Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lack of real people (Read 1091 times)
Karloff
Townfolk

I Love YaBB 2!

Westbank (Harvey)
Lack of real people
Feb 23rd, 2008 at 3:50pm

There is 726 people registered on here and not many said hello. *sniff* 

Gaming FOREVER!

karloff_klexion  
IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Lack of real people
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 4:56pm

Yeah, they are all spam accounts. Bots roam the internet making accounts on forums. We need a bot blocker when registering.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 10:05am

I deleted more than 700 accounts and already there are 17 new ones.  But it looks like the signup procedure is twarting them because they try to sign up but never confirm it and never get into the forum.  On other forums I have run, there were a few spammers who got in and posted, but here, so far, none have posted.

IP Logged

Karloff
Townfolk

I Love YaBB 2!

Westbank (Harvey)
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 4:18am

Well I want some AD&D players, cause i'll be starting a game within the next few weeks. So more real peoples, damnit!

Karloff

karloff_klexion  
IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 6:26am

Like I said, we haven't hit a critical mass yet.  Send all your friends here and get them to sign up and talk NOLA gaming.

And you could always try our game.

Did you go to NOLA con?  I want to go for one day but this weekend just didn't work out.  A family obligation required that I go to Monster Jam and a schnauzer thing came up today in the early afternoon.

Also go check out meetups.com.  Someone just paid the fee to get a role playing area there.  Not sure how long they paid for.   Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register;  You could post a message there looking for willing 2.0 victims.

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 7:27pm

Karloff wrote on Feb 25th, 2008 at 4:18am:
Well I want some AD&D players, cause i'll be starting a game within the next few weeks. So more real peoples, damnit!

Karloff

Did someone say AD&D?

Red Priest raises hand

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

Karloff
Townfolk

I Love YaBB 2!

Westbank (Harvey)
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 8:23pm

Quote:
You could post a message there looking for willing 2.0 victims.

Playing AD&D has nothing to do with finding victims. Core rules AD&D is boring, I've already covered that. Seriously, the AD&D bashing needs to stop. It really doesn't matter what system you play as long as you have fun.

Quote:
Did someone say AD&D?

* Red Priest raises hand

Indeed, in the next couple of days, I'll write up a more indepth version for the game I'll run under the proper thread. Send me a message on the forum if you got questions.

Karloff

karloff_klexion  
IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 10:33pm

I wasn't bashing AD&D.  If you were looking for people to play the TNMT RPG I'd have said you could try looking for victims for that on the meetups.com role playing area.   It was just a turn of phrase.

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

settle for lies.

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 4:42pm

Karloff wrote on Feb 25th, 2008 at 8:23pm:
[quote] Core rules AD&D is boring,

An opinion, obviously, not a fact.

Karloff wrote on Feb 25th, 2008 at 8:23pm:
I've already covered that.

Where?  I'd like to read it.

IP Logged

Karloff
Townfolk

I Love YaBB 2!

Westbank (Harvey)
Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 5:26pm

Quote:

Yes it is my opinion, core rules are balanced to a point but with all the new books and additions made it unbalanced. Its up to a good DM to balance the system itself. I have defended and redefined AD&D and will continue to do as well. Anyway, core rules were always meant as a guide line and not chiseled into stone and saying you gotta do it.

Quote:
Where?  I'd like to read it.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Start there and work down.

have fun

Karloff

karloff_klexion  
IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

settle for lies.

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 9:18pm

Karloff wrote on Feb 28th, 2008 at 5:26pm:
Quote:

Yes it is my opinion, core rules are balanced to a point but with all the new books and additions made it unbalanced. Its up to a good DM to balance the system itself. I have defended and redefined AD&D and will continue to do as well. Anyway, core rules were always meant as a guide line and not chiseled into stone and saying you gotta do it.

Cool beans; thanks for the pointer.   Now I see where you're coming from, but from the thread, I can't tell if you're referencing 1st or 2nd edition AD&D.  My personal experience is with 1e, so I'll confine my remarks to that edition, because I have zero experience with 2e.

