Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Other books (Read 1408 times)
Nexi
Stark player
oldEsplanade

I Love YaBB 2!

Other books
Aug 6th, 2007 at 9:57pm

Of course I am sad that the Harry Potter series is done... for now.   

Has anyone read the Discworld series by Terry Pratchet?  Opinions?  I read the first two in the series years ago... thinking about going back to it.  I heard there were 20+ books in the set though. 

How about the Wheel of Time series?

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Other books
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 1:59am

I am sad about Harry to. But i it is good that is all done and wrapped up neat.

I have never read disk world, what is it like?

And i read only the first chapter of Wheel of time. I was never able to get into the plot much, because i felt the writing was horribly clichéd and childish so I put it down almost immediately. Take into account most people do not agree with me, so you might enjoy them a lot. They are very popular.

One series that I enjoyed a lot in the sci fiction genre was Ring World, by Larry Niven.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If you like engineering, and physics, and really really cool stuff this is a good book to spend sometime on. Reading the into at wiki would give you a good idea of what it is like.

IP Logged

Nexi
Stark player
oldEsplanade

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 1:41pm

Well, thanks for the info on the other series.  I will look into the Ring World series.  Disc World, as I have read it, sounds like a hilariously goofed up D&D game that was being played and someone decided to turn the game into a written story.... giving the characters depth and humor.  It makes little quirky comments in there that gamers would get.  It is set in a time much like the realms of D&D... but in a new world.  I find it quite funny.   Like I said, I read book one and two previously... but I'm re-reading them now as I attempt to move a little further in the series.  Not many people that I know of have heard of them, but those that have, enjoy them.   

I heard of an interesting web site yesterday.  It is called bookmooch.com.  What it is, is people swapping books over the net.  If you have a book you can give away, you post it up there.  If someone asks for it and you send it to them... you get a point.  If someone has a book you want and they send it to you it costs a point.. the point system isn't money or anything... it only exists to keep track of you giving and getting, etc.... the only thing that is ever paid is if you send a book to someone, you have to pay the shipping and handling ($2.00+)  but if someone sends one to you they are paying the shipping and hanlding.  I haven't looked at it yet... but it sounded interesting just the same.

IP Logged

Kinthar
Stark player
Staff
oldEsplanade

|:

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 2:33pm

I loaned my 12-15 disc world books to my boss.  When he is done you can borrow them if you can keep the cat hair off them.  (:}

I've heard good things about ring world too.  I just don't have the time to read much given all the other hobbies.

I have a HUGE collection of random sci fi/fantasy and I'm cheaper than bookmooch.   If you want to borrow a few books at at time let me know.

IP Logged

Nexi
Stark player
oldEsplanade

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 1:43pm

Cool.  Thanks.  I do have the first seven books in the disc world series that I picked up at a used book store for about a quarter a piece about 2 years ago... but I've only read the first two.  I'm re-reading the first one now. 

I think it is somewhat hilarious.  What did you think of them?

I'm not planning to use bookmooch as the be all source... but just as another resource.  I tend to want to keep the books that I really like, as I assume you probably do... and that is why you offered to lend them to me vice give them to me out of the generous kindness of your heart.  Smiley  J/K 

The only books I plan to give away are the crappy ones that I have no interest in but have landed in my lap via family or friends or past organization yard sales, etc.  I figure give away something I will never read for the $2.00 shipping cost and get something for free that I will keep probably forever.

have a good morning all.

IP Logged

Kinthar
Stark player
Staff
oldEsplanade

|:

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 5:43pm

I tend to keep everything.

IP Logged

humidcityloki
Townfolk

I Love YaBB 2!

New Orleans, LA
Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 12:30am

Discworld and Ringworld are both excellent and I highly advise them. Wheel of Time always struck me a regurgititated crap, much like Dragonlance was. All sterotype and not much else.

I would say that the Dream Park books are not nly a good read, but also a great meta take on gaming itself.

For historically based fantasy go for Judith Tarr across the board.

Loki&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Nexi
Stark player
oldEsplanade

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 2:08pm

Hmm... nice info.  I hadn't tried the other two you mentioned... but will certainly look into it.  Thanks.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 4:15pm

I read all of Ring world and I liked it. I do not know what disc world is about.

I tried to read wheel of time, but the writing sounded horrible to me, so i had to put it down.

I am reading R. S. Salvidor Right now. It is entertaining.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print