Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Aerandis: Elven Ranger (Read 3578 times)
hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Re: Aerandis: Elven Ranger
Reply #15 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 1:05am

(ok retraining... spirit companion is a badger.)

Nerisella is thankful for the information and rewards Aerandis with a staff of ironwood (suitable for the manufacture of an enchanted bow.)

"That foolhardy Demlos had good intentions in life. It is a shame that his spirit has not found peace and must be bound by his clan's totem to rest.  Still, the spying ravens and the drowned mage's guild apprentices make it fairly clear who is behind the awakening of these restless spirits the question is...Why? They are expensive undertakings and while mages can be spiteful it seems disrupting trade to and From Brix is a lot to go through for some personal grudge. Someone has much to gain from the interruption of trade and though I am curious, as long as they Fey wolves no longer disturb the natural balance it is not my concern. Thank you for your efforts return to me for council on you next visit."

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Reply #16 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 3:27pm

Aerandis thanks Nerisella for her advice and the gift of ironwood.  Although his task for her is done, he still feels the need to aid the companions and friends he has made during his adventuring.  The larger questions of their quest still nag at him: We Jas is involved (perhaps the main instigator), but how? [We always kill the people before they can rant about what's going on.]  What did the mage's guild do to offend anyone?  As well as the issues Nerisella brought up.  It seems as if a larger scheme is coming out from the party's investigations.  It is all somewhat confusing for Aerandis, who never had considered such grand schemes in the forests of his home.  He hopes that when the party comes together they can all figure out what is going on.

On the way back to meet the party, Aerandis considers the process by which one creates an enchanted bow.  He needs to carve the bow, needs particular components, and needs someone to perform the ritual.  Perhaps Dayereth would know how to do this?  Aerandis considers the shape of the wood and resolves to begin working on it during his resting periods.

Finally, Aerandis has felt his reflexes becoming sharper with the frequency of battle in the past few weeks.  As his friendship has grown with his companions, he has determined to do more in support of their defense whenever he can. [Skill: disruptive strike, interrupt an enemy blow on another party member]

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #17 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 9:51pm

((It will take sometime working on the staff to be able to carve it into a bow. A discount of 500 gp on the costs of the enchant magic item ritual is essential what you will get. Dayereth can learn the ritual at 4th I think and can make a bow of upto his level with that ritual. Once you decide what kind of bow you want, any component you come across that might be helpful will provide a discount to the enchanting costs. Dragon's blood might be relevant depending on the type of breath weapon etc..))

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #18 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 11:25pm

During the Journey to the well of souls Aerandis can sense a growing silence in natural spiritual activity. Since his experience with the druids he is able to discern and to commune with local spirits. As they get closer to the temple, natural spirits become less prevalent and those that appear seem agitated.  Another reality shows itself and Aerandis can see  the occasional forgotten soul traveling on pilgrimage to the well. After passing some choose to linger on the material plane and become Ancestral spirits, others simply cannot find the pathway to the afterlife. The Well of souls serves as a second chance for spirits to pass on into the realms of the gods. All spirits thrust into the well are pulled through the astral sea to face judgment by We Jas. Primal spirits have nothing to fear from this though the tortured souls in the dagger carried by Nadarresh may not wish to hear their destination and know which deity if any claims them. Any Eldarian  souls might not relish missing the opportunity to serve their clan as ancestral spirits.  Still there seems little choice, In time the dagger would covert the souls to necrotic energy consuming them. The well seems to be the only honorable alternative. Still the enchantment in the dagger would remain. Perhaps he could convince Dayereth to disenchant the item and use the Residuum  to defray the cost of enchanting his bow. Nadarresh might be willing to give up the item if  the repercussions of its function could be explained to him.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #19 - Dec 24th, 2009 at 8:39pm

While the the rest of the party is deciding on which route to travel to the Drakespire, Aerandis  thinks he should consult the spirits for advice. He steps off the trail as the party moves east back to Brix. He find a secluded glade with a stream and begins to slip into trance hopeful that the water spirit might impart something helpful Unfortunately not every comunion with the spirits brings useful information. Instead of contacting a river spirit Aerandis is confronted with a vision of a small fey-drake. This cat -sized dragon with butterfly wings floats in front of him. These fey-drakes spirits are sometimes the messengers for primal fey lords. Perhaps he has been following you since you have left Nerisella.

"You shouldn't ah opened the box. Long shadows hide too much.   Zazoo is waiting for you he knows your coming. You shouldn't ah opened it... The spire-lord  knows now. Maybe the watcher too. The imp might know.  You've  seen the cruel  imp? He tells the watcher everything. He ignores us though. He might warn zazoo. The imp doesn't know that zazoo already expects you... that's our secret and now yours.  The imp might not like zazoo. The watcher will not be happy with the imp... fairwinds.."

The trance ends and the vision fades from Aerandis's eyes.

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #20 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 2:31pm

Aerandis knows that he will have to move quickly to catch up with his companions, if only to make sure they don't die without his arrows to drive back their foes.  However, he appreciates having gained at least some knowledge during his spirit communion, confusing though as it may be.  The box must refer to what the amulet was contained in, he thinks.  The other party members may be able to make sense of the information.
Aerandis gathers his supplies, his quiver and bow and departs the glade.  He knows the general direction the party went, and in any case, how hard can it be to track the only humanoid in the land with dragon shaped feet?

