Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Chaosium's BRP system? (Read 3403 times)
Kebb
Keeberon
Big Dog
MGG
JustSayNo

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Chaosium's BRP system?
Jul 14th, 2010 at 3:03pm

Hey all,

Has anyone played using Chaosium's basic roleplaying system?  I've been looking around on their website and it looks like it could be promising.  I like the idea of a generic system that could be used for anything (I know GURPS is out there but could never really get into that system's mechanics) and some of the campaign settings they have are pretty sweet sounding.  Anyway, just asking for yall's thoughts or experiences with the system.

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Re: Chaosium's BRP system?
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 3:50pm

I've used the system WAYYY back when running ElfQuest and 1st Ed Stormbringer.  I have recently gotten interested in BRP again and bought the core book from amazon.  Reading through that and Call of Cthulhu 6ed (also BRP) right now.

If we are gaming this weekend and you are there I'll bring the BRP core book so you can take a look, if your interested.

IP Logged

Kebb
Keeberon
Big Dog
MGG
JustSayNo

me.

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 4:50pm

Thanks for the offer.  I'd like to take a look at it if you don't mind.  I'm interested in the idea of not having set levels and that skills advance as you use them (which is something I really liked about the Morrowind game if you've ever played it).  I'm gonna be out of town this weekend but I plan on making it to next week's game.

IP Logged

Kebb
Keeberon
Big Dog
MGG
JustSayNo

me.

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 4:52pm

Speaking of Morrowind and Elderscrolls in general.  Has any company attempted to turn that setting into a tabletop RPG?  I didn't particularly like Oblivion but I thought the Morrowind setting was pretty cool and could be used as a good setting for a game.

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 6:22pm

Kebb wrote on Jul 14th, 2010 at 4:52pm:
Speaking of Morrowind and Elderscrolls in general.  Has any company attempted to turn that setting into a tabletop RPG?  I didn't particularly like Oblivion but I thought the Morrowind setting was pretty cool and could be used as a good setting for a game.

Yeah, I've played all 4 of the main Elder Scrolls games, but none of the off shoots like Redguard or Blackspire (I think).

Not sure about actual published material, but I am sure there is fan created stuff.  I guess the best thing to try is do a google search for your system of choice and elder scrolls.

gurps elder scrolls
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Lots of fan conversion and questions and stuff.

BRP elder scrolls
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
From what I have seen with a quick scan of a couple of these links is the BRP is the way to go to closely match the skill system used in the computer games.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 6:52pm

I think the original Runequest system by Chaosium would be right up your alley.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 10:28pm

hewhorocks wrote on Jul 14th, 2010 at 6:52pm:
I think the original Runequest system by Chaosium would be right up your alley.

mmmmmmm......RuneQuest......drool  Been a damn long time for that one.  Some of the most fun in middle and high school playing that.

Picked up Mongoose's RuneQuest II Core Rulebook last week or so, have not had a chance to read it yet, but thumbing through it looks like they kept the system for the most part intact.  Deeper reading when I get the time will let me decide if it is any good.

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 6:03pm

IMO, BRP rates right up there with 1st ed. AD&D as an all-time great RPG.  I was part of the playtesting leading up to the most recent release, and was very happy that everyone (at Chaosium & playtesters) were on the same page about making the new version compatible with the previous editions.

The new BRP incorporates just about all of the subsystems from their various games.  For instance, insanity is now a basic function in BRP, not just Call of Cthulhu, and allegiances (or cults) are now basic as well, not just subsystems from RQ or Elric/Stormbringer.  Of course, it's all modular, so you can include in your game what you see fit, and disregard the rest without leaving any holes.

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

Nomad
Townfolk

Mandeville
Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 1:46am

New to the boards here, Hi everyone........ but I have been playing with BRP in the form of Runequest /CoC for over 20 years and still believe it's the most versatile system out there.

To a new player I would describe some of the Pro's as:-

1. Very intuitive % based system, no cryptic THAC0's or dots to count.

2. Scaleable villains. A single trollkin (goblin equivalent) can still be deadly to high level characters as a dragon.

3. Very rich campaign backgrounds available from Glorantha, and Cthulhu to Ancient Rome, Ringworld and Superheroes. Many still available OOP or via ebay etc.

