Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Nadarresh: Dragonborn Ranger (Read 2896 times)
moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Nadarresh: Dragonborn Ranger
Aug 26th, 2009 at 3:09pm

I have decided to see how difficult/fun this will be adding the Dragonborn to the region as probably the only one for 2000 miles.  I am ready to take the challenge despite how odd it might make this new campaign...

Nadarresh is 22 years old born just north of Tyr and southwest of Belivich to "Human" parents, his mother Mraja and father Aidan.  He has an older brother as well named Kell.  He and Kell have trained with their father, a soldier of 29 years since they were young and although it has only been four years that Nadarresh has worked with the caravan, serving as cook, scout and general errand master, he's been looking to seek out more of the excitement that he has heard quite often.  His father has always been a guard, serving in Westhold and also Hildebrand where he met Mraja.

The twice a season journey to Westhold with his father, who was a guard for the dwarven and human caravan, helped his brother to be a well seasoned fighter but Nadarresh, sitting close to the supply wagon did little more than watch his family and the dwarves fight off the few bandits, goblins and orcs known to the region.

More to come...

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Re: Nadarresh: Dragonborn Ranger
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 7:27pm

It had been three hours since he’d seen any more deer tracks or any tracks for that matter.  Five miles from the river and any known paths only meant he needed to move faster.  Nadarresh had learned to track from his mother but oddly made mistakes when it came to recalling all that she taught him.  Preparing small game and herbs in a stew were easy to him, exact, measured, manageable.  Knowing the types of tree to see which one a rabbit would likely stay near because the soil there is soft enough to dig but hard enough to keep its shape in the rains and the types of grass that deer like because so do the rabbits is important to know. Not knowing every rock outcropping and where exactly those trees, grass and deer are located made the whole process difficult.  Looking to the west and the rapidly falling sun, he spotted a large Conifer and made his way to it, deftly dodging the rocks and loose dirt to make his way to its base.  He scanned around quickly and realized it was in fact the sturdiest and tallest in the area and he began to climb.  Finally reaching about thirty-five feet in the air he braced himself with one hand and shading his eyes, looked north first and slowly rotating to his right searching the area stopping suddenly as he saw a column of smoke.  It was easily ten miles from here seeming to be on the upper ridges, just by the side of the mountains smooth southwestern face.

Two figures came into view suddenly, running quite carelessly along one of the ridge trails that wound closer to the south.  They were closer than the column of smoke by almost half the distance but still too far from this tree.  If not for the smooth, light colored limestone, he’d never have noticed the figures due to the distance.  Five more figures followed the first two, one closing so fast to what appeared to be a warrior.  A sword appeared, the sun flashed briefly on the blade, stopped the blow that would have taken it in the back or head.  The first figure kept moving but the remaining ones fell upon the second, ripping into his flesh with swords and one grabbed the figure and bit into his neck, not so much to injure but most likely to inspire yet more fear.  Nadarresh saw the first figure fall as well and then suddenly be lifted into the air and cast from a height of at least seventy feet.  Orcs!  He recognized two of them with a red and yellow paint that identified their clan.

Knowing he could do nothing, he looked further south and spotted three deer in a small clearing just five-hundred yards from where he was perched.  The anger burned in him, by Bahamut those people would have justice one day very soon.  The anger not subsiding, he focused again on the deer that quietly ate and he climbed down from the tree and slowly and cautiously made his way towards the clearing to finish first things first.  Stepping in this mountain forest it was easy to stay quiet as the rains had come the day before softening the twigs, grass and soil.  Sixty yards away and downwind of the deer, he steadied himself and let his arrow fly.  One inch to the left of his mark, but solidly piercing the deer, it took off as the others did but not as quickly or surefooted.  Nadarresh cursed as he knew his anger had gotten the better of him, breaking his concentration.  He kept his bow in hand but drew one of his longswords running flat out to try and catch up to the deer.  A wounded deer may not move far but it was still faster than he was and he had to kill it quickly so it would not suffer long.  A few direction changes and a large log ended the chase as he easily cleared the log and quickly slit the deer’s throat.

Quickly, he used some rope, tying the feet together, inspecting the arrow but finding it was useless now, having been broken in three places and further imbedded into the body.  He swung the deer over his shoulder after cleaning his blade and made his way back to the caravan’s campsite.