If you're referring to 1e, then I agree with you regarding the expansion books breaking the system.  I stick with the three core books: PHB, DMG and MM.  Okay, I'll include some FF and MMII in there, too.  Wink  Frankly, from UA on, I'm out.  I'm especially out when it comes to the Survival Guides, because I think that they inject skills-based rules into a non-skills based game.  OD&D and AD&D were never conceived as skills-based games, but as level-based where characters improve in their respective bailiwicks.  For me, the difference between OD&D/AD&D and almost every other game, including 3.x and 4.0, is that the former is centered around how good a player you are and the later are centered around how good a character you've got.  Without a skill to roll against, you the player have to come up with the plan to successfully overcome an obstacle.  In the skills-based games, all a player need do is roll a die to succeed.  It's been said in other places, but it's worth repeating here, "OD&D/AD&D challenges players, and most other games challenge characters." I'd rather be challenged as a player.

The 3 core AD&D books, IMO, are a great balance between rules and guidelines.  When the game creator himself, Gary, doesn't run his own games btb, that should tell us something.  Never let the rules get in the way of a fun game.  That's my biggest problem with how 3.x and the upcoming 4.0 attempt to codify everything into a hard and fast rule, where the DM is nothing but an interface between the books and the players.  What I mean is, the DM as final arbiter as to what is kosher or not in his game, has been eroded into near non-existence.

I think the core 1e books are great.  They give the DM enough of a framework to get the game going, but don't straitjacket the DM as an adjudicator.

Karloff, we may disagree in our opinions of the core books (for me that's just the 3), but it seems we agree that AD&D is still a great game.  Smiley

Also, it would be pretty much a guarantee that you couldn't drive me crazy as a DM, cause I love when players come up with creative solutions  ... especially if it involves something not found in any rulebook!

IP Logged

Karloff
Townfolk

I Love YaBB 2!

Westbank (Harvey)
Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 11:09pm

Quote:
I can't tell if you're referencing 1st or 2nd edition AD&D.

I refer to 2nd edition, though I have read some books from 1e, I wasn't to drawn in. By all means do not get me wrong AD&D core when I first played it, it was great. But since that time, IMO its fun to make it better. Since I have made it better, core to me would be boring.

Quote:
For me, the difference between OD&D/AD&D and almost every other game, including 3.x and 4.0, is that the former is centered around how good a player you are and the later are centered around how good a character you've got.

I agree, the newer versions don't really let the imagination roam as the former did. Another reason why I defend AD&D.

Quote:
"OD&D/AD&D challenges players, and most other games challenge characters." I'd rather be challenged as a player.

Personally I like to challenge both, it makes for better gaming.

Quote:
Never let the rules get in the way of a fun game.  That's my biggest problem with how 3.x and the upcoming 4.0 attempt to codify everything into a hard and fast rule, where the DM is nothing but an interface between the books and the players.

Again we are in complete agreement, there shouldn't be a "rule" for everything. Table top is suppose to be fun. Another reason 3.0 and up does not appeal to me.

Quote:
Karloff, we may disagree in our opinions of the core books

Perhaps, I just like to make things better for all involved. AD&D 2e is the first actually rpg I've played, and its like your first love and don't wanna let it go. It's not time for her to go anyway.

Quote:
but it seems we agree that AD&D is still a great game.

Yep and it always will be as long as good DM's exist and not to mention they like to challenge players and their characters.

Quote:
Also, it would be pretty much a guarantee that you couldn't drive me crazy as a DM, cause I love when players come up with creative solutions  ... especially if it involves something not found in any rulebook!

Thats the fun of playing, to think of new ideas. To expand your and your character. I have driven many a DM a little nutts with the crazy stuff I have come up with. But its all for the fun.

It also shows the lack of real people, that people table tops now-a-days. Most just want something quick and easy to play. I prefer players enjoy the gaming session and want them to continue.

Karloff

GAMING FOREVER! Tongue

karloff_klexion  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print