to town since it will probably be another day before they will finish their work here...

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Reply #16 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 2:37am

[Very nice writing, Sean!  But please forgive my contradicting it slightly -- there is no way that Luke could be so distracted that he would ignore a roar so loud.]

((Rest of post moved to Luke's thread. Tom makes a good point though try not to RP other player characters for them, NPC's are fair game until taken over by Dm Fiat.-The Voice from the clouds))
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2009 at 7:02am by hewhorocks »  

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #17 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 3:27am

((Sorry about the distraction notations Luke...I was adding in the point of him being distracted, a bit too much on my part...))

Feeling foolish for crying out and even a bit more disturbed at how powerful it sounded,

(Luke is so shocked by the sudden roar of Nadarresh that he trips and falls on his face.   He scrambles to his feet and whips out his sword, looking around for the attack.  Realizing that the roar is Nadarresh's, he feels a bit foolish and puts his sword away.

"Are you okay?  Did you see something terrible?"  He walks to Nadarresh with a concerned look on his face.

"I really don't know where that came from!  I was just angry at how much death came from all of this.  What do we do with their things as well?!  Burying them is the right thing to do & no one would even think to help these people even if they had the means unless someone told them to do it!  We are helping them to move on into the next life and I will ask Bahamut to usher them to a peaceful rest.  I think too of their belongings as personal but what use is their money to them right now?!?!  I plan to ask my father's caravan group to seek out who they might belong (Leigh are there any markings that establish who or where they hail from?)  If we can get some of these goods back to them or be sold and the proceeds passed onto their kin then I will rest well knowing that we have done even more good to the region.  I ask you though Luke...how many do we try to bury?  All?  Yes!  Do we try to describe these broken & torn bodies to every caravan merchant we meet?  how many before we stop looking?"  Nadarresh was quite agitated but in frustration now, not anger.

"I just wish to see them onward to whatever awaits them.  I know that we could use the coins that they carried to better supply ourselves and our companions and help to fend off the regions thugs and beings intent on harming these same people.  I wonder though is it theft if we take nothing personal of theirs and do our best to find the true owners?  No, it is not as long as we stay true to our hearts.  I am helping them as are you, so the coins we take serve the common good of the people that died here.  If it is marked we turn it over and pass on what personal effects we can perhaps to the goodly monks of the region (Leigh I figure that I would know which monks and priests are charitable and would help us...)

Assuming Nadarresh shares something of what is on his mind, Luke responds as follows:

"These people . . . it's bad, what happened here, but they're in a better place.  A lot of them, anyway."

Luke says "Telling someone what happened seems like a good idea, even though there's no way we could haul all this stuff.  If we go to Holderness next, maybe there's someone there we could tell?  The, um... owner of the caravan or whatever...")

Nadarresh takes his time with each person noting what they have on them, hoping to remember as many details as he can to better describe the people he has seen...

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #18 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 3:47am

His mind settled by venting to Luke have calmed him.  Nadarresh looks at the goods and calls out to Luke, "15 wagons worth of trade goods (flour, iron,  preserved fruits, cloth, dried fish, tar, charcoal, a few bricks of salt) can be recovered.  Far to much to carry without draft animals pulling wagons, so we will need to get my father's group or another to some out here and recover the goods before the brigands come to claim them."

"We can get supplies here, carrying what dried goods and provisions we can carry comfortably.  Get the others and then continue on together, apart if necessary, although with all the evil we have faced I think it best we stay together!"

He smiled then and continued working.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #19 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 11:39pm

Having just buried three more bodies and marking the graves, Nadarresh pauses to get some water and some dried fruit, leaning back low against a tree until he settles into a half lying position, his head ridges leaning against one of the larger roots.

Luke seems to have been looking at a box and opens it, examinging the contents.  Too far away to see anything except bits of metal as the sun shines off of it.  Nadarresh tries to shift up into a sitting position and suddenly the box is slammed shut.

Luke takes a long drink from his waterskin.