Less than an hour later, he arrived just as the first few fires had been started.  Placing the deer in the wagon, he heard a boy pleading for help, something about a drunk Ogre and a girl missing.  He was just about to start skinning the deer when he heard, “Nadarresh!!  Come forth and warm yourself by this fire."
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2009 at 10:40pm by moyphotos »  

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 5:38am

Arendis had left the group heading to report back to Nerisella and the others still packing up getting ready for the journey to Brix. 

Nadarresh had been on his own before a few days at a time but always within a few dozen miles from home as the forests and mountains were all a part of where he lived.  Now, so far from home, with his father and brother nowhere near him to ask advice.  He was finding out that in truth he did not need them and had made solid decisions in the past few days that he never would have thought to make.  His companions had neither questioned him nor doubted him not that his family did but it was odd to have others count on him so completely.

He searched all around the lean-to and moved 300 paces in four directions , circling the old wizards tower, searching for signs of anything the Ogre Grim jack might have stashed any of the towers goods.  It was possible Grim Jack had not found anything in the tower of value, had already sold them and spent the gold or worse yet nothing had been found at all.  Still after all they had done to defeat the wizard, it only seemed right to be as thorough as possible.  What if some other evil object or blade was found by someone else who would not know how evil and deadly it might just be.  in truth he was having fun looking for even the possibility of something new or valuable that he and his new companions might be able to use against this odd new evil.

The area might be somewhere he could gather more supplies as well.  He had scrounged up plenty of food, well at least 3 days worth but if he could gather more food it would mean less money they would have to spend in town.  What if like the Sea of Grass there were no towns before they could find food?  He decided to do what he could to lessen that possibility and if he found something of value left behind...

((edited for clarity))
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2009 at 12:57am by hewhorocks »  

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 12:48am

Finding nothing of interest in the ogres den was a disappointment though hardly surprising. The brute had done little more than steal food and ale from the villagers for years.  With the caravan days in the opposite direction Nadarresh decides he mine as well travel to Brix with the others, besides a new city means new adventure! It takes a couple days to get acclimated to the city still hes glad for the a fair nights sleep had at the inn, even if the bed is too small he cant hear those damn birds and that alone is worth the coin.

While wandering the the narrow streets near the north gate, Narrdaresh finds the inhabitants not as unfriendly as he may have expected, then again he could have sworn he saw a pair of goblins picking through the trash in an alley behind the inn. He is recognized almost immediately everywhere in the district he goes and he finds himself enjoying his celebrity. While his armor passes well for clothes he has be admonished several times for wearing a sword in public, It seems knives are ok and nobles seem to wear foils but apparently those rules dont apply to his kind. Well hes seen more than one barbarian get hauled in by the watch for carrying blades so maybe...bahh its to much to think about.

Narrdaresh hears music and steps inside an tavern. The fire seems to be stoked with some sort of fruit wood, adding a smoky haze to the room but filling it with the smell of Apples and Cinnamon. About 5 of the dozen tables are occupied, no one is paying the gnomish bard on stage much attention.

"Ah for our newest patron I will tell a tale from your father's days..." the crowd consisting of mostly humans continues its conversations.

" There was a great evil in the hills to the west..
Elves named her Var' Korathem
And though Brix sent her very best
There was no hope for them

The heroes fell one by one
foul humors ate their bones
while as she tended her evil brood
Fair Brix cowered in their homes

Var' Korathem's reign lasted a score of years
Her black wings clouded the sky
not a single caravan did she let pass by

The house paid her tribute
Still her greed could not be fulfilled
So the diabolic Var' Korathem, rule Brix from the hills

Then the great prince Mallory drew his silver sword
and challenged the black foul beast
Every harvest we celebrate with  prince Mallory's victorious feast."

While the song explains the the harvest feast day, it doesnt do much for the crowd. The gnome looks somewhat disappointed and tries his luck with bawdy drinking songs featuring a well endowed damsel named " Bruge Bitties"

« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2009 at 10:26pm by hewhorocks »  

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 10:28pm

Looking about the room again, past the Gnome and then back around, Nadarresh notices that few seem to be carrying any weapons, anything visible at least so heading towards a corner, he discreetly pulls his bedroll out, wraps it around his swords and cuts off a length of rope around it.  The lower end is tied tight but the upper end is looser so that he can open it to retrieve his weapons.  I anyone looked it would just seem a "normal" traveler with his bedroll hanging over his shoulder.  In truth it was much bigger but his large size and girth made it seem small to most everyone else.

