Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What's an enemy? (Read 1367 times)
Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

What's an enemy?
Jun 25th, 2008 at 12:14am

Force Orb, page 159

You throw a force ball at someone up to 20 away.  Its an encounter power.

It says:

Secondary Target:  Each enemy adjacent to the primary target.

Code:
O X
 Y O

X is my target.  O and O are buddies in my party.  Y is a buddy of X.

So does that mean I can throw the ball at X and the secondary hits Y but not my buddies?  Can I choose to make it hit one of my buddies?

IP Logged

david
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot

one bad dude, not two

harahan, la
Re: What's an enemy?
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 12:52am

i would interpret it as hitting only your enemies, though i guess if you wanted to hit your buddy you could. it doesn't say all adjacent creatures, just enemies though, so you'd have to choose which buddies, if any, to friendly fire upon.

WWW woody_two_soul lechgame  
IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 2:24am

I wouldn't call it "friendly fire", I would call it ass hole fire.

Yeah I am figuring 4.0 has a huge streak of the cartoon in it, I am 99% sure it will only hit enemies. It does not really make any kind of sense but there you have it. It is like shooting threw 5 of your allies and not have even a chance to hit one of them, or having any difficulty. It sure does make the game smooth though.

IP Logged

Jaeger
Townfolk

west bank
Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 3:04am

The caster can designate who he considers to be an enemy when this spell is cast.  This is a spell with an area effect that gives you a degree of control over who or what (any attack can target an object, subject to the dm's discretion) is effected by the spell.

Not all spells work that way.  Acid Arrow and Freezing Cloud damage any creature in the area, not just designated enemies.  The Force Orb is supposed to function a bit more like magic missile used to in that it's magically accurate.

You don't have a chance to hit your friends when firing a normal ranged attack into a melee anymore either.  It was kind of rediculous in 3.X being ten feet away from a foe, practically point blank, and having a good chance of hitting your friend five feet away on the other side instead of the person you're shooting an arrow at.  Yeah, it might happen to someone in real life that has never been trained with a bow... but as one game developer said, "if we wanted to make the game realistic, the first thing we would do is throw out levels two through twenty..."

That makes sense to me.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 3:55am

Coming from someone who is trained with a composite recurve, and a compound bow, and uses that training to actually kill living things that move and run away let me suggest that it is EXTREMELY likely to hit someone in front of someone else, especially if they are in chaotic melee combat.

I just had to say that before someone tries to completely distort all sense.

"It was kind of rediculous in 3.X being ten feet away from a foe" Not in the slightest, especially if they are fighting. Try it. I have a bow in the house, pull it back and tell me how easy you think it would be to hit someone.

"if we wanted to make the game realistic, the first thing we would do is throw out levels two through twenty..."

Realistic? We have gone from 3.x which was trying to be realistic, to 4.0 which does not try in the  slightest to be. Some things in 4.0 push the boarders of even make believe. I like 4.0 smoothness and balance but I would have to roll back a bit of it to be able feel comfortable with it. When you have level 1s with bows and swords, you are not yet in to 6-20 levels but it already feels like it. For me there is only so much reality I can suspend unit things start getting stupid.

IP Logged

Jaeger
Townfolk

west bank
Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 4:31am

I think heroic fantasy should feel like fantasy in other media (books, movies).  If a rule makes the game more "realistic" in real life but less realistic for the genre, then I don't care for the rule. 

The first rule in DND 4th(PHB 11) is "Simple rules, many exceptions."  If it would be dramatically appropriate and realistic for an ally to be potentially hit by a stray arrow, then it could happen.  After all, this is still a role-playing game and not a video game.  Nothing is inherently programmed into the rules to prevent exceptions.

Regardless of design, a role playing game is always a game and not real.  Finding the right measure of realism vs. simplicity and drama is difficult when every person in the group has a different idea of how realistic the game should be.  I think the best a DM can do is be as consistent in his interpretations as possible, but flexible enough to change a ruling if necessary to suit the group.

IP Logged

david
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot

one bad dude, not two

harahan, la
Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 11:31am

the DM should not change things to suit the group. he should make things happen that amuse him, group be damned. if it would be funny for the arrow to hit the other ally instead of the enemy, so be it. if the enemy is full of poisonous gas released by piercing attacks, then the arrow should hit him even if it is not aimed his way and the shooter rolls badly anyhow. the DM should always be amused, the players are just there to facilitate this. it is a megalomaniacal system built for only one person's enjoyment; remember that and no one will be hurt.

as for area effects in magic hitting who and what the caster wants when he wants subject to the size of the spell, well, i figure it is magic, not a flamethrower, so the caster should have control over how it shapes up and whatnot. whatnot. whatnot. whatnot.

whatnot.

remember this as well my children: if we wanted to play reality that badly we'd go to work everyday and pay bills and discuss politics and gas prices and call that an amusing time. but let's face it, reality isn't fun, so we make

stuff up and call it a game and don't balance our checkbooks while doing that. accounting isn't fun to roleplay any more than going to some boring job and dealing with boring coworkers.

and whatnot.

WWW woody_two_soul lechgame  
IP Logged

Admin account
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

maintenance account
Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 12:27pm

What nots deserve their own thread:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2008 at 3:48pm by Admin account »  

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Jaeger
Townfolk

west bank
Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 9:38pm

aww... that takes the joke completely out of context.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print