Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Game expectations (Read 1948 times)
Fuzzus
Esplanade
ShadowRun B

I roll twenties.

Metairie
Game expectations
Jul 31st, 2009 at 6:28am

One thing that's important to consider for players and GMs alike: what do you want to get out of your experience at the table? What do you expect from your game, your DM, your players? How do you want the game to go? Obviously, everyone can't get everything they want, but knowing what we're all looking for in a game will make the experience more enjoyable for all of us. That being said, here's what I'd like to get from our games:

I'm looking for a game where I can play a memorable character who's part of a memorable story. I want to have a distinct (but not fanatical) line between out of character and in character. I like gaming table chatter, but I want to focus on the game. I want a game that moves and flows; I don't like paging through rulebooks for minutiae -- I view the RAW (rules as written) more as guidelines than gospel. I want my players and my DM to be aware of the gaming social contract: put simply, don't be a jerk, and recognize that everyone's there to have fun. I prefer cinematic storytelling over realistic -- I want to be able to do cool stuff without it turning into an argument (or, Avandra forbid, a lecture) about physics. Within reason, of course -- I include myself when I say "don't be a jerk!" Smiley 

To sum it all up, I want everyone to play towards making an experience bigger than we could have done ourselves, and to have an absolute blast doing it.

Fuzzus fuzzus628 Fuzzus  
IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Re: Game expectations
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 4:03pm

Personally, I enjoy the role-playing aspect of role-playing games for establishing a solid storyline and creating a distinct setting for the campaign.  A crucial part of these games too, though, is the ruleset.  A major part of what attracts me to gaming is how a complex, intricate ruleset can lead to extremely interesting encounters.  Of course, a DM can always bend the rules to some extent to keep things fair and/or interesting.  Still, there's something very appealing about dice rolling and battle strategy.  It starts as soon as you form a party; the choice of class and race composition of a party is pretty much based on how well it can fare in battle.

Basically, I'd like to have fun with the role-playing but not get too carried away.  I've played in too many groups where the game pretty much becomes musings on what cool, out-there stuff could happen to the characters, which just devolves into aimless blabber.  That's why story and role-playing opportunities should be punctuated with opportunities to develop your character's skills, abilities, and purse with well-timed monster encounters and the occasional nail-biter or 'boss level.' (mini-bosses are cool, too)  Encounters are fun; they build experience, get you gold, keep you engaged with the dice and the miniatures, and they let you build your character into someone who can do even more bad ass stuff - in future encounters!

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 6:12pm

I'll add my two cents to this whole bit.  I'm not exactly tied to the rule-set, being out of it for so long, but I do appreciate a good structure or framework for the mechanics.  I enjoy role-playing any character I create, that's a significant part of the fun for me.  As for aimless blabber, I suppose I should say that I enjoy a paced game that has room for a little blabber but is also goal oriented; a fulfilling game has with it a sense of accomplishment or discovery.
I'm mostly hoping that folks here don't have completely divergent expectations for how a game should be run.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 7:28pm

Well, it seems like we all want to reach some kind of middle ground.  A good mixture of role-playing and mechanics allows us to use both our creative and strategic minds.  Snacks help, too.

Next question:  should we be responsible for bringing miniatures to use for play?  What kind of setup do you envision?  Are there any other materials we can/should bring, either for ourselves or just to improve the setup for everyone?

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Fuzzus
Esplanade
ShadowRun B

I roll twenties.

Metairie
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2009 at 12:52am

I concur with Beyonder; my preference is 50% roleplaying and 50% rollplaying, and I get the feeling we're all looking for about the same vibe in our game -- which is heartening! I'm curious to hear about the kind of game that (HeWho)Rocks wants to run, and see how we fit into his vision.

On the topic of physical essentials, here's what I can bring to the table:

-a somewhat weathered (but still quite serviceable) battlemat, and markers to use with it
-a good number of dice (d4-d20)
-a small box of mostly crappy figurines
-I will happily contribute to snacks or delivery food
-PHB, DMG, MM1
-the official DM screen with plenty of handy charts and figures (which Rocks is more than welcome to use)

My cleric is coming together in my head now and I'm pretty happy with the way it's working out -- I'm excited for the game!

