Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
0e is making a comeback! (Read 1393 times)
Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
0e is making a comeback!
Feb 23rd, 2011 at 6:18pm

For all you "old-school" lovers out there, I found a wonderful article that sums up some comparisons between new age gaming and the old system. It is a wonderful read, and while it does come off as biased toward the older systems, it really drives home its point with great examples. At the bottom of the article is a link to a download of a new revised version of 0e. It was revamped under the OGL and is free and completely legal to DL and use. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did, and maybe it will help spark that old excitement at the table once more!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Re: 0e is making a comeback!
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 12:32am

Nice link.

I think some of the examples it makes are really just poor gaming vrs good gaming.  The player skill vrs character attributes point made is kind of a recipe for a poor gaming experience.

For accurate character portrayals it would lead to discussions like: "Sorry Lester you cant play a wizard...your just not smart enough." "Sorry Jimmy I know you said you were looking for traps but ahhhh your wisdom isnt enough to have done that."

Heh.....Happy middle ground.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 4:46am

I hear ya.  But wasn't there something in the old school rules (OD&D? AD&D? A specific edition of AD&D?  I seriously don't remember) that that specified ability checks that was basically a precursor to skill checks?

FWIW, the Old School Revival has been kickin' for a while.  See

Hackmaster
Swords and Wizardry
Labyrinth Lord
Ad nauseam, ad infinitum

Read the following blogs:

Grognardia
Beyond the Black Gate

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 1:45pm

I will be sure to look up those games, beyonder. The article was written by one of the team members that worked on Swords and Wizardry. I down loaded the file to check it out. I love the idea that the life of an adventurer is dangerous, and that they do die (quite often it seems) in the quest for glory. However, I do have reservations about the old xp charts and racial class restrictions. I prefer running games that don't have xp. I think it is a pretty out of date mechanic and better advancement systems have since come along. I believe the same thing about Hit Point systems as well.

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 10:29pm

Ahem ... allow me.   Cool

For in print 0e:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

For in print AD&D 1st Edition
Free PDF download:    Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Hard cover:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Soft cover: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

There's also this for 1e monsters:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print