Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Galatic Games closing sale (Read 1525 times)
hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Galatic Games closing sale
Feb 16th, 2010 at 3:21am

Galactic games (2424 Williams in Kenner) is closing their doors. All Rpg books are $5 each if you buy 3+ or 40% off.  Tons of d20 stuff.

Sad to see it go. I know some folks never had great experiences there but I always got good service. Anyway thought I'd pass along the sale info.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Galatic Games closing sale
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2010 at 9:55pm

Yeah, I never expected that place to last very long. I remember feeling like I was not nerdy enough to waste their time, and I am TOTALLY nerdy enough.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 12:24am

I guess November would have been 15 years!

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 1:53am

I caught only the tell end of it, and by then I think it was obviously run down. After Katrina all the gamers left and did not come back.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 3:24pm

When do they close?  Do I have time to get out there this week?  That's a bummer, dudes!

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 6:26pm

I think that this weekend is the last one. Part of demise was that folks just werent buying their product there. On weekends the game tables were full but folks would buy their figures/books online. I know that many of the CCG players used to meet there for events but thoses functions apparently didnt translate into sales.

From what I gather there are wargaming places on the north shore (and one in baton rouge) but nothing in the metro area anymore. It seems that the comic book/ card shop with a table or two for gaming is all in the foreseeable future as far as Nola goes. Angry

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 6:41pm

Luckily Baton Rouge has Little Wars, which I found to be a pretty cool shop.  Apparently there are some other gaming stores out there as well, though I haven't been to any of 'em.

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 7:30pm

Yeah little wars is a hike though. I charge you with finding these  other gaming stores and posting reviews for us!

IP Logged

Casper
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Dogs of War
Top Ten
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Stark player
Esplanade

You want what??? For how
much???

Seattle
Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 8:10pm

twolf and I tried to go there today at lunch time but it was closed.  There was a sign saying anything left after close of business tomorrow (19th) would be trashed.

But it didn't have when it would be open.

Don't waste my time.

IP Logged

Kifaru
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Kallistier
Dogs of War
Intelligent_Life
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo

Run baby run

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 12:23am

I've tried to call the place a bunch of times the past few days but no one answers the phone.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 2:55pm

I'm also unable to reach them by phone.  Actually, this isn't the first time this has happened.  They were pretty unreliable, phone-wise.  Another time I called in to ask for their hours; I came in 45 minutes before the closing time they gave me and no one was there.  Really erratic stuff.  It's too bad; they seemed like cool guys and they had some good stuff in the shop.  Since I discovered the store less than a year ago, I've bought a 4e PHB2 (BLT, OMG), in addition to a miniature (still at hewhorocks's house) and a smattering of other crap.

Again, despite what anyone has to say about that shop, it sucks to see another FLGS go out of business.

RIP, Galactic Games, 19??-2010

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 5:59pm

They are doing somethin like 2-6pm except tuesdays.

but i think they are packing it in...

IP Logged

pestigor
Rune Bound

seeking treatment

Metairie,LA
Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 8:14am

The main issue with galactic games was there lack of stock, For pete's sake they only had one copy of pathfinder. If I go to a game store I look around and if something catch's my eye I'll buy it, price be damned. When I go to little wars they have a large stock of current and old RPG items on the shelves and I will see something new and shiny,I'll drop the cash. If I have to special order something that should be on the shelve I'm sorry but I'll order it myself. I might feel different if I played miniature games and needed aplace to play but that ain't me. Many of my friends and I got tired of going to galactic and seeing the same stuff on the shelves and only seeing one copy of a book we all wanted, so as far a I see it we didn't give up on galactic games, galactic games gave up on us. Here's to hoping the next shop fairs better than shamrock hobbies (late 70's till early 80's) imagine games (early 80's) Hub hobby's gaming section(late 70's till katrina) war games and fantasy (late 80's to early 2000's) Gamertopia (mid 2000's till katrina) Games conclave on the north  shore (late 90's till katrina) and most of the gaming sections of the comic shops throughout the city. I hope history doesn't repeat it's self. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

Christians dismiss 9,999 religions as false.Atheists dismiss just one more than that...

IP Logged

pestigor
Rune Bound

seeking treatment

Metairie,LA
Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 8:17am

Oh, btw they have to be out by the 28th. Anything left in the shop will be tossed refers to stuff people bring in and leave not product. They will ebay everything that doesn't sell. Thay usually open after 2pm and close early. Good luck picking over the bones.

Christians dismiss 9,999 religions as false.Atheists dismiss just one more than that...

IP Logged

shawnmtoups
Townfolk

Kenner
Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 6:51pm

The CCG section of the store had a smaller selection than the rpg section.  And then they got rid of the TO they had so no more events.  I never got the impression that Galactic Games was anything more than a hobby for the owners/employees.

As for a place to play, Galactic Goods in Kenner is much friendlier and if you talk to the owner, Ron, he probably help you set something up if need be.

shawnmtoups nightsonsmt  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print