"Nadarresh, do you have any idea what six severed hands in a circle mean?"

Nadarresh just shrugs and shakes his head no, then grabs some more of the preserved fruits and heads over to Luke.  He looks at Luke trying to get an idea of what he's asking about.  Guessing it had something to do with what was in the box, he says, "Is there something bad in there?  (Leigh have I seen the six hands in a circle before while traveling with my father?)  I'm not sure if I have ever seen anything like that...skull and cross bones my brother drew once when he thought Pirates were interesting...but nothing with six hands let alone one..."

He sits next to Luke and hands him some of the preserved fruits.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #20 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 3:38pm

Before leaving, Nadarresh goes back to the common room of the last place they stayed while in Brix.  He's wondering if anyone has heard about or from his brother who had nothing but contempt for him the last time they saw each other.

Nadarresh is worried if his brother Kell took on too much or was just too drunk and boastful.  It has been several weeks since this happened.  He asks the bartender and bar wenches if they have seen anyone matching his description, hoping that someone has heard something.  Mentioning as well the mine and the map.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #21 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 4:48pm

(Having failed the streetwise check but passing a perception check later...Oh I’m sneaky)

While recovering from his wounds under the stars and thinking about his searches of his brother through the town Nadarresh recalls seeing a well dressed gnome with ladies of questionable morals on each arm skip out of a tavern while still awaiting a roast pig. He thought nothing of it at the time but with a food shortage it didn’t make sense to order and not eat, even for the lust crazed! Another thing, the gnome had something wrong with him.... He was missing a hand.

“Why is that striking me as familiar?”  Nadarresh sits up from his rest and notes from the position of the moon it’s not his watch yet.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Nadarresh makes a realization...
Reply #22 - Jan 7th, 2010 at 7:44pm

Nadarresh makes a realization...

While recovering from his wounds under the stars and thinking about his searches of his brother through the town Nadarresh recalls seeing a well dressed gnome with ladies of questionable morals on each arm skip out of a tavern while still awaiting a roast pig. He thought nothing of it at the time but with a food shortage it didn’t make sense to order and not eat, even for the lust crazed! Another thing, the gnome had something wrong with him.... He was missing a hand.

“Why is that striking me as familiar?”  Nadarresh sits up from his rest and notes from the position of the moon it’s not his watch yet.

Suddenly more worried about his brother and more so about the Gnome he spotted in town, he thinks about how these past few months have moved him along in his life.

Responsibility has been something he never shied away from and his parents always pushing him to be strong of will and to work hard all of his life.  He never doubted he could achieve what he wanted as long as he worked to get there.

His path had been set as he learned about hunting, tracking, and the outdoors, he realized how much more there was to experience in life and the world.  Kell, a friend as well as his brother with subtle big brother attitude intact all the time, made it his duty, like their father did to teach him about finishing what you started but most importantly knowing how to finish a task by looking at as many options as possible and then choosing the best path.  As they moved down an unbroken set of leaves, covered in a layer of mist, moving as silently as possible towards their goal: a young boar.  The day was near to its end, the air cooling faster as the sun created long shadows and the tracks to their left were fully pressed into the soft dirt.  It was leading to a dense underbrush that wound around a section of jagged & rocky outcropping.  He had been near here and also knew that some caves were close by and figured that the young boar was heading towards them.

A section of the "trail" would turn to the left and then towards the river.  He knew if they pushed themselves that they could make it to the caves before the boar and ambush him.  They ran quickly towards the caves and in fact came out by a thicket within fifteen yards downwind from where the boar would be coming.  Twenty, long minutes later, they were well concealed and spotted the boar coming up the trail.  Aiming carefully,  below the tusks, above the shoulder joint, one single shot would bring it down.  No wind, good enough lighting, just a few more feet...three seconds later the arrow pierced the boars skin, felling it without so much as a squeal. 

