Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Chaosium's BRP system? (Read 3404 times)
Kebb
Keeberon
Big Dog
MGG
JustSayNo

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Re: Chaosium's BRP system?
Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 5:45pm

Cool. Thanks for the thoughts. Someone said in a different thread that they loved just sitting and reading different rule systems, I'm kinda like that but I love reading different settings. I will forgive a really horrible system if the setting os really cool and fleshed out. I wanna read the runequest setting primarily because a lot of people like it and it's a game I've never read before.

That being said, did anyone but me completely love the Elric setting? I don't think moorcock is that great of a writer but I read a couple of the novels then played the d20 version of the game. Awesome.

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #16 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 6:42pm

I ran a couple sessions of Stormbringer 1st ed back in mid 80's and I still have the book in storage.  I like the setting itself although I have not read much in the way of the stories.  I have read a few and I liked them well enough.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #17 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 6:49pm

I think that was me that said he enjoyed sitting and reading different rule systems.  It's true!  Though FWIW, I do enjoy a handful of campaign settings - Dark Sun and Eberron, in particular.

I've always heard Elric/Stormbringer described as a classic.  Another one that I've heard is great is Wilderlands of High Fantasy, though I've never played it myself. 

I'll have to check out some of the Elric fiction - where should I start?

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Kebb
Keeberon
Big Dog
MGG
JustSayNo

me.

Reply #18 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 7:28pm

Many might hate me for saying this but I think Michael Moorcock is a terrible author when it comes to prose.  He has some fantastic ideas and great story lines (Elric is probably the best in my opinion), I just never could get in to his way of writing.

In regards to Elric, looking at Amazon.com right now, the place to start would be The Elric Saga, Part 1, which is the first three or four books put together.  If you know of a really good second hand store, Elric of Melnibone is the first book in the series I think.  There was a progression of novels following a set timeline, then Moorcock went back and wrote some other ones along with some anthologies of Elric shortstories, which makes it a little diffficult to figure out what books to start with.

Elric is held up as an iconic (and maybe really the first) example of the classic Anti-hero.  He's a tragic figure but not really one thats tragic because he tries to do good and the universe it out to get him.  Its a really nice spin on the heroic fantasy genre.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #19 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 8:31pm

Here is a review of one of the newer runequest suppliments. It does touch on an overview of the setting though to give you an idea of what the feel of the runequest setting. (The book in question address a period which leads up to the classic setting but many of the observations seem to ring true.)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 10:04pm

Booo @ Kebb! I love Moorcock's books, but I guess it's all person preference. I know people that ador the wheel of time books and I couldn't finish reading the first book. As far as the Elric collection, there have been so many reprints in various formats, but I recommend buying the Eternal Champion line since it is the most current omnibus with Mr. Moorcock's latest forewards and notes.

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #21 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 11:11pm

My best friend in Highschool couldnt put the Elric stuff down. I was into Harry Harrison at the time so never gave the Moorcock much of a chance. Then again I couldnt get through the wheel of time...it just lost me. Dune? Wielder of white gold? Ate those up like kiddie crack. No accounting for taste maybe.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Kebb
Keeberon
Big Dog
MGG
JustSayNo

me.

Reply #22 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 12:59am

Just for the record, I really liked The Wheel of Time series... for the first four books.  I'll argue till I'm blue in the face that the first four books are completely awesome, the rest of the series just went down hill incredibly quickly.  I read all the Elric, Hawkmoon and Corum books.  Mainly because I thought the concept was really cool, however, I'll stand by my statement that I think Moorcock may be a wonderful idea man, he just can't string a series of words together in an interesting fashion. 
Who is Harry Harrison?  never heard of him before.

Ok, so here's the new question.  High fantasy setting, which one do you like?  Don't care about the rules system.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #23 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 6:45am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

High fantasy? Hmmm. Tolkien.
Sword and sorcery? Hyborian Age

IP Logged

Kebb
Keeberon
Big Dog
MGG
JustSayNo

me.

Reply #24 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 2:02pm

Sorry, I meant, which fantasy (high fantasy, sword and sorcery, whatever) do you like to roleplay in.  I don't really care about the rules system, I'm just trying to find something new thats worth my time and money.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #25 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 2:20pm

Sci-Fi Fantasy FTW

The weirder the better

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #26 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 5:30pm

If your going to throw down cash either enjoy the reading or figure out who is playing what. If your buying a game to read, and look at the setting as sort of a sociological case-study then recomendations will be all over the map. If however your looking to buy a game to play, I think you need to find a group and work from there. The larger following of the most popular game systems means you will have less trouble pulling a group to play togther. It took me 6 months to assemble the Wyverndale group...and we play 4th ed DnD. Pathfinder is fairly popular (though maybe has the highest entry cost) Basic D&D (Came with B2 "keep on the border lands") is low entry cost (10 bucks on ebay?), a hoot to play and has a decent chance of getting players for an afternoon..no experience required.

IP Logged

Nomad
Townfolk

Mandeville
Reply #27 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 12:15pm

Just to point out that the RQII rules for sale at many dealers currently is produced by Mongoose and is not the same RQII that uses BRP produced in the eighties by Chaosium. The Mongoose version while similar is not BRP and to use older setting supplements will require conversion work particularly of the magic system... not dfficult just time consuming.

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #28 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 2:07pm

beyonder wrote on Jul 22nd, 2010 at 2:20pm:
Sci-Fi Fantasy FTW

The weirder the better

I agree with beyonder here. Something akin to Final Fantasy III where there are machines, lights, and vehicles. But instead of electricity the power source is derived from magical energy. Super cool!

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #29 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 4:07pm

The Ebberon setting for 3rd/4th ed D&D is almost exactly what Adam describes. Privateer Press has a war-machine setting (and rules) out there as well. 

I like the Sword and Sorecery, always made more sense to me. For science fiction I liked the idea of the traveller universe. Because there is Faster than light travel but not communication it always had the feel of the age of the high seas but in space.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print