Satisfied he blended in as best he could, he joined the rest in the tavern and went to the barkeep and dropping a silver piece down asks for some ale.  Scanning the room for one of his companions but realizing suddenly that he rose early this morning just after dawn and his friends would probably be asleep still.  he looked over the crowd again hoping to find a woodsman or someone familiar with the forests in hopes of starting a conversation about the crows in town.

Hopefully since they didn't shun him perhaps he might be able to speak to one of them...by Bahamut he hoped it would go well!

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 10:43pm

"So word is YOU killed a dragon!"

Kell greets him the snide tone that Nadarresh has come to view as brotherly affection though every onlooker immediately recognizes as condescension. Kell walks quickly across the tavern. He grips a rolled up parchment in his tightly clenched fist.

“I found this map of a lost mine in the dwarf’s things. I’m off to seek my fortune, I wont be shown up by you….I’ve hired some porters to help carry equipment. I’ve even got Belbec here to help identify the best stones!”

Nadarresh sees Kell motion to two men and a gnome. The men Nadarresh recognizes from the caravan the gnome looks to have led a rough life. He is missing his left hand  and a scar rakes across the right side of his face this is apparently Belbec. The gnome smiles anxiously.

“You’ll see who brings greater glory to our father’s name!” Kell laughs , “I hear the ‘dragon’ was the vast size of a housecat!” Kell used finger quotes to augment his smirk  when mentioning the dragon.

Looking around the tavern again Kell snarls, “Nice place, I guess your too important to stay in trader's inns now.”

Kell storms out before Nadarresh can say a word. Ah well….Brotherhood.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 11:57pm

Tired from moving the Dragon upstairs, Nadarresh goes downstairs to get a drink from the inn keeper's son, who like many this day have been doing, smiling, some genuinely.  He nods and hoists his flagon of ale and takes a deeps drink.

"So word is YOU killed a dragon!"  the voice shouts!  He doesn't even have to ask who it is as it's the same voice that always breaks into a conversation during evening meals.  He nods and gives his brother a genuine smile but it is not returned, as always, since he had bested him in their last sparring match, three months ago.

Since then his brother who was always leading the way did something he had never done, not talked to him as his brother anymore, just as the "cook", errand "boy", or "slop master!", the last one his brother preferred most often.

Since they were young, Nadarresh being younger, knew how different he was but his family had always been loving and close to him, never doing anything different.  His brother would play fight and pick on him around the house within earshot of his parents in a good natured way but out of the house he was an overprotective pain sometimes, making sure that "little" Nadarresh never got into trouble.

Nadarresh liked it that way, admiring his brothers skills that were very close to their father's.  The younger brother had always watched and learned, studying them as they sparred while he sat with their mother before supper.  He never thought he could be better than his older brother and never really tried to until four months ago, when he felled his first deer, all alone, after tracking it for five hours in one of the most difficult areas of the forrest.  It was in fact his brother who said to him that he was finally a man and that he might be able to beat him one day after all.  It inspired the younger sibling unlike anything his parents or anyone else had done or said before!

Their last sparring bout lasted almost an hour, as for once Nadarresh kept his guard fluid, looking for the right time to strike.  His brother seeing the change had pushed him hard that day in the match, forcing moves to test every angle and level of fury, controlled but fast, slow but powerful, never letting his brother get a chance to attack.  In the last moments he pushed his brother back with his shield to yield any advantage and then rolled around his own shield and attacked from the other side, his sword tip leading towards Nadarresh's shoulder at an odd angle in this daring overhand reverse strike from over the shield.  The move seemed unexpected but the younger brother swiped the sword away with both swords up and around, down to his right but then pushed forward, dipping his shoulder, dropping down low and spinning, stepped forward, thrusting first one and then the other sword at his brothers mid-section.  The first was caught by his shield, the second by his sword but the tide had turned and now Nadarresh was on the attack!

He struck left then right, then both swords, then right and left, and right again, never repeating his pattern of attacks.  After a dozen attacks, he sprung into the air, bringing both swords around for overhand chops, his brother seeing the obvious ruse, kept his eye on the swords and his shield up just enough to feign the block.  Kell stepped aside just as the first sword would have come down but instead, he had to quickly bring his shield up to block his brother's thrust just at the last instant!  He was too late however to protect his left side and Nadarresh and his full 350 pounds came crashing into his shield, knocking him flat on his back.  His sword was still up but only managed to deflect one sword but not the other as Nadarresh stood over him one sword resting by his exposed neck and shoulder.