His path had been set when his father asked him to join them on the road as a caravan guard.  He gladly accepted knowing it would show him more of the world than he had seen thus far.  He was welcomed by the dwarven companions and those that knew him through his father.  the others were a bit wary at first but soon realized that he was a kind soul that worked hard and was a good cook.  His first duties were foraging for extra food and preparing meals.  In truth he rarely ever served as a guard except when they were in the deep trails and wilderness where he and his brother were scouts making sure the pathway was clear of debris and obstacles.

His path had been set when his friends were slain, when they were attacked by the wolves and when one had been dragged away.  He met some good friends and companions who he had trusted and still was trusting with his life.  He knew that the people of the area were worth saving and that the wolves were as well.  Luke needed help as did his fellow followers of Heironeous and he'd do his best to make sure their task was completed.

The gnome had something to do with his brother Kell or with him and he would tell the others and see what they thought because it was not unlike Bahamut to guide his faithful.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Nadarresh: Dragonborn Ranger
Reply #23 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 9:03pm

He gets his waterskin out, takes a long drink and then sits again near the fire.  As he sits, he closes his eyes and thinks back upon the previous days fight and how ineffective he was in the overall fight, instigating the drakes instead of killing them.  His lightning breath, however much smaller than a true Dragons, could and had been effective but had to be used from its maximum distance.  Also, making better use of his weapons when fighting to make sure each strike would be the best possible strike.

He opened his eyes while listening to Dayereth commenting quickly and going back to his impromptu training session.

After speaking his peace, he pulled out his sword and flail, working them around himself, not faster, but closer to his body, letting it flow around him rather than striking out so randomly.  At first he did little more than scrape against his scales along his shoulders but after a few moments, his movements became more fluid and he was able to swing his swords with more grace.  He took several steps, towards a small copse of trees and bushes that had fallen and were dead, all the while weaving his swords around him.  As he came within weapons reach, he struck out first his sword, then the flail closely behind it hitting the same mark within a hands breadth of each other.  He turned again and struck at another tree, and did the same, this time a bit closer.  After about a dozen hits, he struck each time with each blow coming within two fingers of each other.  As he began to get bored, he stepped left and turned, continuing to whirl his weapons about him and then jumped forward and to the side, then unleashed his lightning breath.  Much to his surprise, it struck not the trees in front of him but the ones behind them nearly three times the distance.  Causing a mid sized ball of lightning to spark near and around the trees.

His sword and flail stopped moving then, as he moved back further and again unleashed his breath weapon.  This time he thought to aim it a little to his left at the dead trees he had been hitting.  He struck at the base of the one sending curling energy around it, singeing it slightly, as it was dry and brittled.  He started moving his weapons and with practice was able to draw the flail as quickly as his sword soon and after about an hour, he was able to aim his lightning anywhere he chose within about fifty feet.  Once though he aimed too close to himself and if not for him jumping away quickly would have gotten himself.

Please at his progress, he felt a bit stronger and he also built up his endurance in the process as well, figuring that having trekked through the deep woods and mountain areas had helped him.  Afterall moving large fallen tree limbs for several days certainly was a workout!

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #24 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 2:00am

“So how is my favorite Lizardman eh? “ With a laugh the drunk gnome hits Nadarresh's back with a hearty slap.  “Shame about Kell then eh?” the gnome takes another swig of mead finishing the oversized flagon and throws 1about 10 beat up silver coins on the bar. “Another one for me and one for scaly here and I'll be pulling a coin back from the pile every second I wait!” The gnome lets out a belch fit for an ogre never mind a one-handed gnome. “That gets them hurrying. Like I said lets have a drink to err.....err... Kell thats right.  You know we found it, yep Kell's map was right, just too bad that tunnel  sealed him in there or he's be drinking with us.”  A bottle of expensive looking wine is placed on the br. “Spidersilk eh? Thats good stuff!” the gnome takes a hearty gulp but doesnt offer any to Nadarresh. A second drink never comes.