Fuzzus fuzzus628 Fuzzus  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 7:09pm

All youll need is a mini for you and your pets painted poorly is much better than not painted at all, your own dice and phb/splat book for your own reference.

I generally like lots character development / story immersion. When I ran 3.5 we did usually 3 -4 encounter a session. I invaribly have maps of encounter areas. I am a wargamer so have a fairly large collection of miniatures and have bought / painted additional miniatures that sing to my creativity. I strive to write  arcs for a campaign and try to find ways for that to intereact with the arcs that players develop for their own characters. I find that more eposodic stuff works with modern life so dont like to have the epic dungeon delves where we contsantly have say "where'd the fighter go."

As far as encounters go, I enjoy rp a lot but have to warn you I am a tournament level chess player and former players of mine have been D&D miniatures national champions, I try to play dumb monsters dumb and smart monster a little less dumb. I love the concept of minions and tend to use them liberally to achieve a more cinematic approach to encounters. All that said I have little experience with 4th eddition so there may be a learning curve but I try not to let essoteric rules get in the way of a good time.

I'm thinking 8-8 as a good start date. Characters should be built via standard array.  Feel free to start a thread for your character and we can develop something together

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 7:40pm

I'm up for 8/8 to start.  I've been gathering supplies slowly; I received and have been reading the 4e pbh, but the dice got eaten by the New Orleans mail system (I might be able to get some in Metairie after work).  When I played 2e we never used miniatures, it is going to be an interesting adjustment for me.  Good for visualizing battle scenes I imagine.  Where would a person pick those up?

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 10:02pm

I'm down for 8/8, but I'd prefer the 9th if at all possible.  How long of a session do you anticipate?  Time and location?

I plan on playing a Half-Elf Sorcerer...  it's OK if we use classes from PHB2, right?

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Fuzzus
Esplanade
ShadowRun B

I roll twenties.

Metairie
Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 2:43am

8/8 or 8/9 work for me -- I'll have a character fleshed out by then!

What level/gold do we start at?

Fuzzus fuzzus628 Fuzzus  
IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 3:06am

Likewise, either day is fine for me, though I wouldn't want it to go later than 10 on Sunday.  I'll be bringing an elven ranger.

IP Logged

Fuzzus
Esplanade
ShadowRun B

I roll twenties.

Metairie
Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 12:34am

Update: 8/9 will work better for me, if we can manage it at all. I can work out 8/8 if necessary, but I'd really prefer Sunday. Where will we be playing?

Fuzzus fuzzus628 Fuzzus  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 11:29pm

well sunday may work for a while. Do we have space anywhere?

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #12 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 3:30pm

Well, this game seems a mighty slow one to start.  I'm out this weekend, but still interested.  Other folks interested should post character concepts though.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #13 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 5:41pm

Noted and agreed.  Sad lots of interest but little follow through.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #14 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 6:15pm

So far we have only one character:  Aerandis (Elven Ranger)

I try to do something a little more imersive than  generic striker, generic wizard, in a tavern get shanghai'ed into finding the blah, blah blah...

The first post in any character should just be a loose this is the kind of character I want to play, here is his name and this is something about him. Questions like starting gold etc are really dependant on the character concept.  If you want to play a street urchin turned adventurer then you would have a much different set of starting resources than say a character who is a member of the aristocracy. Also the types of adventures you would become involved in would likely be vastly different.

I guess what Im saying is you want to be a rich fop, write and post/background about the character being a rich fop and write a narative on getting him to the start point. I am much more interested in what a distinctive character brings to the table than any "in game advantage" that characters background might lend. I try to have a pretty sharp eye for plot potential and will invole characters backgrounds extensivly in adventure design. There will be ramifications to any advantage you might garner from background.

In otherwords if you dont like court intreuge, dont make an aristocrat, if you dont like shady characters from your past showing up dont make a streetwise thug. I try to make the PC's the "star" of their own story and weave thoses stories together in interesting ways.

If you want to play come up with acharacter concept and post a thread, last minute entries and "just showing up" probably wont make the game very enjoyable for you. Without any background documented you will quickly find that the story isnt about you and you may fell like an NPC. More to the point I wont have time to prepare for you and the group experience as a whole may suffer. Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print