Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Avatar: The Last Airbender Module (Read 3748 times)
Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Avatar: The Last Airbender Module
May 20th, 2010 at 12:17am

Okay so here's the idea:
    I want to create a mod to play a campaign set in the Avatar: The Last Airbender world. After researching many gaming systems, I found that using FUDGE or FATE would probably make this possible and extremely fluid. And that is what an A:TLA setting would need.
    I am looking for people that know the series and FUDGE/FATE that would like to give me some input into defined game mechanics for characters, combat, and above all bending. I have a few ideas that I am throwing around, but would really benefit from some outside brainstorming.

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

Casper
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Dogs of War
Top Ten
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Stark player
Esplanade

You want what??? For how
much???

Seattle
Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender Module
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2010 at 12:21am

I'd use GURPS with restrictions that players can only take magic talent in one single school.

The only issue would be if an important spell in one school has a prereq in another school.  Then you need to change it or its a spell only the avatar would have.

Air, fire, water, and earth already have spell trees.

Don't waste my time.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2010 at 11:16pm

Hmmm. My system of choice would be hero..though FATE would be easier to run. Fate can be satisfying to run short arc with but I find that longer campaigns generally dont have enough carrots unless the players are actively engaged with the specific story line/ setting.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2010 at 11:28pm

I appreciate the advice, guys. Unfortunately the two systems are not what I am looking for. I think I will stick with the FATE system. It seems like it would be easier to mimic the versatile nature of "bending" by having the players decide how they use it and rolling checks for successes, rather than creating an almost limitless amount of powers with their specific functions and stats.

I am curious to know what you meant by FATE not having enough carrots for long term campaigns, hewhorocks. I wasn't planning on a long campaign until I test played a bit, but could you be more specific?

I'm getting closer to what I want as I work on it, but I love the comments and hope they keep coming in.

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2010 at 9:09pm

Im my experience Fate works well for one-offs. My issue with the system for prolonged use was character advancement. Granted advancement is kind of an imposed ideal in any system but the fudge/fate advancement almost removes much of the "cool" factor of reaching miles-stones. This is fine as long as long as you have the right players. However most players (even if they wont admit it) enjoy that viceral bump of "level up" that consistues more than what Fate/fudge doles out. ...some players find it tough to get excitied about widenening your pyramid especially when there is a considerable amount of hand-waving in the system in anycase.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #5 - May 25th, 2010 at 12:45am

Ok, I see what you mean now. Yeah, I guess there really isn't that "hard" bump in power that comes with other games' level ups... Maybe I can figure something out to supplement for that... Either way, I would think a campaign in A:TLAB setting would focus more on story, and role playing rewards. I guess the key is going to be finding gamers that are looking for that type of game in particular.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #6 - May 25th, 2010 at 4:58pm

If you get one with some extra time on their hands we could make room at our table. Just had a TPK (missing 2 front liners for a session and did not go well.)

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender Module Update
Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 2:53pm

OK, well I am going to try and start a D&D 4e game here on the Northshore, and I have posted that as well. As for this game, I think I have everything that I will need. Most of the bending mechanics will be dealt with using the player imagination and the success scale, and I think that will leave it very exciting and fresh. I will run the A:TLAB module if I get anyone that is interested in exploring it with me. Until then, I guess I will just put the project on the shelf. Thanks for all the help guys
Smiley

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 4:01pm

Regarding A:TLAB: Run a one-shot at Galactic some weekend/weeknight (but not this coming weekend) and I'll give it a try.

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 4:41am

168 views and only a few posts... you lazy bastards! lol j/k  Cheesy

IP Logged

blood_kite
MGG

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 1:04am

I've had some interesting experiences with A:TLA using the Dogs in the Vineyard system.  I've only seen the system used for a series of one-shots, but it is designed with advancement mechanics.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 2:32pm

Look what I found on Reddit this morning:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 2:59pm

Someone put a lot of work into that, and it looks great!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print