Nadarresh learns that Kess had an old map to a mine that was abandoned during some war and then forgotten. The gnome was part of an expedition to the mine and was one of only two who survived a cave in. He didnt mention the name of the other survivor. Apparently the rest of the expedition was sealed inside the mine. Ropple assures Nadarresh that Kell is most certainly dead and is all to willing to fill in details though as the night progresses the story makes less and less sense. Still the braggart gnome tells more and more stories until at last he passes out. Nadarresh goes to move him hoping to learn more when the gnome sobers up only to find him stiff and cold to the touch.  A quick search of the gnomes belongings finds a small scribbled note “ Little boy mountain” with a  bit of math “8X 50 = 300 silver!”

"Well he wasnt bright and he had a big mouth, still he seemed to now something of Kell and someone wanted him shut up."  Naderresh decides he should probably relocate inns before someone does "buy him a drink" besides the watch will come soon and he'd likely get arrested for being big and scary.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #25 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 12:49am

Nadarresh's Response about his brother Kell & the Gnome

Wiser than the gnome probably gives him credit for, Nadarresh billows out the folds of his cloak, and as discretely as he can (trained in stealth +8) he appears to be helping his gnome friend, continues searching for anything else the gnome might have regarding his brother and just loud enough for those around him to hear, raises his glass and says in a slightly slurred voice, a toast to the Gnome, “My friend, for once I finally out drink you…next time you’ll have to pay!”  He then puts his glass down on the bar, tips the bartender  8sp from the gnomes pile and says, “Please see my friend gets a bed for the night…he couldn’t out drink me tonight but I am not carrying him home no matter how little he is…”  he says laughing slightly.

This news along with how the town seemed to “get better” is troubling Nadarresh.  It seems only his father and his new friends have shown any signs of honor and loyalty.  Nadarresh suspects that the Gnome was not telling him all about his brother’s fate and it is quite odd that several times, the gnome seems to be the one that gets away and escapes death.  Having seen the devoted Cleric turn to evil, he thinks it is very possible that his brother may have been led astray.  He will have to investigate more about the “scribbled note “ Little boy mountain” with a  bit of math “8X 50 = 300 silver!””

When the gnome awakens he will be sure to get more info about his brothers apparent demise, standing on the premise that he would seek to find his body and give him a proper burial…it’s what their parents would want to be done.  He’ll talk to the others as soon as he sees them about pursuing this course.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #26 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 7:46pm

Long after rest and recuperation heals the nagging infections of his friends Naderresh remains ill. The journey through the sewers did not sit well with him….perhaps it was his bare feet? In any case his persistent cough and fever has kept not only him but his companions up at night and the staff of the Filthy Ore have begun hinting that the sick lizard is bad for business. At one point Dayereth had taken to magic “just to keep the sickly lizard quiet” though everyone is concerned. Towns fear the plague as much as fire and none of the locals seem to be adept enough to handle this illness. 

Naderresh’s fever filled dreams are of a large rock outcropping rising above a jagged terrain. The dark clouds stream by with flashes of heat lightning but no rain. The only sounds are the snap of a whip and bestial grunts.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #27 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 6:21pm

Moving towards the door, he says, "I'll be out the northeast gate, near the Hill Gates area.  Please meet me there and then we can decide where to go."

Once Nadarresh gets there, he will study all he knows of nature +9 dungeoneering +9 and history +3 to figure out where this large rock outcropping might be.  (not just the skills themselves but his knowledge of the area and all his travels with the caravan and what people have talked about, i.e. An old guard talking about the dryness of the hills of (insert area here) where he thinks it might be located.  An extended test of sorts.

((Note: the wyverndale area map shows the smallest spar of the thorn wood. Pull up the map on page 17? of the campaign guide to get a true scope of the size of the thing.))
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2010 at 8:27pm by hewhorocks »  

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #28 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 9:34pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Grin

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #29 - Mar 19th, 2010 at 10:32pm

I love that movie!!!  Surprised that no one had said it before!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print