Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A neat little twist on home-brewed campaigns (Read 464 times)
Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
A neat little twist on home-brewed campaigns
Nov 22nd, 2010 at 8:26pm

This was an idea that myself and some friends used back in high school after taking a creative writing course. In the class we were required to start a story writing one to two paragraphs, then pass it back to the next person who did the same after reading the previous material. Each person read and then added to the paper. At the end of the exercise the story was read to the class to see how it developed and where it had led. There were no restrictions on each writer other than no vulgarity (we were in school). Needless to say, it turned out outrageous and hilarious.

My buddies and I loved home-brewed games more than any campaign setting. We applied this exercise to one such game. Each week a different person in our group would DM the game, writing his adventure and building off of the material that had come before. That person's character would either be writen out for that session, or played by another player. This prevented people from giving an advantage to their own character. And just like the story in class, our adventures were wild and crazy. I highly recommend this round robin style for everyone, especially for those groups that have people that like playing and GMing, or want to give either a try. It's loads of laughs and tons of fun.

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Re: A neat little twist on home-brewed campaigns
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2010 at 5:03am

This sounds like a great temporary fun sort of thing. It will never accomplish some valuable points of long stable campaigns, but it does not mean to.

I would think this would be a great starter setup for new tables. If you ever start playing with a new group of people, and a few of the players would not mind DMing, you can do this for a few months for the players to see everyones style, and decide what kind of DM they want to start out with.

You could do a few different variations like two or three evenings per DM (to complete at least one arch), or you could shift dual DMs, meaning every day you have two DMs, and you lose one and gain another every evening. Some people have issues with dual DMing, but I never have, and it is an easy way to deal with tables of 6 or more people.

And if I was ever to play at a table where I would have to seriously consider one of the players being overly endowing to their own character, I would not be sticking around for long. I don't play with children.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print