Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Steampunk (Read 824 times)
Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Steampunk
Nov 28th, 2010 at 4:18pm

Is there a dedicated RPG for the steampunk genre? I know there are hybrids everywhere, but I have not been able to find something that is exclusively Victorian Sci-Fi... I have opted to do a game in FATE since I like it so much, but I still would like to know what is out there.

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Re: Steampunk
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 6:42pm

Well Im sure there are prepackaged systems or setting adaptions. Iron heroes comes to mind. But its often easier to work with a rules system you are comfortable and adapt that to a setting rather than learn a whole new rules system which may or may not conform to your vision of the genre.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 8:22pm

I doubt there is a steam punk system, but that does not mean you can not play a steam punk game.

I think the thing that is unique about steam punk is how mechanics work. It is a style. The style is visually pleasing, but as a roleplaying game the aesthetics of steam punk do not come through. From what I understand about steam punk there is no.. "personality" to it, other then retro brass.

I would suggest using a modern adaptable system like GURPS or D20, and ADDING IN the steam punk aspects you think fit the genre. Just change the names of things, or change the explanation of how something works.

If you were ever to find a dedicated steam punk system, I think it would consist more of a list of unique items then anything else.

IP Logged

michael
MGG

new orleans
Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 11:08pm

Space:1889?

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2010 at 7:47pm

I did find out about Space:1889 while looking on the web. Seems cool, but I don't think I will use it. I do think that steampunk is more definable than retro brass tho...

I do think I will use a system I am comfortable with and just build the world around that. It's almost turning into a history research paper, lol! I don't know about everyone else, but I'm getting kinda sick of elves and dragons... and while everyone thinks the steampunk flavors that eberron had is cool, it just turned me off more. Thanks for the help Smiley

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2010 at 9:21pm

Ahh not iron heroes...iron kingdoms

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

But as its been said if you have the setting, Gurps, Hero, or any number of rules systems and be retro-fitted (hah theres a phun in there somewhere) to make it happen for you.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print