Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starting point. Rp from here.. (Read 1044 times)
hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Starting point. Rp from here..
Apr 14th, 2010 at 8:14pm

As soon as you leave the crack in the monolith ((upper left))you see the Myconids working around the rock face in droves. They appear to be preparing the area for cultivation. The air is thick with the spores they use for communication almost so much the dull purple light from the luminescent fungus and meteorite fragments is nearly blocked out.

True to his bond the Myconid shaman provides you with a guide through the fungal forest and past where the roots came to the floor. ((Black oval)) The dim light of the fugal forest is enough to navigate by though without the guide to follow you finding your way back may prove difficult. Still Dayereth’s careful mapping in his journal provides some scope of the cavern complex. The vastness of this underground kingdom is impressive. The guide brings you to the Kruthik trail.  Though he is silent, the spores he releases unmistakably convey fear.

After following the trail for several hours, you step out of the mushroom forest and onto a wide flowstone ridge which gently descends towards an underground lake. Across a wide open cavern floor to your left you note a huge mound of rubble and debris which rises fifty yards or more from the cavern floor. ((pyramid)) Even from this distance you see the movement and know this is the hive of the infernal insects which you confronted earlier. Thankfully your guide skirts the flowstone shore. You eventually come to side cavern and follow a small stream that steadily grows wider as you follow it. When the cave is approximately 40 feet wide you hear a great rush of water and the smell of fresh air invades your senses.  You stand on a cave mouth set into the side of a cliff  water rushes past you on the ledge and falls some 200 feet to the ground where is forms a pool which flows through a heavily forested box canyon. The walls of the canyon appear at least 250 feet tall on three sides of the canyon. The river winds through the canyon  floor and peaks through the dense foliage at various points. The influence of the feywild is strong here. Perhaps a three miles away the open end of the canyon falls over the edge of another cliff and into the south Kelix river rushing eastward below. Above you the cliff face ascends some 8o feet though it would be a very difficult climb.

The Myconid guide motions you to step forward and slips back through the passageway into the darkness. A rough pathway descends to the forested shore of the pool below. The trail to the canyon floor is littered with the remains of twig blights who have lost their footing or the slippery rocks. You must have lost track of time in the caverns as twilight is allowing the first stars to shine through the evening sky.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2010 at 11:11pm by hewhorocks »  

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Re: Starting point. Rp from here..
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 8:41pm

Luke spends some time gaping in astonishment at the view.

Once we get to the pool below, Luke takes off his black hat and his helmet and ducks his head into the waterfall for a second or two, then stands back up.

"What a glorious place!  I've never seen anything like it.  Completely hidden... I wonder if there are any people here.  Druids or elves maybe?  I hope there's someone we can talk to.  It doesn't seem right to just come in here and start hacking away at the enemy -- or worse yet, lighting them on fire.  Might just make the forest mad at us.

"But I don't know what I'm talking about here.  Aerandis, this seems like your kind of place.  What should we do?"

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 9:40pm

Aerandis takes in a deep breath of fresh air to cleanse the damp smell of mushrooms, rot, and dark places from his lungs.  He feels more at home with the sights here than he has since he started his journey. 

"We certainly don't want to anger a whole forest.  I'm not sure we could escape alive in that case.  Give me a minute to have a better look at what is ahead of us."

Scanning the canopy, he looks for signs of the treetop dwellings typical of the wood-elves from this part of the world.  The dim twilight appears to his eyes as bright as full sun would appear to a human.  As he is looking, he also attempts to get a sense of intent from the forest, using his growing connection to the primal spirit world.  He tries to distinguish areas of dark, malignant intent from those of solely natural intent [perception, speak with spirits].

IP Logged

OG
Townfolk

There is no spoon.

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 8:14am

Dayereth feels the closeness of the fey, but the thought does not comfort him.

"If I were you Aerendis, I wouldn't waste my time looking for humanoid life, but rather spend it sharpening a blade. A Wood Woad hates all non-forest life. Anything which uses the spoils of the forest, even in an attempt to live in harmony with it, is guilty in it's eyes.  This Woad which we have heard of has been driven mad by the sky-rock, in addition to being a murderous creature on it's own.  I doubt any of your brethren have survived here.  Particularly considering that it is now targeting villages outside the canyon."

"The nearness of the fey is interesting as well.  The feywild is made of magics which seem strange and fantastic to this world.  Be on the lookout for strange creatures and occurences while we're here."

Before they make camp, Dayereth takes Aerendis aside and again repeats the ritual, since they have killed creatures since the last time the bow was use.  After it is complete, Dayereth examines the characters emblazoned on the bowshaft.

"It is taking the magic, but not as quickly as I'd hoped.  Perhaps if you used it's main power more often, the wood would adapt better to the magic which it is trying to contain."

