Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
playing yet? (Read 1002 times)
david
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot

one bad dude, not two

harahan, la
playing yet?
Jun 13th, 2008 at 11:37am

has anyone actually tried 4th yet? or are we all sitting on our books waiting for the best time to strike? i'm interested in hearing what others think. here are a few of my preliminary thoughts, sans actual playing experience:

-there are plenty of editing mistakes in the book. this means that wizards will release a second version, perhaps 4.5 or some crap like that, and rake in more cash, just to cover their mistakes.

-i like the way wizards work, at least on paper. it seems nice that they can cast magic missiles at will, more than just 4-6 times per day.

-i'm not sure if i got multiclassing right, but it seems that instead of really taking another class you just pick a feat and are all of the sudden multiclassed. a rogue with high charisma and dexterity can take the warlock multiclass feat, select eyebite as his warlock power, and have sly flourish as a rogue ability, and then hit the enemy with eyebite, damaging him, turning invisible and gaining combat advantage, and then hit with sly flourish as a sneak attack, dealing more damage, all at first level. if the rogue in question had 16s for cha and dex, and a short sword, his max damage in that two turn period would be 33. and, if you have a strength modifier and are a brutal rogue, add that on to the sneak attack. crazy, i say, but interesting.

-there seems to be no grappling rules, nor nonlethal damage, nor physical damage types (so a black pudding can be hurt by a sword now?)

i'm sure there are other interesting nuances, but i want to hear others' thoughts before i comment/complain too much more.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2008 at 8:23pm by david »  
WWW woody_two_soul lechgame  
IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Re: playing yet?
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 2:34pm

My copy should arrive tommorow but I haven't spent much time on my GURPS books either.  Actually, I've done nothing.  The new job is sucking up my creative energy and in my spare time I've been blowing things up.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 2:55am

wow David that sounds horrible. haha

Yeah Liam, can you feel the suck.. I have been REALLY feeling the suck. Friday was a bad day for me.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 3:18am

I'm enjoying the task I am doing, its just using up a lot of my concentration and focus.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 3:22am

My D&D 4.0 showed up today... so do I read it tonight or work on the ship?

IP Logged

david
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot

one bad dude, not two

harahan, la
Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 3:54am

probably the ship since no one else is ready to try 4th edition yet for whatever reason, and we have been trying to get the GURPS game going for a few weeks now anyhow. 4th isn't going anywhere, it will be played some other time.

WWW woody_two_soul lechgame  
IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 4:58am

Well I am excited to play gurps, I think there is a lot of potential for this kind of game.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print