Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lack of Discussion (Read 1665 times)
beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Lack of Discussion
Jul 13th, 2010 at 6:38pm

So I've been noticing for a while that although there is a decent bit of activity on boards that pertain to specific games (Meetup group, Wyverndale), there are very few posts on NOLARPG.com that are geared towards the general discussion of RPGs, e.g. house rules people use, reviews of gaming materials, general questions, and so on.  Sometimes whole days go by without any new posts.

Surely the members of this forum enjoy 1) discussing gaming and 2) screwin' around on teh nets, so here's my question:  where are you doing it?  I know the reddit RPG feed is pretty active, and there are numerous other forums out there that get a lot of traffic as well; WotC's website is an obvious example, though I never visit it because it's blocked here at work.

So what gives?  Frankly, I'd rather participate in a local discussion than on a huge, non-location-based board, though I do realize the benefit in a larger user base with a wider geographical distribution (larger population, more diversity).

What do YOU think?  Do you participate in other forums/fora?  If so, which ones?  If not, why?

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Re: Lack of Discussion
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 7:44pm

I think you hit the nail on the head and partially answered your own question.  I stay on here because it has my three campaign areas...Wyverdale, Meetup Gaming group, and Just Say no.

I do a little in the general areas but most of the times, we talk at the game sessions or after them because we are into the game at the time.  I admit that sometimes we divert to five or six topics into another and stray so far from our game but even then, we stick to the campaign at hand.

As I had mentioned, I am in three games, playing in two and DM for the last one.  I spend probably six hours or more (usually much more) on my own, with some RP and minor decision making on the two I play in.  I really do not have time on this board or another to really get into a game beyond a comment or three.  Much less into one with someone, like you said, from somewhere on the D&D forums, where I most likely will never play with those people.  So local or not, for me at least, if you are not in my immediate group, talking about gaming is probably not going to happen beyond a, "How did it go?  Did you die?  or Kill any of your players?" remarks and or questions.

When the new store opens up, +1 Gaming I might go there directly and hang or talk but will have to figure it out then.  I mean Beyonder, you know I spend 90% of Saturday gaming, so...

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:15pm

The board has a small population and much of the general game discussion given that many of us know folks irl the discussions on merits of other gaming systems happens in person.

That along with the situation where online communities of larger size or more specific intrests (i.e. Gurps or warhammer boards) get you more specific and specialized information more quickly.

I visit the Wizard's boards, the warhammer forum, the herdstone (love me my beastmen) and lately the Traveller freelace trader sites. As well as one of my favorite sites:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:32pm

Fair enough!

I think I need to spend more time gaming and less time talking about gaming.

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 10:38pm

I tend to bounce around a few different gaming sites.  But, I like this one because it is local.  I tend to lurk more than anything on SJGames, Paranoia-Live.net, Basic Roleplaying Central, Yog-Sothoth, and the White-Wolf forums (see below for links).  But I do most of my posting here.  Trying to greet the new members and take part in threads that I have a viewpoint one way or the other.  I game Saturday nights but do tend to check these forums 4,5,6...hundred times (don't tell my boss "Hi Dav") a day just to see what's up. 

I don't tend to start up much conversation because it seems most of the games played are D&D 3.5 (or some version thereof) and D&D 4.  I play Pathfinder with my group but I am not what you would call devote of the D&D 3.x or 4 systems.  I like GURPS but it does tend to have alot more crunch than people care about but I also like the lighter rule sets like BRP, CoC, and WoD.

Anyway, all this rambling is just to point out that although people check the forums several times a day they may not initiate posts.  Most of mine seem to be read but unanswered or responded to, so I post things I find that I like or think is interesting but apparently it is just interesting for me.  Grin

K

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 12:06am

I am totally down with the Yog-Sothoth site. That one is a keeper.