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 4:44pm

Luke scratches his beard. "But... we don't know who or what else might be living around here, do we? Any kind of people or spirits or whatever that the woad actually isn't mad at, for some reason?  If we're going to have to fight this thing, I'd like to know that anything else around here isn't going to join the battle on the woad's side."

He sits on a rock and contemplates his sword for a moment.  "Fighting a tree... That's just going to be weird.  It's not going to bleed like a normal monster would.  Wish I had a flaming sword right now."

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 8:59pm

From your high vantage point you can watch several flocks bats streaming from caves in the sides of the cliff. Occasionally winged drakes swoop through the bats. Other than several nests high in the trees the only obvious destination is an island set in the middle of a river. The island appears heavily forested and is probably large enough to hide a village beneath the canopy.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

OG
Townfolk

There is no spoon.

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2010 at 9:47pm

Dayereth considers the words of the Dryad.

"Well, it seems as though I'm carrying a dangerous item now. I think that I should get the sky-stone away from the forest.  Perhaps once in a safe place, I'll enchant something with it, get rid of it completely, perhaps make something which can help us on the quest."

"This development will leave our little band two persons short as well. does everyone want to face the possibility of a dragon so short? Maybe we can travel together for a way and find Brent before we delve deeper into the hidden forest.  I may still have to take leave of the party for a time to perform the ritual, but with Brent along, the party will not be so short-handed.  It may also give you all the opportunity to find a different way into this hidden valley that does not involve a treacherous journey through caves which resemble the underdark.  The river which flows through must have an outlet between the mountains."

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 3:27am

Aaron's stomach is in knots, gnarled and twisting as the rush of spores comes over him, sensing fully the fear the Myconid expresses.  So used to words and gestures and lazy common, getting "spoken to" by spores and all the non verbal information it conveys is truly amazing.  His stomach now settled as his brain reminds him there is no immediate danger, he takes in every sight he can, doing his best to appear calm and relaxed.  In truth, this underground world is beyond anything he could ever have imagined in any world.  True he was not the most eloquent or learned persons in the world, but he had just enough experience and wisdom to know there were many places like this and probably much closer to home than he realized.

Lost in his thoughts, although mindful of where they were walking, he listens but does not offer any solid answers or responses to the others discussion.  Yes, he was here to help them gather ingredients and any and all of the components that would be needed to raise Nadarresh's spirit but he was also here because these warriors and wizard were here to do what was right.  In this case it was to help the local village as best they could, help the local Myconids and restore the Woad to his normal self.

"Fighting a tree...that would be strange.” he agreed and nodded his head as Luke spoke but they had already done that earlier or yesterday, although they seemed to be more like roots than a tree.  “Evil?  Were the trees evil?  Or just defending themselves?  Maybe they had been corrupted or like the Wood Woad were lashing out because of the effects of the comet like Dayereth said?”  Aaron knew little of the Arcane so he trusted in the Wizard's abilities, which seemed quite formidable indeed these past few days.  “You know, so much credit is always given to a group’s wizard as the most powerful next to a cleric and the wrath of his deity or the weakest as they tend to be more fragile than a child in his first year.  A great fighter can break down a locked door, knock aside several foes to kill a wizard before the spell caster could launch so much as a magic-missile.  In fact I have seen a one do exactly that on several occasions, but not by his speed or power.  It was amazing to see but also something I will never forget.  A young brat, with a steady hand and excellent aim, hurled a stone to strike down the city guard wizard that was in my patrol group at a merchant bazzarr.  He was just thirty feet from him, no warning, no reason except to attack one of the guard, he dropped, out cold with one, very well placed shot.  Luckily, it was just a boy and the rock was small enough that the wizard lived to stand beside me for two more years.  I might be able to stop a stone from hitting you Dayereth, but this Woad…”  he trails off, shaking his head and sits on a large stone like mushroom.  “I do not know how effective we will be without your magic?”

Looking at the pathway they had come and towards the way they had come in, he looks as far as he can see and says, “I think we need to regroup on the surface, find Brent and then plan a way to stop the Woad.  So what plans do we make?”

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Reply #8 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 3:06pm

"I agree that we should put the sky-stone in a safe place.  If I've learned anything from our encounter with Stitches, it's that we can't keep precious objects away from people who want them bad enough."

"I also agree that we should retrieve Brent.  He sounded very confused when we left him, hopefully the woad's magic wasn't working on him when we left him there.  Perhaps we will be able to find our way back to the edge of the cliff and tie a rope off.  If we can avoid the dark places underground, all the better."

"As far as your assessment of the forest, Dayereth, you are partly right.  It may be true that the woad would regard someone of your race as a threat, but my people are forest creatures.  As much as the squirrel, who lives in nests and hollows in the treetops, so do we form our dwellings of living wood in cooperation with the trees.  However, we are not a party of wood-elves, and I would be hard-pressed to defend accusations against those here who have harmed living wood."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print