Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Characters in Wyverndale (Read 1022 times)
hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Characters in Wyverndale
May 23rd, 2010 at 2:02am

While I continue to adjust the setting to accommodate 4th edition I may make changes as new material is released. In order to Maintain the flavor of the setting the following classes/ races are those playable as presented in the 4th ed rulebooks. (Luke is grandfathered in.)

Races:
Dwarf, Eladrin , Elf, Half elf,Halfing ,Human, Gnome, shifters

The following races are playable though with flavor revisions (none breed true):

Half-orcs / Goliaths: Flavor wise both of these races are portions of the barbarian tribesman. Though they are obviously human they maintain their size. Rules-wise they maintain their abilities. Each “race” is generally rare, different tribes characterize the races differently though most are considered  touched by the spirits.

Tiefling*: Demonic-touched are playable though in Wyverndale they appear as humans except for the eyes.

Deva*: “The ancient ones.”  These visitors come from a land rumored far to the west. Devas are always associated with the goals of a specific god .

Note that other races may be included though they will need to be specifically tied into the setting by the player. Discussion with the DM and a detailed history explaining the uncommon character are minimum prerequisites.
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2010 at 10:42pm by hewhorocks »  

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Re: Characters in Wyverndale
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2010 at 2:18am

All classes from the player's handbook series (and hybrids there of) are allowed in the setting with the following exceptions:

Warden, battle-mind, seeker.
Note that character classes of the artificer and sword-mage or setting specific and are not allowed as well.

These changes are made from a flavor perspective not a balance one. Rather than lament the  inability to play these character concepts, I encourage you to find a combination of available choices and tie them into the setting.
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2010 at 10:39pm by hewhorocks »  

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 4:43am

Speaking with Sean after the game we shared ideas on a few subjects which I thought important to document. As wizards injects more and more stuff of the “Hey thats cool” variety into D&D I find that the base game is getting so cluttered with “cool” that the flavor and feel of the game world is being drowned out. Basically he reminded me of the saying “If everything is special, then nothing is.” While I really like the game-play of 4th edition the amount of  “high magic” fluff that permeates the rules is somewhat unsuitable for Wyverndale. Without  understanding on the part of the players and vigilance on the part of me the setting could be forced to undergo the same sort of cataclysm that the base setting did on 4th ed role out. This can not be! In that  spirit I though I would offer up more of an explanation on the feel of the setting. These are somewhat of a departure from the core assumptions offered in the base setting.

1.The population is by and large not multicultural. Sure folks may see and even interact with other races but they are suspicious at best of other races intentions. Settlements have multiple races though they are commonly self segregating.
2.Magic is powerful,  mysterious, and whenever possible subtle.
3.Magic items are fairly rare and they cannot be broken down into their components (though can be disenchanted) they generally can not be bought on the open market. 
4. Sun-rods and alchemical are wondrous items and are generally treated as magical in terms of availability.
5.Certain keywords (Teleport for example) need to be re-flavored to be less fantastical (though rules-wise identical.) Once paragon and epic levels are reached a freer hand may be granted. Use  the Conan setting, LOTR or the “Basic d&d” rules as a guide to determine if it fits.
6. Raise dead is a mid paragon level ritual (15lvl)

For example while the dynamic weapon can be taken, it changes only in terms of rules not flavor. In character, it still looks exactly the same to everyone who can see it. No rp is required, its changes are entirely ooc. While this may decrease its utility somewhat (its a dagger in my boot no its a claymore) that's the price you pay for being stuck in a “low-to mid” magic setting.
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2010 at 7:03pm by hewhorocks »  

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 5:30am

Just a note:

As folks are becoming more and more familiar with the setting and various locals it is important to note that not all encounters will be scaled to pc's level. While characters are heroic note that some things surpass even your impressive abilities.

While many times I will re-flavor encounters to match character levels there are a number of static locations that are scary for a reason.

Forewarned.....again

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 2:04am

Some things that maybe we haven't necessarily internalized  yet.

1) Magic is considered supernatural and is stigmatized. Magic is not an everyday tool and most folks avoid it if at all possible. Think of magic like drug use. You wouldn't advertise it.

2) Most NPCs are minions..this includes craftsmen, bartenders, guards etc. By extension temple priests are usually not endowed with divine abilities. Player characters really are several cuts above the little people.

3) Use of most primal, arcane, divine, or psionic power will freak the carp out of witnesses.

4) Monsters are out there, they are freaking dangerous and magic only attracts them. With a few exceptions where the endowed have significant clout : Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print