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #21 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 8:00pm

Aerandis had remained in Brix for an extra half of a day after he realized that his current bow had developed a small crack (and could break explosively if used in battle).  The stave he had been carving into a new bow is almost finished so he decides to complete the work.  It is not yet enchanted, and he still hopes to convince Dayereth and Nadarresh to use the magical residue from the soul stealing dagger for his bow (two birds with one arrow, as they say). 

After nearly a day of travelling he crests a hill where there is a small clearing through the trees, allowing him to see for some distance.  He can see a river in the distance.  More alarming however is a swarming mass of creatures coming in his direction.  They're small creatures but there are very many of them, and they're very agitated. After a few minutes, Aerandis notices the glint of scales reflecting on the sunlight off of these creatures.  He watches them from afar as the swarm over a what he thinks is a deer, but what later proves to be a pile of bones.  From this evidence, it appears that his current tracking strategy is going to be upset.  Instead, he decides to angle north to avoid these creatures.  He will run straight into the river, and then he can easily follow the river down to the bridge and take up the trail again, hopefully meeting them on the following day.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #22 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 5:55pm

While somewhat uncomfortable in city dwelling the winter winds make the walls of the inn a fair argument for compromise.  Stories of caravan travelers bring news from afar.

One tale of interest is the story of a cowherd who learned from a Sheppard that a caravan master encountered a fire-cloud dragon in the Long wood. Apparently the beast some 80 hands tall had demanded tribute to pass the woods and then ate the oxen pulling the cart after tribute was dully paid!

The story brought a smile to Aerandis.  80 hands would almost have to  be an ancient  and Ancients would know better than to travel so close to Eytherash'ana and would not settle for Oxen in any case.  20 hands I could believe. Still the Athem’eliat (Green dragon) have not been far enough  west in the woods to harass caravans in a tree’s age.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2010 at 2:01am by hewhorocks »  

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #23 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 7:56pm

Aerandis notices that Naderresh's condition continues to worsen. He appears beyound his skill to help.

“Nerisella could likely help him.. though one does not ask favors of the Grove guards lightly. Still this fever will likely be the death of him unless he gets help. “

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #24 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 12:25am

Well, I enjoyed contemplating the technical detail (probably more Eberron-ish than Wyverndale-ish though).  So no actual acid bow exists, so I figure (if permitted) that the bow would duplicate the level 3 Flameburst +1 bow (Player's Handbook 1 pg. 234.), just substitute 'acid' for 'fire':

Daily, Minor Action. The next ranged basic attack you make with this weapon before the end of your turn becomes a burst 1 centered on the target. Use your normal attack bonus for the basic attack, but against Reflex. Instead of normal damage, each target hit takes ongoing 5 fire acid damage (save ends).
You pull a special arrow with an empty reservoir at its tip, and let it fill with acid.  Upon impact with the target, the reservoir bursts, spraying acid on nearby foes.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #25 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 6:44pm

I think Acid is a bit more exotic than fire damage so I would bump it up a level to LV4 item. Also note that as a daily its power use is tracked and counts against your Magic item dailies allotment (which may or may not be a concern for you.)

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #26 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 4:21am

While in the Feyfeilds, Aerandis asks Nerisella if she has heard anything about the rumors of the dragon.  Specifically, he wants to know if the dragon has approached the areas where his family lives, and how the fight may go.

"It is a bold dragon indeed that would venture that far into our territory if the rumors are true!  I wouldn't want to leave my family unaided if it was more than they could handle by themselves."

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #27 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 7:39pm

Nerisella looks blankly at Aerandis. There have always been dragons in the long wood and likely there will always be dragons there. I pay little attention to the forests north of the River Kelix though if indeed an ancient worm is restless and explanding its realm westward it may consume lands held by your kin. Still Treeshore (the pasture lands between the east and west branches of the longwood forest and through which runs the highroad between Hilderbrant and Holderness) would likely keep the forest drakes at bay if only because they prefer not to be so exposed.

Fret not. If There is little you could do in anycase."

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #28 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 6:58am

((Flashback))

Nerisella places her hand on on Aerandis's shoulder.

"I am sorry for your friend. Looking at his wounds he walked a harsh road in life. The plague is no pleasant way to die perhaps it is best that he rest now. "

She gauges his expression of doubt "I know..of course you wish to do what is right. I will attempt to recall his spirit though I will need many components, the first of which is a jar of spiritual essence. A friend of the grove Garum will have some on hand. As you visit him I will research what else is needed."

"Remember to commune with the spirits, their guidance can help you maintain balance."

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #29 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 4:00am

Aerandis looks at the magical stone with a confused expression.  He has limited understanding of the workings of magical items, but he still tries hard to give Dayereth an answer.

"This stone must have great power.  Maybe, I can think of two things that you might be able to do with a bow.  You could possibly make the bow much stronger, capable of tearing through the flesh of our enemies [wounding weapon +1, level 4, gives -1 saving throw for ongoing damage in general, and as a daily deals 5 ongoing damage].  Another thing I think you could be able to do would be to take the power of the sky, the lightning, and put it into the bow.  It is a sky rock after all. [lightning weapon, free action change damage type to lightning, daily deal 1d6 burst 2 around target].  Whichever one you feel that you have the strength, ability, and resources to do, I would appreciate."

*edit [I guess that means that the level 4 weapon sounds good, level 5 would be better possibly, but we might only have the resources for a level 4 item.  First weapon is adventurer's vault, second is player's handbook]
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2010 at 3:17am by yle-kay »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print