Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
In Praise of AD&D, 2nd Edition (Read 4184 times)
beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Re: In Praise of AD&D, 2nd Edition
Reply #15 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 5:05pm

Yessiree, 2e is good stuff.  I was reading the PHB last night.  Proficiencies: optional!  Limit on max spells/level: optional!  Spell components: optional!

Options, options, options!

I've always felt that part of the true spirit of D&D is, "If you don't like it, don't use it."  AD&D made this official.  Later editions strayed from this principle, to which I say, "Booooooo - hiss!"

Edit: Isn't encumbrance optional in 2e, too?  I think it might be.  Someone help me out here.

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

jharris
Townfolk

You have a kind of sick
desperation in your laugh

new orleans
Reply #16 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 1:18am

everything in 2e was optional...like it should be, I always felt like my gaming groups (especially games I DM'ed) were more about telling a cool story and creating an epic adventure than about the rules.  Odd comparison, but it's kind of like the Matrix, we had rules (gravity etc) but they were always a little more flexible...If the story got better because you were carrying too much shit, then encumbrance played a part, if not, we kind of looked the other way.  Remember people, this is FANTASY.  we're not trying to recreate some historic fiction here.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #17 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 11:05pm

Well  in really every RPG every mechanic is "optional" Heck I remember arguing with my friends dad (a WWII tank commander) that tanks defended better than what some rules said....House rule for the win.

Some rules are harder to extract than others though. Sometimes the rules lend a certain feel to the game (see ARMS LAW.) One thing about more recent game development trend is the elegance of games. In the day theives abilities seemed like they were borrowed from another game, as was grappling, psionics and a large number of rules. The D20 revolution certainly made the rules seem less arcane....though in truth lots of folks prided themselves at knowing the grappling rules by heart.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #18 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 3:44am

hewhorocks wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 11:05pm:
Well in really every RPG every mechanic is "optional"

That's true...  what I'm saying, though, is that having rules marked "Optional" in a core rulebook speaks volumes about the game's design philosophy.  The designer acknowledges that not all rules are always appropriate, whereas house rules are generally implemented because of a flaw in the ruleset or the result of a truly unique situation at the table.  AD&D 2e (and, admittedly, other systems as well) is *intended* to be played significantly differently from table to table, as opposed to *inevitably* played significantly differently from table to table as a result of necessity and/or player/DM frustration.

inb4 "AD&D 2e has flaws and often/always requires houserules; here is/are an/some example/examples:"

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #19 - Feb 1st, 2011 at 10:16pm

OMG 2e Thief skills were off the chain! Talk about one of the most customizable classes ever! With the percentage buy system, no two rogues were alike. Absolutely loved it Smiley

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print