Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What's the worst book you ever read? (Read 1133 times)
Kifaru
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Kallistier
Dogs of War
Intelligent_Life
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo

Run baby run

What's the worst book you ever read?
Aug 9th, 2008 at 3:07am

This afternoon I found myself rummaging through my bookshelves looking for something promising that I hadn’t read already.  After about three minutes of shuffling books I came across this god awful piece of crap that I finished reading a few months ago.  It is the most painful waste of paper that I’ve ever suffered through.  I think the only reason that I still have it, is that I want a memento to the misery.  It’s called “The Grand Complication”.  The back cover of the book had glowing comments from Entertainment Weekly, The London Times, The Los Angeles Times, and USA Today.  Sounds promising right?  The main premise of the book is the adventures of an uptight librarian.  OK, that’s a plot that has been done well in the past… but not this time.  I won’t bore you with all the details.  I’ll just give you a taste.  On average there is one discussion per chapter of the Dewey Decimal System and/or its creator who is idolized by the books main character.  There are lengthy discussions of innovative filing methods and detailed descriptions of cross referencing material.  Please God, make it stop.  I kept waiting for it to get good.  I figured that if the book started that badly, it must have an amazing ending to get those glowing reviews.  Nope.  Just more sucking.

Any of you ever read anything that was epically bad? Not just Ann Rice bad, but something truly atrocious?  Got a funny story about it?

IP Logged

Ancient Goat
Townfolk

"Old School"

NOLA
Re: What's the worst book you ever read?
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 6:42pm

MANY!

This might be a good thread for my question.

I have a hard time buying books because of this reason...I can't stand to waste money on a book that's not worth it.  If I have to "wait for it to get good" after the first 2 chapters, maybe three, then it's gone.  Drives me nuts.  And, by the way, some of those D&D books (not gaming) are terrible.

OK...I'm sure many of us have read everything Tolkein had to offer...plus many of the "classics" authors, but could someone give me a list of books or even authors that are worth it in TODAY'S times?  Eddings, Feist, etc. are ok. I, personally, cannot find any of the adventure/sci-fi/fantasy authors that can match Tolkein.  I've found a few with some good likeness or original themes, but I need someone with a brain, you know?  Some imagination please...a challenge please...anything.

My life turns into sand...Immortality is my dream...Man shall follow my command...Sorcery shall conquer my fear!

IP Logged

david
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot

one bad dude, not two

harahan, la
Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 7:53pm

my brother recommended to me a book called rhapsody, by elizabeth haydon. turns out he had got it from someone, it sucked, and he gave it to me just to piss me off with the sucktitude of it. there is apparently a whole bunch of books in the series, though i can't imagine who would have bought enough books to encourage the author to write any more. i recommend to everyone that they skip any of elizabeth haydon's works, unless you have insomnia and are a bit dingy in the head anyhow.

as for good books, i got some enjoyment out of the runelords series by david farland. i also like some of dr. suess' stuff. and "where the wild things are". good stuff. oh, and "the thief of always," by clive barker.

WWW woody_two_soul lechgame  
IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 8:25pm

Quote:
OK...I'm sure many of us have read everything Tolkein had to offer...plus many of the "classics" authors, but could someone give me a list of books or even authors that are worth it in TODAY'S times?  Eddings, Feist, etc. are ok. I, personally, cannot find any of the adventure/sci-fi/fantasy authors that can match Tolkein.  I've found a few with some good likeness or original themes, but I need someone with a brain, you know?  Some imagination please...a challenge please...anything.

Feist I like, been awhile since I read them tho.
The fist six books of the Dragonlance novels I love, after that it is kind of hit and miss with the DL novels.
Robert Jordon is ok, quite long winded but the stories are decent.
I've never found a Ravenloft or Dark Sun novel I did not like.  I could never really get into the Forgotten Realms novels, I have a few but I was not impressed.

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 8:38pm

To answer the original post, and I'll keep it limited to the scifi/fantasy genre, the absolute worst book I've ever read, in my 42-ish years of literacy, has got to be Battlefield Earth.  One of the few instances where the movie was superior to the novel, and the movie stunk to gawd awful heaven.

Mr Dianetics set out to write the longest scifi novel ever written to that point, and he succeeded.  Unfortunately, he only had about 100 or so pages of anything worth reading.

OMG, I need to clean my brain now just thinking about that steaming heap of offal.  Thank god I've got some Glen Cook waiting for me when I arrive home from work this evening.

Quote:
could someone give me a list of books or even authors that are worth it in TODAY'S times?

Define "TODAY'S times".

If you've never read them, then don't dismiss the YESTERDAY'S times writers.  Here, I'm mostly going on about Robert E. Howard, H.P. Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith.

