Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: DnD 4th (Read 2852 times)
Karloff
Townfolk

I Love YaBB 2!

Westbank (Harvey)
Re: DnD 4th
Mar 19th, 2008 at 8:02pm

Quote:
It's more of a foaming-mouthed masturbatory screed.

I agree, thats what made it funny, but still the rant from Metrolang has some truth about it.

I personally have not seen the system, but I would certainly give it a detailed read when it comes available.

karloff_klexion  
IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 5:47pm

Red Priest wrote on Mar 19th, 2008 at 5:35pm:
That said, whereas I'm very disappointed in the direction taken by 3.5, I'm at least interested in what 4e has to show.  As I said, I'm just going to anti-mantra the name Dungeons & Dragons out of the way, and just experience 4e as some brand new RPG and allow it to stand or fall on its own (de)merits.

Agreed.  D&D 3.0/3.5 is not D&D.  Neither is 4.0.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 7:00pm

Not agreed.

The games are different and stress different aspects over others.  Original D&D was very much like the D&D cartoon.  You had very general roles that a person fell into and while a particular character can be different, characters could be identified as one of the standard classes.

2.0 is D&D on sterioids.  Its bigger, its badder, and it should be illegal.  It was just too much of the same.  It added options for people who wanted more than the simple original D&D but you ended up with someone being more powerful simply because he spent more on the books.

3.5 is a more 'realistic' version of D&D.  They tried to come up with a physics and stick too it.  So monters are like characters and have feats and levels.  Some would say it removes the mystery but it makes for a more realistic game.  You don't end up with monsters who have powers that are unbalanced with the rest of its features.  That would make them too predictable but 3.5 is big enough that you can't learn it all.  And that's what I like most about 3.5.  A player can make a character using a set of random books and it can be hard to guess what he is.  At the same time, that character isn't unbalanced compared to other characters who didn't use that new or obscure book.  The only advantage the unusual character has is in his mystery, for the most part.  I am sure there are exceptions but I like the 'realism' of encountering a character and not being sure of all he can do because there are so many options while maintaining some sort of balance.

It's a style preference.  Its all D&D.  It may not be your dad's D&D, but its still D&D.   From what I have seen 4.0 will start off a lot more like old D&D so you might like it more.  In the end though, it will move in the direction of 3.0 because the majority of players will demand it... that is, if it does well enough that people spend money on it and it keeps going.

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 8:23pm

It's not enough to say that 3.5 is D&D just because it's named D&D.  The original D&D was a game of archetypes, not skills.  It was also rules-lite by design, because the original creators expected each and every referee to adjudicate their own game uniquely.

For the most part, there are three types of fantasy RPGs.  Archetype-based, skills-based and hybrid.

The original D&D (in fact, the  original RPG) is the best example of a completely archetype-based game.  There were two basic characters, the fighting-man and the magic-user.  The cleric was a sub-type of the magic-user and the thief didn't even exist until the first supplement.  There were no skills involved whatsoever.  You rolled to hit, cast a spell or explained exactly to the referee what you were doing instead.  Looking for traps? Okay, how?  There's no roll to make to simply locate the trap, the player is expected to describe what's transpiring so that the ref can resolve the situation.

Runequest is one of the best examples of a skills-based game.  There are no particular archetypes followed, only a list of skills that players buy up for their characters.  As they progress through a campaign, characters don't rise in level, but they increase their skills at the players' discretion.  I'm not referring to the new Mongoose RQ, but RQ published by Chaosium and later Avalon Hill.  Mongoose morphed RQ into a hybrid game.  See next, for hybrid games.

The third type of RPG, the hybrid, is a class-based game with heavy skill involvement, and it is best represented by ICE's Rolemaster game.  In these games, you often have character classes: warrior, wizard, priest, thief,  monk, etc, but you also have a list of skills, and sometimes gifts, feats or abilities, from which to choose.  As is often the case in hybrid games, a particular class may purchase some skills at a reduced cost, but other skills may cost a bit more than the norm.  The mechanics for this vary from game to game.

Really, 3.5, and likely the upcoming 4.0, has much more in common with hybrids, particularly Rolemaster, than it does with the purely archetypal D&D.  The newest editions of the games labeled Dungeons and Dragon possesses both classes and skills, and Rolemaster was one of the first games to popularize this marriage back in the very early '80s.  Interestingly, Mr Cook, one of the biggest mover and shakers for D&D 3.0 worked first for ICE (late 80's or early '90s I think?) before ever working for TSR/WoTC.