4. Various types of magic systems available

5. Much cheaper than 4e, WFRP/40K or White Wolf to collect.

Cons would include:-

1. Little sparse on detail in some areas that gamers want detail such as exhaustive fatigue rules or psionics

2. Large combats can bog down when you're not familiar with the rules, but with practice they can be as fluid as nay system and have a host of extra details in optional rules.

3. PC's can die easily. As mentioned as a pro even apparently  minor enemies can deliver deadly critical blows.

4. Some of the depth of background materials can be intimidating. Don't worry about it, it's your game use what you want.

I could go on but you get the idea....highly recommended.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 5:02am

I used to have tons of Runequest stuff. Time was it was one of the big 3 "D&D, traveller, Runequest." (yeah petal throne wasnt ever that hot...at least in my neck of the woods) Lots of the system crept into many games later on.  I got the feeling though that it tried to hard in the early years to be Chocolate chip to ODnD's vanilla. We did though really enjoy CoC in the mid 80's. I remember converting and modifying "gangbusters" scenarios to CoC.

Edited to add the link to CoC quick-start rules:

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 2:05pm

Just to add to Hew's linky.  Here is the quick-start for the base BRP system.

IP Logged

Kebb
Keeberon
Big Dog
MGG
JustSayNo

me.

Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 2:51pm

Ok, so here's a question for those of you in the know.

I looked at the quickstart guide and I definitely think its something that I can get into.  So I'm thinking of buying.  Now, I can purchase this stuff online at either paizo.com or the chaosium website. 

So here's my question.  The BRP corerule book on the chaosium website appears to be a rule book only (no setting) that brings together all the different rule sets from CoC, RuneQuest, etc.  Which in theory sounds really cool.

However, for those of you who know me, you know that I am ALL about the setting.  If a setting is really cool then I'll deal with a crappy rule mechanic, I'm more of a story guy than a rolling dice guy. 

So that being said, should I instead purchase the RuneQuest II book available on paizo.com?  It has the majority of the BRP rules in it (especially the magic system, which I think could be really cool) AND it has a setting.  Now, I've never played RuneQuest (either on paper or on video game) so my question is to yall, is the setting worth it?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 3:15pm

If you want to wait a few days I'll bring both the BRP Core book and the RuneQuest II (Mongoose) to the game so you can give them a once over and see what you like before you decide. 

Yes, the BRP is just rules, but if you look on the Chaosium website there are alot of monographs that will cover a variety of settings.  From Fantasy and Rome, to Sci-Fi and Apocalyptic, and a bit in between.  It would also not be that hard to use another setting from another game.

RuneQuest II is, for the most part, stand alone fantasy but the defacto setting for it is Glorantha.  There is also Lankhmar and soon to be released the Elric (Stormbringer) world.  While the introduction to MRQ2 stated the rule set can be used for any setting and genre, it does focus on gritty fantasy.  The thing to keep in mind is although this game was originally a BRP game when produced my Chaosium, Mongoose has changed the system a bit.  It is still d100 but there are a few significant changes, at least that is what I see from the little I have read of the RQ2 Core book and seen on the BRP forums, that may not be fully compatible with BRP.

Let me know about the books and I'll bring them on Saturday.

IP Logged

Kebb
Keeberon
Big Dog
MGG
JustSayNo

me.

Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 3:20pm

Please do.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 4:29pm

You could make any rules set work for you if you dont mind a little elbow grease. Not having a setting married to the rules allows you to beg, borrow and steal to get you own setting how you envision it. Sounds like a bit of work but computers really help cut the workload down. BRP will make you set the core assumptions for your game (by making you determine which mechanics you incorporate) This will help you in conveying your setting to your players though its a little more work on the front end.

What I mean is if your using a sanity mechanic then we automaticly know something about the game world. Its like determining keywords for the setting.

I think the settings available are all probably pretty good though you will run into players expectations by using them. "A Tie fighter's core can be used to power an independant shield generator didnt you read rouge squadron 44?" If your going to pull together something unique and put in the effort in the front end then BRP may be up your alley.

The thing is with any homebrew campaign though is you have to enjoy the building process. The game can suffer if you try to build railroad tracks to your coolest creations.

Runequest has a very cool setting (in my opinion) and it has the benefit of not being as widely known as say Forgotten realms etc. Mongoose does seem to do a good job of breathing new life into vintage games. (Their travelller stuff get a thumbs up from me.) But unless you are looking to go right out of the box into the Runequest world I might lean towards BRP.

Just my .02

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print