Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New rules system (Read 690 times)
shawnmtoups
Townfolk

Kenner
New rules system
Nov 20th, 2010 at 1:13am

I am looking for a "new" rules system.  Something that lends itself well to both fantasy and modern settings.  Preferably something I wouldn't have to spend a ton of money on.  I've read up on d20 modern, on it doesn't really catch me.  Any suggestions?

shawnmtoups nightsonsmt  
IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Re: New rules system
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2010 at 4:53am

I've been reading over Savage Worlds and Basic Role-Playing, both are universal systems that are nowhere near as crunchy as GURPS or Hero.  I'm really digging both systems and trying to get something going with my group when the current GM takes a break, just to try it and see how it goes. 

Savage World seems to default to a high action style game but the GM can make some modifications to make the game a bit grittier.  This one is really cheap to check out at $10 for the core rule book.  It has all the rules you need and various settings may have special rules and extra Edges, Hindrances, and Skills.
Test Drive rules can be found at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
YouTube Review:Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

BRP is more on the gritty side, dying is fairly easy so it encourages players to think outside the box a little with confrontations (there is an optional rule that will give the PCs more HPs than the standard way, this could be used for more action or dungeon crawl type games).  Percentile based skill system.  I really like the way this is handled because the character has an opportunity to advance based on what they learned by *using* the skills they have.  There are the standard ruleset and a variety of optional rules to modify certain aspects of the game.
This is the same core ruleset that is used in Call of Cthulhu, the original RuneQuest games, Stormbringer, ElfQuest, etc. This book runs around $40 and weighs in at about 400 pages.
A free BRP Quick-Start can be found at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
YouTube Review:Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I figure it would be easier to point you to the free test rules for you to get a feel for the systems than try to explain the rules in to much detail. The thing to keep in mind with both of these core books is that they do not include any setting, just the rules that are needed.

IP Logged

shawnmtoups
Townfolk

Kenner
Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 2:34pm

I already have settings in mind.  I'm just looking for a system that will work for both.  And one of them already has a rules system for it, but the company that produced it went out of business several years ago.  Amazon has the books, but it would cost me close to 200 for just the basic stuff.  Besides it would be bad to have a generic system sitting in my back pocket.

shawnmtoups nightsonsmt  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 5:43pm

you could get an older edition of the Hero system pretty cheap. Theres a ton of stuff out there for it. It works fairly well with anything but it can be a chore to run.

Still settings are usually the hard part. If you have a setting in mind adapting the rule set is a matter of taste.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 2:39pm

I have recently been encouraging people to take a look at FATE. It is more narrative driven, with little "crunch" unless you opt in the rules for such. But it is very versitile.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It is free to download on the open gaming license, and is very light (about 90 pages). I am running a steampunk setting using the FATE system. And I have created an Avatar: The Last Airbender setting using FATE (the cartoon series, not that horrible POS movie).

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print