A good look at the rules for OD&D/AD&D, Runequest and Rolemaster, should be enough show that 3.5 is not Dungeons & Dragons, because it has many, many more points in common with Rolemaster than it does with O/AD&D.  Sure, it's Dungeons & Dragons in name, but by rules genealogy, it's got way, way more in common with Rolemaster the D&D.

I agree, that if 4.0 does not deliver what the majority of 3.5 gamers want, and Hasbro wants to keep the 3.5 players and not lose them to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, then they'll have to do some type of reverse engineering on 4.0 and release expensive supplement after expensive supplement to do so.  Wait. Now there's a marketing idea.  Wink

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 9:03pm

I think you just said the same thing I said except that you think 3.5 is not D&D because its a hybrid and not an archtype based game.   I said 3.5 is D&D except its a hybrid and not archtype based.  The question is, what is D&D?  I think its the flavor.  Its not just fantasy, its Dungeons, Dragons (sic), rolling d20s to hit and d6-d12 for damage, levels and hit points and mind flayers and other flavor elements.  I don't think Spelljammer is D&D but Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms are (were?).  Its hard to pinpoint what D&D is vs. other fantasy games.

For a lot of people the archtype is an important part of that.  Those are the people who don't like 3.5.  I much prefer GURPS as a system.  I think its rediculous that a first level thief can easily learn to pick pockets but it costs a fighter more, even a 10th level fighter, to learn the same skill.  The lack of some sort of realism there just irks me.

So, I think 3.5 is not only D&D its a much better D&D.  Some will think any hybrid skill/class system is not D&D.  Its a matter of personal preference and opinion and no amount of debate is going to change anyone's mind.  1.0 people like emacs and 3.5 people like vi.  1.0 people like Hillary and 3.5 people like Obama.   Debate doesn't matter.

But in the end my 3.5 says D&D on it so you may not like it but its D&D.  That's the only objective standard.

IP Logged

david
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot

one bad dude, not two

harahan, la
Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 10:19pm

well, for my opinion, i look forward to the 4th edition described in the videos WotC put out a while back, describing the game as more streamlined and whatnot, and basically a new version of the same game-name (like the final fantasy series up to about ff9; they were all different, but still final fantasy). anyhow, the biggest plus i'm looking forward to is the included program for online play since i know folks in different parts of the US that can play online, but prefer tabletop to PBEM or PbP. i don't know how much i like it though yet as i haven't played it. there are demos and tests, etc., coming to the NOLA area in may, according to WotC website, and the books are to be released in june. i'll try to be there for the demos, see what it is all about, and then perhaps be there to get my copies of the core rules and rock on. there's my two coppers.

WWW woody_two_soul lechgame  
IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

settle for lies.

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 10:30pm

Liam wrote on Mar 24th, 2008 at 9:03pm:
I think you just said the same thing I said except that you think 3.5 is not D&D because its a hybrid and not an archtype based game.   I said 3.5 is D&D except its a hybrid and not archtype based.  The question is, what is D&D?  I think its the flavor.  Its not just fantasy, its Dungeons, Dragons (sic), rolling d20s to hit and d6-d12 for damage, levels and hit points and mind flayers and other flavor elements.  I don't think Spelljammer is D&D but Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms are (were?).  Its hard to pinpoint what D&D is vs. other fantasy games.

For a lot of people the archtype is an important part of that.  Those are the people who don't like 3.5.  I much prefer GURPS as a system.  I think its rediculous that a first level thief can easily learn to pick pockets but it costs a fighter more, even a 10th level fighter, to learn the same skill.  The lack of some sort of realism there just irks me.

So, I think 3.5 is not only D&D its a much better D&D.  Some will think any hybrid skill/class system is not D&D.  Its a matter of personal preference and opinion and no amount of debate is going to change anyone's mind.  1.0 people like emacs and 3.5 people like vi.  1.0 people like Hillary and 3.5 people like Obama.   Debate doesn't matter.

But in the end my 3.5 says D&D on it so you may not like it but its D&D.  That's the only objective standard.

