Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Table Opening (Read 3042 times)
SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Table Opening
Jul 3rd, 2008 at 1:52am

We have 2 openings at our table at the moment.

We are looking to play some 4.0 D&D to learn the system dynamics.

We are also expecting to play some GURPS Traveler when we have had hour fill of 4.0, if we get it.

At the moment we have no DM until someone would like to step up and take the mound, so we are starting fresh. Please make a post if you are interested, and we will arrange a time to meet with you before, or during the game day. We have a nice gaming table, and a comfortable atmosphere full of "sweet drinks". We are located near the French Quarter, on Burgundy St. So parking can sometimes be annoying but you never have to pay for it. We play Saturday evenings, until such a time as we all get tired. We usually stop around 1 - 3 am. We are all adults from 20s to 40s, and the group tends to prefer mature interactions, as well as realistic role playing and gaming dynamics.

We are planing to play or at least get together this Saturday (5th of July) at around 5 to 6 pm until late.

If you are interesting please contact make a post in this forum, and we will be sure to email or message you. You may make a PM to my account with personal information in which will help us contact you. We like to get to know future players before games start in order to make sure new players are a good fit.

Thanks,

The DM

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Table Opening
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 2:15am

Liam, can you sticky this at the top?

IP Logged

tdza
WhatNot

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 3:17am

I'm not sure how I missed this when I was looking through the forums last night, but I'd be extremely interested in joining.  I'm fairly free; I could even do sometime tomorrow if I found out about it in time.  July 4th itself is tricky, of course, but I'm pretty sure I could make the game.  I can start working on a character ahead of time if that would speed things up; I'm leaning towards a half-elf warlord at the moment.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.  Contact info below.

#: 985-228-0110
email: t@u.northwestern.edu
aim: tommydza

IP Logged

humboldtscott
Broadmoor DM
Broadmoor

New Orleans, LA
Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2008 at 4:24am

Hey guys,
I'm a 32 year-old player and GM with nearly 20 years experience (primarily flavors of DnD, but also Paranoia, GURPS, Call of Cuthulu, etc). I'm currently in Northern California, but will be moving to New Orleans July 29th to attend UNO in the Fall. I'll be living in a place off Frenchman street initially, and saturday nights would be good for me.

I'd love to meet with you guys and see if we have compatible gaming interests. I've recently completed a long-running Greyhawk campaign using 3.5 - it eventually evolved into a planescape campaign after some of the players moved away and other characters "ascended" in an epic battle that they lost...

My style usually puts the story and characters first, the campaign world second, and the rules third. My favorite campaign world to run is Al-Qadim, a second edition DnD world that is arabian nights in flavor (using a 3rd edition conversion of course). I can also run more conventional western fantasy (greyhawk)... I've also got an incredible Call of Cuthulu adventure (Beyond the Mountains of Madness).

I'd be happy to play in just about any game if you've picked up a DM since this was posted. I'll be bringing a few board games with me, perhaps we could give those a spin as a way to get to know each other?

If you're interested, post back, call, or email me-

Thanks,
Scott
humboldtscott@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2008 at 2:11am by Admin account »  

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2008 at 4:37pm

We are currently 5 people and want at least 1 more, but will take 2.  We are taking turns doing 4E right now because its new and shiny.

Having someone who has an established world would and wants to run the game would be good.  'The DM' has been doing that for over two years and wants the break.  Everyone knows 3.5. Two of us really like GURPS.

I've played just about every system.  Personally, I'm not a big horror fan but I think the other 4 are cool with 700 foot tall deamons that want to eat you.

Let us know when you get to town and we can meetup.  Have you tried 4E?  Are you going to be in town at all before the 29th?

IP Logged

humboldtscott
Broadmoor DM
Broadmoor

New Orleans, LA
Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2008 at 10:36pm

Quote:
We are currently 5 people and want at least 1 more, but will take 2.

Great. I think six is usually best (5 players + 1 GM). Any more, and combat bogs down. Any fewer, and I tend to kill 'em too quickly.

My girlfriend will be joining me in New Orleans eventually, but she's a (supportive) non-gamer. Oh, and I've got a 6 month-old chihuahua/terrier puppy that will be coming with me most everywhere at first, until she gets used to living in the city. Would it be alright to bring her along?

