Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Long Time Lurker sayin' Hi (Read 1708 times)
Graver13
Townfolk

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Irish Channel
Long Time Lurker sayin' Hi
Aug 29th, 2009 at 8:45am

Well, I've come to these forums a few times in the past and found that I couldn't create an account, but that's been fixed, yay! Given that i am finally able to, i figured I'd best register while the registering was good -after all, you never know when anything will just up and stop working again.

Well, a bit about me is in order I guess.  Been playing for 20 some odd years like most other folks though I've never been a fan of the more traditional high fantasy settings.  My first game was actually Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness (hush!  It was the 80's, I was in the 7th grade, and the turtles were hot to us kids back then! and I still kinda like them... Embarrassed) fallowed by Rifts before I realized other game systems existed.  From there, it was head first into the 90's darker then dark, gothier then goth games before a long ten year bender on bizarre indi games like Octane, Lacuna, and Little Fears with a long stent in the weird trashiness of Unknown Armies.  I guess the closer a game is to something Lynch, Cronenberg, or Barker would do, the more I'm drawn to it.

Currently, I'm GMing a game of Dark Heresy (Warhammer 40k rpg) and reveling in the insanity of it all.  It's like Lexx only as written by Clive Barker during the witch hunts.  I've been in love with the 40k setting since 1990 and waiting for an rpg based on it ever since I purchased Rogue Trader and realized it was rules for miniature skirmishes that really wanted to be an rpg but couldn't quite get there. I couldn't do much with it as I never had the money to get into the mini's -those damned things were expensive in the 90's and now they're just insane (though my roommate just pre-ordered the limited edition of the remake of Space-Hulk and the thing we're most excited about is getting to paint the little figures Grin ).  Once a 40k game was announced and released, I had to get it and brow-beat my players into finally agreeing to let me run it.  Turned out, they really got into the setting and story and a year and a half latter, we're looking forwards to Rogue Trader (same name as 40k 1st ed, but it's really a role playing game this time around chock full of syphilitic nazi cyborg conquistador pirates with fully automatic missile launchers!)

Well, that seems to about wrap up my gaming geekiness in a nut-shell... a rather large nut-shell, but a nut-shell none the less.

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Re: Long Time Lurker sayin' Hi
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 2:27pm

Heyas and welcome to the forums Graver13. 

I remember playing the TMNT back in *cough* 80-something, absolutely loved that game.  In fact I still have my original core rule book and supplements for it.  I played RIFTS several times during the years and have always been fascinated by the setting but, the Palladium rules leave alot to be desired.  Rifts setting jammed into GURPS = Happy Kaos.  Cheesy

I have not either played or heard of most of the other games you mentioned so I can't comment.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

K

IP Logged

Netzach Maccabi
Townfolk

A wayward Jew in the Big
Easy

Metairie
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 3:44pm

I have 30,000 points of Sisters of Battle, 4,000 Points of Space marines, and prolly 1,000 points left of Tau.

I got enough mini's to support a 6 way battle in appocolypse rules.

So if you ever want to play 40,000 and learn all about it I can share some of my mini's.

Also as for dark heresy....  let me in, let me in, let me in.  I've loved everything Dark Library has thrown out.  I have comics, books, and codexes to armies I don't even play.

I'd love to join in a game.  I don't know how to play but I learn quickly.  I want t play a sister of battle rly bad.

28 days... 6 hours... 42 minutes... 12 seconds. That... is when the world... will end.
Netzach Maccabi www.myspace.com/qaneh darkstar3498 king0fh3rts  
IP Logged

Graver13
Townfolk

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Irish Channel
Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 7:50am

Thanks for the welcome, Kaos!  I wish i still had my old TMNT books just for nostalgia's sake -Road Hogs was my favorite but then again, I've always had a soft spot for Mad Max.  Unfortunately, I know I'd probably not get much play out of them.  The Palladium system is great if you don't know any better, but once you do, it kind of falls apart.  Hell, that aside, I still get the odd urge left over from high-school to track down a book or three and run Rifts.  That game was just seven shades of wrong wrapped in stupid awesome... if only it had been designed under a slightly different and more holistic rule system.  Now days, however, I get my need for crazy over-the-top future insanity out of the way with the Warhammer 40k universe... and the rules are maybe an inch or two better (how a rule can be an inch better, I'm not too sure, but they're clearly not miles better, or even that weird European kilometer...)

