Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Better Healthcare system (Read 399 times)
SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Better Healthcare system
Jul 4th, 2008 at 2:43am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Another system that is better then ours.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Re: Better Healthcare system
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 6:12am

This is the same system that the PM tried to overhaul in 2006 and fell flat on her face politically so she eventually just upped the manditory requirement each person pays?

A lot of people have a lot of good things to say about the system.  It works a lot like US Social Security.  They also say it has the same big problem... it isn't sustainable.  Do the math.  The population is getting older, more are retiring, and the basic costs as a percentage of income are increasing.

And you also have to make a fair comparison.  Germany is smaller though its only like 25% of the size of the US.  It still makes a difference in distribution.   But the big thing is that it works because its a manditory 14% of your salary.  That means it takes more then the 6.2% you pay in the US for SS, it even takes more when you add the other 6.2 the employer adds.    If you make 50,000/yr that's almost $7500 out of your check before you see it.  If you make 20,000/yr you are still paying almost $3000.   With the amount going to taxes already, you'd never get that system accepted in the US.

All that said, I'd rather not argue about health care here unless we are talking about retirement plans for old adventurers or collecting for the goblin's widow fund.

IP Logged

Kifaru
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Kallistier
Dogs of War
Intelligent_Life
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo

Run baby run

Re: Better Healthcare system
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 6:51pm

I actually heard the original radio report on this a couple weeks ago.  It got my interest because I have a couple of friends who are medical students in Germany that I met while in Tanzania last year.  They were shocked at how long US doctors have to go to school.  They have about 1/2 to 2/3 of the years of schooling as American doctors.  They also don't get paid neerly as well.  Unfortunately the low pay means many of the best doctors eventually go to other countries where they can make better money.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print