“I found this map of a lost mine in the dwarf’s things. I’m off to seek my fortune, I wont be shown up by you….I’ve hired some porters to help carry equipment. I’ve even got Belbec here to help identify the best stones!”

Nadarresh sees Kell motion to two men and a gnome. The men Nadarresh recognizes from the caravan the gnome looks to have led a rough life. He is missing his left hand  and a scar rakes across the right side of his face this is apparently Belbec. The gnome smiles anxiously.

“You’ll see who brings greater glory to our father’s name!” Kell laughs , “I hear the ‘dragon’ was the vast size of a housecat!” Kell used finger quotes to augment his smirk  when mentioning the dragon.

Looking around the tavern again Kell snarls, “Nice place, I guess your too important to stay in trader's inns now.”

Still not grasping his brothers anger as genuine, he can only stand there smiling as Kell leaves the inn.  His words echoing in his mind...

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 5:47am

Pronunciation guide rhymes with

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

((will post rp update sometime tomorrow))

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 4:23pm

Sorry I am slacking, I will have it up by tonight.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #9 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 5:10pm

The recent evil that has fallen into Nadarresh's path has awakened him to so much of the world and shown him that along with the fine companions he has met, there are many evil forces in the world that prey on the weak.  His actions have helped him to learn more about himself and his fighting techniques and overall strategy.  As he wakes in the this odd magical place, he decides at once to dedicate the next few days to researching a better way to fight.

With so many recent battles, he has shown courage and insight but also a bit of recklessness.  Seeing Dayereth's ability to teleport out of harm's way but knowing that he himself will never be have such a power, Nadarresh practices with Luke and the others and studies his surroundings better seeing that if he can pull his enemy in after his enemy misses him, he can choose to gain the advantage on him, if only temporairily.  After many tries, he's able to pull in his opponent closer to him after HE is attacked.  Satisfied with his progress, he starts working on another issue he has noticed.

Having been caught without a weapon on a few occasions, has led him to work on keeping a weapon with him always, so adjusting his backpack and belt pouch, he sets the dagger in the small of his back, so it can be reached by either of his hands.  He then practices drawing and readying the dagger as quickly as possible until it feels natural.  He moves his second sword, opening the leather strap further so it drops just a bit lower on his waist, and does the same with his other sword.  Now both swords are easier to draw and after practicing drawing them, he realizes that he can do the same thing with some oil in his belt pouch as well as the flint and steel.  Amazingly his control has helped him become slightly faster or so it seems to him.  The rest of the journey he continually draws and sheaths his weapons, drawing looks from his companions.

...Unbalancing Parry; immediate reaction- An enemy misses with a melee attack; slide enemy into a square adjacent to you & gain combat advantage until the end of your next turn.

Feat- Quick Draw – Can draw one weapon (or object, such as a potion, stored in a belt pouch, bandolier, or similar container) as part of the same action used to attack with the weapon or use the object; gain +2 bonus to initiative checks...

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #10 - Nov 14th, 2009 at 8:28pm

In talking of not using his swords that his family gave him, he considers their value to him on a personal level then considers again that out here, sentiments will not help defeat his enemies only steel his will against them.  His actions in the past months have not been all that he would have expected nor would his family...most of all he realizes that he has been so very sheltered despite all that he was taught by Keshtik, his father and brother, everything.

He knows that learing on his own will be the greatest way he will grow in life.  His father's words ring in his mind, "I can teach you how to aim for the deer's heart, I can tell you why it is the best spot for a quick death, how long it will take and why it will be painless, but know that you take its life for the greater good, not for sport and not for pleasure.  It will sustain us and we can make use of it all so that we might survive.  Be sure that anything and everything you do will have consequences and that you must decide what is for the greater good."

Kobolds, dragons, wolves, stirges, centipedes, giant or otherwise, the minotaur, crows even all were part of this world and he had killed them all.  He knew that most Kobolds were evil in nature and serving the Dragon, was proof of that.  The wolves even if against their natures had taken lives and he had to stop their assault on the peoples of this region...they had killed his friends and broken up families.