I'm not saying that any game is better or worse than another.  I'm just saying that 3.5 is not the same type of game as OD&D.  Monopoly is a board game and so is Chinese checkers, but just because they're both games played on a board doesn't make them the same game, and being different types of board games doesn't make one any better than the other.  Just because games share dragons, elves, mind flayers and 10' corridors doesn't mean that they're the same game either.  I can run any fantasy-based game with those tropes (and in fact, I have), but that's not going to make them D&D.  Runequest certainly isn't D&D.

I'd hold that for games to be related, they should share a certain rule set and philosophy, and frankly, OD&D and 3.5 share neither.  Does it make one any better than the other?  Nope, that's just personal taste.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 12:18am

Quote:
I'd hold that for games to be related, they should share a certain rule set and philosophy, and frankly, OD&D and 3.5 share neither.  Does it make one any better than the other?  Nope, that's just personal taste.

I am quite sure that this statement is fundamentally false. Looking back at playing all the games, and watching the progression and "improvement" within each addiction, I still see plenty of things that stay true in heart to the original extremely flawed editions.

Seeing that you have this opinion, you might need me to explain my stance. I wish I had the time, all i can say is that I feel the classes, combat, gods, and sphere magics give me a strong feeling of a beautiful refinement and re-explanation of old and still predominate philosophies.

IP Logged

Karloff
Townfolk

I Love YaBB 2!

Westbank (Harvey)
Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 5:20am

Well regardless of opinion all gaming system share the same philosophy, not to mention all are flawed, the rules they create are guildlines, nothing more, and nothing less. Some systems are easy to work with and others are not. It is the DM's job to balance it for the players, for the sake of torture or fun. Whichever comes first.

All in all its for roleplaying and to escape into another world. Most of you know my stand on 3.5, I don't believe it was balanced enough for play, period. Everything they took into 3.5, the majority comes from 2nd edition AD&D, and I have the books to prove it.

Another small point I'll make is the fact the gods in 3.5 wasn't easier or more streamline, because when wizards of the sword coast released neverwinter nights 2, 3.5 was out for more then 3 years, however they still reverted to used all AD&D gods. That in itself says that AD&D isn't dead. There is nothing ancient or unloved about it.

I personally think that 4.0 is a ploy for people to spend more money, but hey I'm a trooper I'll give it a looksie over. However I make no promises.

Karloff

karloff_klexion  
IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

settle for lies.

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 8:39pm

Quote:
Quote:

I am quite sure that this statement is fundamentally false. Looking back at playing all the games, and watching the progression and "improvement" within each addiction, I still see plenty of things that stay true in heart to the original extremely flawed editions.

Seeing that you have this opinion, you might need me to explain my stance. I wish I had the time, all i can say is that I feel the classes, combat, gods, and sphere magics give me a strong feeling of a beautiful refinement and re-explanation of old and still predominate philosophies.

Yes, I would need an explanation, because I've read all the rulebooks as well, and come to the conclusion that 3.5 has more in common with Rolemaster than it does with OD&D.  That's not to say that 3.5 and OD&D don't share anything at all in common, because, of course they do.  They're both fantasy games, they both possess classes and both systems demonstrate success by having characters progress in level.  That doesn't make 3.5 a direct descendant of OD&D.  Rolemaster does all these things as well, and it also adds skills and talents.  3.x, likely via Mr Cook, picked up this gaming paradigm of skills and feats (feats = talents). OD&D has no skills and no feats, only classes and levels.  I've played OD&D, AD&D, 3.5 and Rolemaster (and many other games) and 3.5 gaming sessions play a lot more like Rolemaster than they do OD&D.

Do OD&D and 3.5 have some things in common?  Of course, but 3.5 has more in common with Rolemaster than OD&D.  That relates 3.5 closer to Rolemaster than OD&D.  That's my point.  If someone can demonstrably disprove that, then I'm all ears.  Umm .. make that eyes.  Wink  Unless of course you'll be at Coastcon, then we can discuss gaming philosophy, but only after we play a game of something together.  Smiley

One could take the stance that all fantasy RPGs are offspring of OD&D (maybe, maybe not), but I'd be hard to convince that they were built on the same gaming principles (other than the obvious point to have fun!). There's more than one way to skin a Weasel, Giant.

IP Logged

Admin account
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

maintenance account
Reply #10 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 5:49am

Off topic replies have been moved to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print