Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
d20 system: a discussion (Read 3413 times)
Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
d20 system: a discussion
Feb 23rd, 2011 at 1:12am

Since getting back into gaming after a 15+ year break, I have been encountering more than a fair amount of opposition to the d20 system. I came back hearing horror stories from D&D 4e, but what I am talking about is the seemingly endless posts all over the Internet forums from GMs deploring everything d20. Now, as you would expect, most of these opinions have been filed by older gamers and I would expect that anyone could just say these "oldschoolers" are just too set in their ways to accept a new system (relatively speaking). However, I have been searching for games recommended by the same reviewers and I must say, I have been reading some amazing and well thought out systems.
I guess the discussion would start here. What I would like to get us talking about are systems that this community thinks others should give a chance, or maybe just great alternative methods designed by GMs to take the place of akward, inconsistent rules that seem to sometimes pop up with the d20 system. What do you guys think?

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Re: d20 system: a discussion
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 1:52pm

I dunno, 3/3.5 and Pathfinder are d20 and people love those .  In fact, most of the opposition to 4th edition that I read and hear about comes from 3/3.5 and Pathfinder folks.  Sure, the old school gaming community is pretty outspoken on the subject, but it's still relatively small.  Again, most of the 4E haters I've encountered have been d20 players.

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 6:03pm

I am not denying the popularity of games that use the d20 system. And as far as marketing, there will always be people that cling to games because of name branding (a la D&D). What I am trying to focus on, and get more viewpoints for, are where d20 systems fail to provide a consistant game. What have been GMs' and players' experiences with d20's flaws, and how have they managed and to overcome those problems?

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 6:59pm

What I was trying to say is that most of the anti-4th edition sentiment you hear on the internet is actually coming from players of other d20 systems, i.e. 3/3.5/Pathfinder.

Regarding truly old school players and their dislike of the d20 system, I'd say that a lot of them feel that post-2nd edition D&D is too balanced, focuses too much on min-maxing, and also that the overall mentality of gamers has changed since then.  Of course, the last thing has more to do with the fluff in the rulebooks than the system itself.  Regardless, I hear a lot of old curmudgeons on the blogs (to which I, admittedly, subscribe in my RSS reader) complain that players of the later versions have strayed from the dungeon crawls of old.  Again, though, this is silly.  We've beaten this point to death on nolarpg.com at this point, but as we all know, style of play has more to do with the attitudes of players and DMs than the system.

Anyway, I think they all miss the days of low-level characters that can die at any second and high-level characters that are ridiculously overpowered.  At least I do.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, but FWIW, I like all systems of D&D almost equally; they all have their strengths and weaknesses.  The flavor is another story.

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 9:43pm

Good point. So let's get off the subject of specific d20 games and talk about the system itself. A unified die roll streamlines the game, and as such makes play faster to pick up and run without requiring the memorization of seperate die rolls for deffering situations. However, I find that the d20 system allows for a huge inconsistancy with the spread it creates.

Let's take skill checks for a level 1 character for example:
Given the worste case senario, a character with ability score of 8 (-1) untrained in a skill can roll a check with a success spread of 0-19. Another ability of 18 (+4) with training in a skill has a margin of 5-29. This is all before feats, gear, etc. The margin of success for these characters is huge, and to me defeats the idea of consistant Difficulty Classes. Has anyone attempted to resolve issues of this nature to make outcomes more dynamic? Something like a bell curve comes to mind, where on average heroes would perform skills to there average trained ability, with greater success and failure less and less likely.

I admit I might be barking up the wrong tree. The easiest answer would be to play a different system all together. But if I can play a D&D game and keep what's good while changing what needs fixing, I think it would help.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 12:22am

Ahh Adam the old 2d10 3d6 vrs d20 ploy.

You know the issue with 3.5/pathfinder / old school D&D  is more about the change in player attitudes than with the systems. The drive to "Win," compete, codify and perfect really pervades the gaming scene.

I think Beyonder's point about the old school players dislike for the newer system is on point. However the attitude is somewhat misguided. The yearning for competitive min maxing has always existed though many old school games didnt really really address it in a meaningful way. I often bring up that there were more fighters with 18/00 strength than all the other 18/# combined.

As far as dynamics results go, its a crunch versus fluff story. Robust rules to accurately portray likely results or a simple rules system of "merely" finding the result of an action and rping it. Its a buck dancer's choice.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 1:38pm

Great post Hew, especially brining up the point of min/max. I am not one to create characters using this technique, in fact I love a party that has a variety of weaknesses. In my opinion, the weaknesses of characters are what foster teamwork and help build tension, all ultimately making the game better.

As far as defeating the players' power-gaming drive, one could always go way old school and make them roll attributes with 3d6 in order, no player placement. That'll teach 'em! lol

IP Logged

wing
Second Level
Intelligent_Life

I bump old threads.

Marigny
Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2011 at 7:01pm

I will now bump the thread and add that my very favorite characters were hardrolled (stats placed in the order they're rolled, 3d6 or otherwise) and were also subject to the requirement that no one in the party could have the same class or race.

I am playing a system (Infinite Futures) that uses lots of rules from d20 modern and future and, while the system wasn't playtested nearly enough, have found the mechanics and rules to work very well. Because Infinite Futures is somebody's own work and hasn't gone through all the playtesting bigger games go through, i was able to make some very broken characters. But the core mechanics were based on d20, and they work great.

winglessavian  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print