Quote:
We are taking turns doing 4E right now because its new and shiny. Have you tried 4E?

I haven't tried it yet; not sure how I feel from the reviews I've read, but I'll definitely give it a try.

Quote:
Having someone who has an established world would and wants to run the game would be good.  'The DM' has been doing that for over two years and wants the break.  Everyone knows 3.5. Two of us really like GURPS.

I love to play or run, although I so frequently end up in the DM's chair, I'm most comfortable there. Switching it up is great too; keeps anyone from getting burned-out.

I've read a lot of gurps books over the years, but never actually played it. I've always wanted to play in a space game though, so I'd definitely be interested in traveler as well. And I've got quite a few ideas I've been itching to use, although I make no claims to be especially good at running games.
Quote:

Let us know when you get to town and we can meetup.    Are you going to be in town at all before the 29th?

I fly overnight from San Francisco on July 29, so I won't be in New Orleans until the morning of July 30. I've got an orientation on Aug 7, and classes start Aug 25. Other than that, my schedule is pretty free for the month of August, and once a regular day is set, I should be able to keep with it during school.

Looking forward to meeting you all,
Scott
707-407-5386 (cell phone)
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2008 at 11:56pm by SombreNote DM »  

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 7:43am

'The DM' has some work stuff going on which is why he hasn't replied.  He will probably post something after wednesday.

The dog might be an issue since a cat lives at the place we game and we game there because that's where the table is.   We should get 'The DM' to post a pic.   I don't think anyone is opposed to the idea of a dog being there, its just the cat problem.  Personally, I'd find the dog less annoying than the cat.

We will meetup when you get in town and if nothing else, introduce you to pyramids.  Its our secret little place that's the best food in town that tourists have never heard of.

We play saturday night.  I can't imagine that changing.  If it does, I wont be able to play.  And of course.... its all about me.

IP Logged

humboldtscott
Broadmoor DM
Broadmoor

New Orleans, LA
Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 10:46am

I imagine we can work something out. The dog (Nola "Bear" Pennywise) is under 5 lbs, so most cats can kick her butt. She likes cats. We have a kitten that will be staying here in California; they're best friends, although they play in a way that might shock a cat that has never encountered a little dog. When we go to houses with cats she might not get along with, I usually just keep her in my lap or on a very short leash. I could just keep her in the pet carrier that she'll be flying down in - it's small, portable, and she's pretty mellow when she's in the carrier.

Saturday nights would work great for me. Assuming, of course, that we have compatible gaming styles...

And I'd love to find another great place to eat. I lived in NO last summer, so I'm not totally clueless, but my knowledge is pretty limited.
-Scott

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 4:18pm

Hey Liam.  Can I bring my dog too?  I don't think the cats would be a problem....for long. Cheesy  Just kidding Ray.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 4:19pm

Oh, and look forward to meeting you Scott.  What part of NoCal are you coming from?  My family and I moved here from Sac in 04.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 1:36am

Holly SHIT! Yeah bring him!

IP Logged

translucentwolf
Sith Lord
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Kallistier
JustSayGM
Dogs of War
Top Ten
Intelligent_Life
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
john
JustSayNo
Esplanade

New Orleans
Reply #11 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 9:51pm

Hello all,

I'm new to NO, having just moved down from Kentucky.  Should you still have the second spot open, I'd be glad to fill it.  I'm mid 30's, and have been playing off and on since around '85.  I'm familiar with several systems, and have GMd DnD from 2nd Ed to 3.5.  I haven't run 4th, but I have read through the system.  I've also run D20 Modern/Future, and quite a bit of Star Wars D20.  I have some of the Gurps Traveler material, but I've never played or run that particular system.

Nice to see that there are some games down here.

John

That which does not kill you merely postpones the inevitable.
translucentwolf translucentwolf translucentwolf translucentwolf  
IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 10:09pm

We still have a few slots open right now and are looking for new blood but we game on saturday evening and it sounds like you can't do that.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #13 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 12:16am

We made this website/forum about a year and a half ago, because we were looking to game as well. I came down jan 08, and we built the site a few months after that with Laim. We have had a few addictions since then, but there really are very few gamers down here. Would you like to set up a meeting sometime in order to join our table?

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.