Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lookin' for a store... (Read 2161 times)
Yver
Townfolk

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Lookin' for a store...
Jun 10th, 2010 at 5:30pm

I'm just looking for a store in the area, I'll go as far as Mandeville or so. Just looking for some minis to buy, and hopefully some paints too, I can't seem to find info anywhere, and I've been told at comic stores there are no gaming stores, but I don't believe it...
Thanks!

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Re: Lookin' for a store...
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 5:47pm

Galactic Goods at 343 West Esplanade Avenue, Kenner is the only gaming store that I know of in the area, but they only sell the prepainted plastic miniatures (I asked for unpainted miniatures and got funny looks).

IP Logged

Yver
Townfolk

me.

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 6:51pm

really? lame Sad

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 7:51pm

Yeah, lame.  There was a shop that sold tons of miniatures but they closed down this past year.

Little Wars is in Baton Rouge; it's a pretty solid store.  But, again, it's in Baton Rouge.

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 10:37pm

I buy almost all my miniatures from Amazon and some stores that I link to from there,but get my best deals on EBAY.  You can really price shop but if you have the specific ones you are looking to get, then it is usually best to buy from a single vendor/seller that has good prices on multiple items, such as $.25 to $1.00 extra in S/H for each additional mini.

Good luck.

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 11:05pm

A little larger font moyphotos, I couldn't quite read that.   Shocked

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 2:48am

Little Wars in baton rouge is the closest I can think of. Sadly Galactic games closed down. Paints are easy hub hobby should have almost anything you need there. (look for acrylics not those glossy testors paints)

The problem with mini sales is that they represent low turnover inventory. Most gamers will find the same mini online for 30% off retail. If the shipping = the tax then instant gratification is the only barrier and that hits gaming stores hard. That coupled with low turnover inventory changing to dead inventory its a hard business to run without having a serious web presence or a large active dedicated customer base.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 2:18pm

I have scoured the Northshore and there are only two shops still open. Neither sell minis unless you are looking for Warhammer, and those are extremely limited. The owners of both suggested that I go online. Amazon has super discounted prices Smiley

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 2:20pm

I've always been a total sucker for instant gratification.  There are few things I love more than walking out of a store with stuff in my hands.

I've also always been a total sucker for supporting local game shops because they help foster genuinely active local gaming communities, so there's that, too.  If everyone bought all their Magic cards (you can get a box of boosters of a current set online for under $90) and RPG supplies (2-for-1 4e sourcebooks, I'm looking at you - and oh, by the way, Amazon free shipping works because they mark so many single products down to just below $25, forcing you to buy something else to take advantage of free shipping) online, Galactic Goods would have gone the way of Galactic Games a long time ago, and there would be no good spot to hold y'all's weekly meetups. 

I generally only buy stuff online when I can't find it in town, which, unfortunately, is all the time.  The sad-ass Borders on Veterans has a better D&D selection than Galactic Goods.  That's what the Spaniards call 'el terrible.'

So, Adam: Where are these shops on the Northshore?  I'd like to check them out, for shore.

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Northshore shops
Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 3:13pm

Magic Comics And Hobbies LLC is located at:
727 Robert Boulevard
Slidell, LA 70458
(985) 649-4171

I talked to the owner. He runs it and works right now, but hopes the shop will be his retirement plan. He was really friendly and knew a ton about comics. He will order practically anything you need that he doesn't carry when it comes to comic books. Unfortunately, he explained to me that the store's focus has shifted to comics and radio control hobbies. The gamers weren't bringing in enough revenue for him to continue to support the products. "They would come in to play, but they already had their own material, or would purchase it online," he said.

The other is School of Comics:
2981 U.S. 190
Mandeville, LA 70471-3298
(985) 951-8505

I had about the same experience here. Comics all over the place, but no role playing games to speak of. They were set up to support warhammer games, and sold some of the minis for it, but not much else for other games. The guy there did tell me that there are a few games that play on Wednesdays starting at about 1700, but he wasn't sure what kind they were and I would have to stop in and see. I have not gone back to take a look, but I plan to next week.

If you plan on going by to take a closer look let me know beyonder, because I might go with you just to see if there is anything new to check out.

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 6:39pm

Well, here's a new store planned to open in September (not sure if the owners are on these forums or not):

+1 Gaming

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

They're gonna be by the Clearview Mall.  A lot of excited folks on the facebook page.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 7:33pm

Score!

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 8:15pm

That's awesome!  I think I mentioned in an older post that my bank teller told me about something like this; anyway, he said his friend was in the process of opening a shop.  This must be it!

I'll definitely ask him about it next time I'm in there; I'll give you guys the dirt, if'n there is any.

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #13 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 12:27am

Right on.  That is damn near right across the street from me.  The family will miss me...or maybe not. Wink

IP Logged

Gman
Townfolk

me.

Belle Chasse
Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 9:33pm

My wife loves painting the minis, we have quite a few, and typically she orders her paints and the minis from nobleknight.com.

They ship very quickly, never get an order wrong and are decently competitive on pricing, although for older/out of print material, you obviously pay a premium sometimes.

I've ordered from reaper-minis.com too, you can find a lot of what you want from them, and they have a "boneyard" where you can get pieces to graft/meld onto a mini, like if you want a Dwarf with a sword for instance.

I do miss the old days of going to gaming stores, but it seems just as real gamers (table top types) are a dying breed, so too are those game stores.

Gman gmanv4  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print