Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The start point: Journal up your replies. Think this through with me, let me know your mind (Read 675 times)
hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
The start point: Journal up your replies. Think this through with me, let me know your mind
Aug 25th, 2009 at 2:16am

Farthard the grizzled mule driver stares at the boy for a minute and laughs.  He pokes the fire with his sword, an unkempt notched longsword  more rust stick than blade.

"We have no mercenaries or adventurers boy. Why would we risk our necks for coin that you neither have nor could likely raise?" Farthard lowers his voice to a grumble  "I swear these idiot country folk, its a wonder they all dont drown in the spring rains for all their sense."

The boy looks about the faces around the fire in a panic, "there are a few more fires perhaps someone will aid me" he thinks. His eyes fall upon  Aerandis,

"Ahh sir! Will you not assist me? Surely one as skilled as you would have nothing to fear from the hulking brute?"

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Re: The start point: Journal up your replies. Think this through with me, let me know your mind
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 3:09am

Aerandis pulls his hands away from the fire, where he had been hardening a green wood arrow shaft with the flames.  He moves his eyes from his work and fixes them upon the boy. 

"It is not a small thing to kill an ogre, even a drunk one at that.  However, I do agree that there is something unnatural about what you describe.  I think I would do well to put aside my own journey for a small time and see about this ogre of yours. Are there others here who might have the will or stomach to join me?"

He looks around at the faces of the others at their own fires,  a hint of amusement in his expression.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Re: The start point: Journal up your replies. Think this through with me, let me know your mind
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 6:11pm

Obvious relief comes over the face of the young man.  “Thank you… thank you.. “ His voice trails off and he looks nervously over his shoulder, as if on cue a chorus howls from the hills starts the young man to shudder.

“There are more wolves this year… they feel winter coming.” (Trained nature skill = realizing that wolves are signaling that they have cornered prey and are assembling. Some lone traveler or perhaps a deer is about to meet a grim fate.)

“Grim Jack may be to strong for even you friend elf will none of your companions aid you?  I know my purse seems small to be split still it is all I have.. Please good friends... I am desperate.”

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 6:46pm

A small dwarf, dusts off the dirt and joins the elf and boy by the fire, looking at each and giving a slight nod as he sits down.
"Time is I would have gone on my own to deal with this!  Now my business is this caravan of goods that MUST be delivered by the end of the week and I am charged with their safe passage, wolves be damned!  My friend would like to join you as well but he is too many winters for such a journey.  His son however would do well to join you and although he cooks quite well for us I think we can manage...Nadarresh!!  Come forth a warm yourself by this fire."

Despite being more than twice the dwarfs height and just as much wide, the large shadowed figure hopped lightly from the wagon and moved lightly towards the fire...

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 10:26pm

Speaking Dwarven the figure softly said, "Kestik!  You'd not starve if I wasn't cooking for you but you'd be hard pressed to have anything as good!"

"Young man.  How is it that no one has gone to see if the girl is even with this Ogre, Grim Jack and not run off to be on her own or with another?" he asked in common.

He walked slowly around the edge of the fire's light, moving in a slow circle, never letting the light touch more than the edge of his cloak.  Saying he was big was less offensive than saying he was gigantic yet his walk was even and almost methodical.  Each step was careful not to crush a leaf or twig but was smooth for one of his size.  His voice was young yet only because he was speaking softer than the dwarf.

The subtle creak of leathered armor preceeded each of his steps and keeping his hands in front of him, he stopped, turned slowly towards the boy.

"Were there witnesses to her disappearance or marks of her taking or perhaps you spoke of all this before Kistik called me?"

It was more a statement as if he decided the logical course was that they entire village would not have just gathered reward money if she had not been searched for in these past days.  He stood firmly in front of the others and continued speaking.

"By Mielikki I have sworn to help others who would seek to destroy nature and those who dwell in harmony in nature.  If this Grim Jack has strayed from a mere drunkard to something worse I will join you... (pointing to the Elf and speaking in Elvish) Friend to the forrest and by Bahamut, together we can see if we can lend them our help.  I am Nadarresh as Ketisk has said."

Lowering his head and pulling back his hood, he stepped forward into the light showing his obvious Draconic Features, the fine scales each shone bright Gold, with small patches of Silver flecks on some of the scales.  His chest and arms, covered by the leather he wore did little to hide the fine three talons of his hands.

"I'd like to help you find the lady and see if this Ogre is the cause or not.  Bahamut has put you in my path it would seem!"  He smiled and extended his hand to the elf...

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 4:29am

A haggard, skinny man made a sound in the leaves from behind two townspeople.  He leaned forward on his staff, showing his teeth as he struggled to pull himself forward.  He was frail, starving, and addled by his hunger.  He trembled at first, but gained composure.  He spoke:

"Grim Jack, you say?  Causing trouble..." 

He paused and stared forward for a moment.  He resumed:

"Your people seem kind - naive, but with a gentle nature that deserves pity.  Mercy...  mercy.  Well, you will have your mercy.  If these two men here are as strong as they appear to be, and I join them as a third, I do believe that we can quash this ogre threat and ease your heart with the return of your lover.  Our kingdom is becoming overrun by these beasts, these evil beasts and their unnatural intentions.  This odious ogre is obviously up to something sinister, and he must be... stopped."

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 6:02am

Another large figure approaches the circle of firelight, and stands where he can be seen.  He clutches a heavy-looking, sheathed, two-handed sword in one meaty hand.  Despite the current lack of sunlight, he wears a broad-brimmed hat low over his face.  He politely lifts his hat and bows slightly towards the boy and those near him.  The firelight illuminates his face for a second before he replaces it on his head: a scarred, beaten-up half-orc with a chaotic-looking black beard.

He clears his throat and says in a low voice,  "If you gentlemen wouldn't mind, I'd be happy to help out with this."  He stands there, awaiting the boy's answer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print