IP Logged

david
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot

one bad dude, not two

harahan, la
Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 1:36am

I'm a big fan of Myth Weavers, and participate in random discussions pertaining to game rules, systems, and anything there that catches my fancy. I also game there in PbP, since it is a good option, and easier to schedule than tabletop sometimes. I try to participate here when i have something to say that isn't completely stupid/inappropriate/incomprehensible.

WWW woody_two_soul lechgame  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #7 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 5:44am

I just picked up the necronomicon at borders for my vacation book. great beach reading...

"That is not dead which can eternal lie;
And with strange eons even death may die."

mmmmm....Nameless city goodness

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 11:26pm

hewhorocks wrote on Jul 14th, 2010 at 5:44am:
I just picked up the necronomicon at borders for my vacation book. great beach reading...

Which one did you get?  The Lovecraft stories one, the CoC game suplement one, or the one that supposedly has spells and stuff in it?  Linky please.

I have a copy of the last one but it has been awhile since I looked at it.  Small black paperback book with the neconomicon symbol in white on the front.

IP Logged

DannyTorrance
Top Ten GM
Top Ten

Stark raving sane.

Kenner, LA
Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 1:53am

I got caught with a copy of that (the paperback one) when I was in 11th grade in an extremely fundamentalist Baptist town in East Baton Rouge. My vice principal actually pulled me out of class to ask if I "believed in Jesus Christ", and later burned the book behind the gymnasium.

And that is one of many reasons I love Lovecraft. Anybody who can write a fake book that elicits that much fear from the religious zealots has earned my undying respect.

"A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to himself."

IP Logged

shawnmtoups
Townfolk

Kenner
Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 3:08am

DannyTorrance wrote on Jul 15th, 2010 at 1:53am:
I got caught with a copy of that (the paperback one) when I was in 11th grade in an extremely fundamentalist Baptist town in East Baton Rouge. My vice principal actually pulled me out of class to ask if I "believed in Jesus Christ", and later burned the book behind the gymnasium.

And that is one of many reasons I love Lovecraft. Anybody who can write a fake book that elicits that much fear from the religious zealots has earned my undying respect. 

lol agreed.  i had a similar experiencce involving my grandmother and some holywater.

shawnmtoups nightsonsmt  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 4:44am

Kev wrote on Jul 14th, 2010 at 11:26pm:
hewhorocks wrote on Jul 14th, 2010 at 5:44am:

Which one did you get?  The Lovecraft stories one, the CoC game suplement one, or the one that supposedly has spells and stuff in it?  Linky please.

I have a copy of the last one but it has been awhile since I looked at it.  Small black paperback book with the neconomicon symbol in white on the front.

This one Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

david
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot

one bad dude, not two

harahan, la
Reply #12 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 11:33am

Uh oh....you guys are evil devil-worshippers! Repent, repent! Come to the light of the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus and any other mythical figure to aid you! Reading books is evil!

Though I did read the Necronomicon when I was in high school.....at least in Arkansas the zealots were too stupid to read and know what I was reading.... Grin

WWW woody_two_soul lechgame  
IP Logged

DannyTorrance
Top Ten GM
Top Ten

Stark raving sane.

Kenner, LA
Reply #13 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 2:55am

Yeah, that was my lapse in judgment, bringing in a copy that had pictures. Fundies might not understand what a sigil to summon and bind the eldritch horrors of Azathoth means, but they know it's got too many lines to be a cross.
Geez, just talking about my experiences at that high school makes me hear the phantom notes of "Duelling Banjos" playing in the background. That bastard is the PRINCIPAL now. Those poor kids.

"A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to himself."

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #14 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 5:46am

There is one nice nice thing about being a "fundamentalist American." You get to point out to religious fundamentalists  that Freedom means you are supposed to be able to read all about whatever you want and folks who try to stop you are being "un-Americana and unpatriotic." Sometimes its nice to just bait those folks then point out the meaning of their actions and watch the smoke billow from ears as the mental gears start to grind. But then again you cant really convince a rock to float...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print