He had used the dagger to rip the souls from the orb thinking only of defeating the evil undead thing and releasing the obviously tormented souls but his companions had treated him differently and seemed bothered that he had used it.  Was he being rash in absorbing them into the dagger?  He knew that he would take it to the shrine of We Jas and let them be at peace.  He also knew that the power and strength he felt when the dagger absorbed all the souls was not natural but it had to be done to save them in the end.  He knew that and would have to live with the results of his actions as he had been doing.

his actions did affect others but he felt he was doing the right thing in the eyes of bahamut and spirit of Mielikki.  He would remember and honor them and all would be at peace knowing that.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2009 at 10:49pm

Walking with Luke, the two talk about combat and strategies and learn that they have similar styles at times despite their diverse training.  What happened to Zarb Zarba has been on Nadarresh's mind and he asks Luke whatever could have happened to him?  In some ways he thinks that Zarb was way too excentric and decided that staying on his own was better for everyone.  He smiles and recalls the odd way in which the wizard had acted.

The dagger seems heavy or perhaps it is his heart that troubles him.  As they bury the last of the caravan he canonly wonder how many more would have died had he and his companions not intervened.  Despite the odd looks he got from the others, he feels good about the souls being pulled into the dagger as he can safely put them to rest without fear that they would have fueled an evil being into a power in this region which might not have been stopped for some time.

When the others talked about the wizard’s guild of Holderness, he just shrugged and seemed to tune out what even Luke said along their journey.  Nodding but not offering any opinion on the subject.  The wizard's all seemed to be power crazy despite how normal Dayereth seemed in their time together.

As the trails grown more open he decides to work with Luke some more on something he has been going over in his head more and more.  As each time they fought, he realized that he moves quickly, gets into position but boxes himself into a tight situation that he can't escape from easily.  By attacking quickly but leaving himself room to move around he can attack and then move past his opponent before he can focus on the attack.

(Ranger power Cut and Run - Target one or two creatures - Strength vs. AC - two attacks, main and off-hand.  1[W] + strength +4; after the first or second attack you can shift a number of squares equal to 1 plus your WIS +2;)

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #12 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 5:46am

Nadarresh finds the gruesome work of burial somewhat disturbing. Poor souls he had never met now find themselves grateful to a dragonborn who they would have shunned in life. As Nadarresh places the broken bodies in their shallow graves he sees a glimpses of their former lives...a wedding band, a holy symbol, tattoos proclaiming reverence to the Raven spirit each offering a peek into the lives of the caravan riders.

((Do you loot the bodies, the carts, or neither?))

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #13 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 6:45pm

Seeing the bodies, Nadarresh no starnger to the life in a caravan sees the small nuances and facets of their lives, seeing the small trinkets made of wood, metal, silver & gold.  He sees the simple but shining gold band a man wears, indicating his wedding band and wonders if his family even knows he is dead.  Another woman, obviously a guard, has a silver emblem of the god Tempus.  Little it did to protect her or those she was meant to protect...he thinks slightly saddened.

As he gathers their meager belongings, he does his best to keep what sems to go with each person, not truly sure if he is right in matching it all up.  As he thinks on this he has no idea what will happen in all of this choas, hundreds of questions flooding his mind at once.  What will happen to the families?  Will they be able to survive now that no income has come to them.  Are people still waiting for them?  What should be done with the goods from the wagons?  The Silver & gold?  Who would we tell of their fates?  Is their anyone left to tell or did they too die?

He stands suddenly in anger and lets out a tremendous roar, echoing that of a Dragon.  The trees surrounding them seemed to shake and truly he looks around looking for a Dragon but already knowing in his heart that it came from him.

He calms himself by thinking of his family and suddenly an idea forms in his mind.  Having gone through almost all of the wagons, he takes mental stock of what was left and decides to gather what was left in the wagons.  Knowing so many trading caravans, he knows his father's group would know almost all of the groups or at least who the guards may have worked for, which would tell him where the caravan originated from as well as who might have been among the dead.  Once he knows who the goods belong to he can return them via his father's group and send word to the families of those slain.  The goods will be taken care ofand so will the families and the bodies and their spirits will be at rest.

Thinking suddenly of where he is he looks to Luke wondering what he must think but Luke is leaning over a small container, staring quite intently.  He calls out to him but is still too distracted to notice...thinking perhaps someone is near, he drops down lower, and scans the treeline, checking for attackers and quickly makes his way to Luke, calling him as he gets closer realizing at last that there is no attack but Luke is quite distracted...

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #14 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 12:51am

15 wagons worth of trade goods (flour, iron,  preserved fruits, cloth, dried fish, tar, charcoal, a few bricks of salt) can be recovered.

Far to much to carry without draft animals pulling the wagons.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print