Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Burning Wheel (Read 991 times)
beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Burning Wheel
Jul 9th, 2010 at 7:35pm

Has anyone here ever played the Burning Wheel RPG?  It's a relatively new (< 10 years old) system that I keep reading about in blogs lately.  From what I understand it uses a simple dice pool-based skill-check system, and everything I read about it says that it lends itself to character-driven campaigns.

Apparently there are a couple official campaign settings; one heavily inspired by Dune and an historical setting based on Heian-era Japan.

Anyway, it seems kind of interesting.  Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this?

Here's the link to the game's About page:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Re: Burning Wheel
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 7:34pm

No love for Burning Wheel!  Does that mean that this is also a bad place to ask about Empire of the Petal Throne?  The setting for EPT sounds amazing, though I don't know anything about the system.

I guess I've just been craving an off-the-beaten-path RPG and/or campaign setting lately - what about you?  Are there any games or settings you've always wanted to try but never have? 

I'll research Burning Wheel and EPT as I await the official release of Dark Sun 4E.

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 12:53am

EPT is another kettle of fish entirely. Its about as old school as you can get. Back in the day, different settings had different rules systems. I think with either burning wheel or EPT you're more likely to get an existing group to try a game than to make a game group for those systems out of whole cloth.

I'm interested in dark sun 4e just to see how they handle the setting with all the stuff they added in. To make 4th ed they had to make some major changes in the standard setting (and forgotten realms for that matter) It will be interesting to note if they just mash all the new races etc into dark sun or just try to produce something consistent with the old setting but with 4e rules.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Kebb
Keeberon
Big Dog
MGG
JustSayNo

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 7:55pm

I actually got an old copy of Empire of the Petal Throne and read through it.  While the setting seems incredibly well thought out and cool (the guy who wrote it was a contemporary of Tolkein), the society/culture does not seem to lend itself to "adventuring" as it is incredibly rigid and caste-like.  Furthermore, I do not believe I have ever read of a setting (except maybe Darksun) where the entirety of the world outside of the cities seems geared to killing the pcs.  I mean its freaky that a plant along the road could easily kill a character you've spent three hours creating.

So final thought: cool setting to read about and maybe read in novels, but WAY too hard to actually play

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:06pm

Heh,

At least you get to the road for the plant to kill you (funny story about that actually..... Woad!) In the classic Sci-Fi game traveller you could have your character get killed 3/4 the way through character creation!

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Kebb
Keeberon
Big Dog
MGG
JustSayNo

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:19pm

Was Traveller any good?  Was there a setting along with the system or was it a system set up for outerspace that you used for any setting you wanted?  Never really understood that.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:28pm

Traveller is awesome, though I've definitely lost a character during the creation process.

Character creation is REALLY intense.  Get this: you roll on a table for the attributes of your home world - technology level, landscape, climate, et cetera; these affect the skills your character possesses.

I've never actually played a game of Traveller, but I've read through my book a decent bit (my version is Mongoose Traveller which is fairly recent) and rolled a few characters.  Since then I've been dying to play.

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:29pm

Oh, and there is a campaign setting called the Third Imperium.  People are apparently pretty cultish about it, but I've never taken a look at it myself.

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:50pm

Originally traveller was to be kind of generic but had something of a standardized setting (kind of like original dnd) I never did a Third Imperium game because canon material and I dont tend to get along.

I played traveller a lot (about 25 years ago) but have the newer Mongoose system comming in the mail. I'd run a few games with some variant rules (dice pool skill checks?) once I check everything out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print