<<Edit>>
As for the other games, stretch your wings and strike out into the indi world... there's so many good ideas (and bad ones too)!.  If you liked Rifts, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register might have something for you.  It's post-apocalyptic, it's insane, it's crazy stupid, and it's inspiered by the movie Six String Samurai.  If you haven't played the game you can find out more about it Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and if you haven't seen the movie, dear Gods, man, but you must!  There has never been such a post-apocalyptic rockabilly movie and there probably will never be another.  It's great with beer, even better with smoke... find it and watch it!

Likewise, and not to toot the 40k horn too much, but the worlds of Warhammer 40k have a lot of the feel of Rifts, though more dark (grimdark as it's come to be called), oppressive, and insane (damn I love that word when it describes games!).  If you haven't yet and you get to opportunity to, check out Dark Heresy.  It has a rather rabid loyal fallowing (mostly in Europe though) and one hell of a rich deep background where most anything can happen kinda like Rifts.
<</edit>>

Netzach, your offer is very tempting!  While I've never been big on war games as my tactical capabilities are sub par (I can get my arse handed to me in Risk by drunk high-school kids) the fact that there's another geek in NO who's into 40k dose me good.  The main thing, oddly enough, that drew me into 40k was the prospect of painting the minis.  Then i realized how expensive they were and never quite got the money to go beyond looking at them in White Dwarf and imagining how I would paint them... the aesthetics of 40k are just so damned appealing.

I might be able to let you into our DH game after a bit.  Right now, we are reaching the ending portion of a story arch that has almost been a year in the making.  All that's really left is the Big Reveal; it would be like stepping in on the last 15 minuets of a crazy twisted movie.  Besides that, with the current group lineup, an Adeptus Sororitas would be the worst kind of short lived character.  The group is currently fairly radical and highly corrupted servants of the Emperor tooling around with an unsanctioned psyker; a Medicae of the Administratum who is one step away from becoming a full on sorcerer who believes to prevent heresy one must commit heresy; one irreligious hive scum pulled form the sewers who just happens to doom any planet he steps on based on his cursed Haarlock heritage, and finally one obscuira addicted, warp mutated, murderously insane Medicae-Interogator to lead them all down the road to damnation.  In short, any contact with this group and the Sororitas would tend to end in burning and screaming Wink

However, once this story arch is complete, we will either be kicking off a Rogue Trader (another 40k game of seeking out strange new worlds to exploit, eradicating new life and new civilizations, and boldly going where no-one in their right mind would ever want to) or Unknown Armies (the game of white trash mysticism and post-modern deification, kind of like a less pretentious drug addled version of Mage: the Ascension).  One of my players expressed an interest in running an Unknown Armies game centered around the events that led up to the remake of 13 Ghosts.  As she said, the movie was so-so, but the background for the ghosts that the audience never gets to know is top-notch and the events that led up to the movies opening would be really fun to play through... or viscously thwart as members of the Sleepers in Unknown Armies.  I don't know if she'll still want to run that game or be ready when i wrap up our current Dark Heresy story though as she can be a bit flaky.

IP Logged

Netzach Maccabi
Townfolk

A wayward Jew in the Big
Easy

Metairie
Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:38pm

I'm gathering players for my D&D 3.5 campaign.

it'll be at my place in Metairie.  email me at
n-mattei@hotmail.com

28 days... 6 hours... 42 minutes... 12 seconds. That... is when the world... will end.
IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 10:40pm

What's most impressive about these posts, Netzach, is that you didn't copy and paste all of them.

A dedicated DM and a dedicated typist!

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Netzach Maccabi
Townfolk

A wayward Jew in the Big
Easy

Metairie
Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 10:51pm

I'm a medical accountant.  typing is my specialty beaux.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print