There's so much Conan junk out there (and I do mean junk) that the original Howard (aka REH) is obscured.  Fortunately, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, in the chronological order that they were written, not published.  The best part, is that, these are only the stories written by the original Texan.

Howard Phillips Lovecraft.  That's all that I'll say.

Clark Aston Smith (aka CAS, aka Klarkash-Ton)  The consummate wordsmith.  If you can get a hold of the out of print books by Necronomicon Press, Tales of Zothique and The Book of Hyperborea, then you will not be disappointed.  Again, stories are presented in the order of their creation, not publication.  If you can't get the Necro stuff, then Night Shade books has a new collection: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.  Currently, volumes I, II & III are available.  I believe there will be five total.

For In Your Face action, there's Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser (start with Swords and Deviltry) and Michael Moorcock's Elric saga.  As for Moorcock, I'd definitely stick with his older works.

Glen Cook's The Black Company is a great read, as is Ursula LeGuin's A Wizard of Earthsea and Tombs of Atuan.

The oldest writings I've mentioned here can date back to the '20s and are as recent as the '80s.  Yeah, I doubt that they make the cut for "TODAY's times", but all of these are great reading.  If you haven't read something from the list, then you definitely should!

Now, what may make the cut for something a bit newer would be Barbara Hambly's Winterlands and Raven Sisters series.

I'm done typing, but if you want more, then I'll go there.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2008 at 10:00pm by Red Priest »  

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

Ancient Goat
Townfolk

"Old School"

NOLA
Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 11:05pm

GREAT...thanks.

By the way, I started reading Lovecraft back in the 80's...great stuff.

My life turns into sand...Immortality is my dream...Man shall follow my command...Sorcery shall conquer my fear!

IP Logged

humboldtscott
Broadmoor DM
Broadmoor

New Orleans, LA
Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 11:44pm

It's probably not the WORST book I've ever read, but...
...I'd never read any Orson Scott Card, when one day I picked up "Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus." It was a stunningly original book, an excellent read. Finished it, then immediately read it again. Then, walking into my used book-store, I saw that the only book they had by Card was "The Alvin Maker Series." I'm usually not a fan of long series, but what the heck, he was a great author.

In it, the primary character WORSHIPS THE PLACENTA OF HIS STILLBORN SISTER, which he carries around with him, and has conversations with. Yes, it talks back to him. I can't remember any more than that, but really, what more do you need to know?

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #7 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 12:43am

Worst books...

The Sword of Shannara and its sequels.

Horrible...

"BUT YOU MUST" now repeat 5 mil times. I listened to the first 3 books not because they were good, but because they could put me to sleep faster then anything.

Lovecraft, is not very interesting. The only one I liked out of the 15 I have read was "Rats"

Orson Scott Card, is a great author. I read the "Ender" series, and the "Bean" series. Both were very good. I think you just got kind of weirded out by something. There are no placentas in the Ender books. haha They are going to make it into a movie sometime to.

IP Logged

translucentwolf
Sith Lord
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Kallistier
JustSayGM
Dogs of War
Top Ten
Intelligent_Life
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
john
JustSayNo
Esplanade

New Orleans
Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 1:56am

Books worth reading today, or anytime, really:
<p>
Author Title(s)
Orson Scott Card
Tales of Alvin Maker (series)
Ender (series)
Jim Butcher Harry Dresden (series)
Robert R. McCammon Wolf's Hour, Swan Song
Paul Kidd Queen of The Demonweb Pits (first two in series are good too)
Simon R. Green 'Nightside' series
Marc Matz Nocturne for a Dangerous Man
Julian May Saga of the Pliocene Exile (series) / Intervention (series)
J.K.Rowling Harry Potter (series) - really pretty good

That which does not kill you merely postpones the inevitable.
translucentwolf translucentwolf translucentwolf translucentwolf  
IP Logged

Kifaru
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Kallistier
Dogs of War
Intelligent_Life
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo

Run baby run

Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 5:15pm

Good list translucentwolf.  I've read Card, Butcher, Green, and Rowling.  All good.  In fact I'm curently re-reading my favorites of the 'Dresden' series.  I'm not familiar with the others on your list, but I'll give one or two of them a go the next time I hit the book store.

IP Logged

Ancient Goat
Townfolk

"Old School"

NOLA
Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 11:16pm

As stated, a few of these are out of print.  I went looking for many of the ones (that I found interesting) from a couple of these lists...but, I was only able to find Card's: Pastwach.

Swords and Deviltry is out of print...so, I think I can get it off of Amazon.  I just hate to purchase before thumbing through first.

I'll keep looking.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print