Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
In Praise of AD&D, 2nd Edition (Read 4187 times)
beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
In Praise of AD&D, 2nd Edition
Jan 24th, 2011 at 4:12pm

I like this guy; he's my kind of guy:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Re: In Praise of AD&D, 2nd Edition
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 5:04pm

Good article

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

jharris
Townfolk

You have a kind of sick
desperation in your laugh

new orleans
Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 6:09am

2nd edition is still the one that I consider "real D&D"...sorry, think they keep trying to fix something that "ain't broke".

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 3:08pm

jharris wrote on Jan 25th, 2011 at 6:09am:
2nd edition is still the one that I consider "real D&D"...sorry, think they keep trying to fix something that "ain't broke".

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that it's what I consider "real D&D," but it's definitely what I've played the most.  I did a lot of plain ol' Dungeons & Dragons, but probably 80% of the gaming I've done in my life has been 2nd edition.

On that note, if anyone's down for some 2E, let me know.

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 7:22pm

Yeah, if you had to pick an edition as the crowning achievement of D&D, AD&D 2e would take the medal.

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 11:51pm

Adam wrote on Jan 25th, 2011 at 7:22pm:
Yeah, if you had to pick an edition as the crowning achievement of D&D, AD&D 2e would take the medal.

I agree.  It's bronze is right up there on the podium with 1e's gold and 0e's silver.    Cool

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

shawnmtoups
Townfolk

Kenner
Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 12:33am

I do like 2nd edition, but the only dm that I ever played under didn't really run any games past level 6 or so.  Our rogues might have gotten up to level 8 or 9.  And its not because he would kill us off, he would get bored and run something else.

shawnmtoups nightsonsmt  
IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 12:38am

Red Priest wrote on Jan 25th, 2011 at 11:51pm:
Adam wrote on Jan 25th, 2011 at 7:22pm:

I agree.  It's bronze is right up there on the podium with 1e's gold and 0e's silver.    Cool

1st edition is super awesome, but 2nd wins for nostalgia.  0e is like a totally different game.  I still remember the first time I read the 1e Player's Handbook and thought, "I can pick a class AND a race?  HECK YES."

Also, 2nd edition brought us Planescape & Dark Sun.  Spelljammer's pretty cool, too, despite its goofiness.  2nd Edition campaign settings:  Awwwww yeeeeahhhh

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

jharris
Townfolk

You have a kind of sick

new orleans
Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 5:24am

don't forget Ravenloft...I mean seriously.  And the Temple of Elemental Evil is still hands down one of the best adventures EVER.  2e.  Definitely down for a 2e game if someone is looking to put one together.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 6:11am

jharris wrote on Jan 25th, 2011 at 6:09am:

Yeah 2nd ed wasnt broke unless you were trying to play a balanced cooperative game. House cats killing 1st level characters. uneven level progressions (at 2600 xp rouges will pwn fighters.) Lob-sided effectiveness of characters (after 7th level or go wizard or go home)

The early years were innovative and were a product of those times. It was the era before power-gamers when you could look at a fighter's character sheet and pretty much know if you had to watch their rolls (there were ten times as many 18/00 as 18/01~18/09 combined.)

2nd could only sustain itself with the goodwill of each player and the DM. Nobody cared though, you were just happy to be playing. Woe was the day for ongoing campaigns when the wizard hit 7th level and could merely polymorph any NPC into a newt...yes yes they got better...well sometimes.

OD&D and 1st ed are where I spent most of my game time. For the most part 2nd was a seamless extension of 1st (thaco pfft whatever just roll the 20.) I liked the basic and expert sets a great deal. When the PHB came out wow. I saved lunch money for 2 weeks to buy the Monster manual when it came out... I read it for hours every night for 6 months.

Still just like Tic-tack-toe lost its luster when I discovered it was a forced draw, 2nd ed was ruined for me by a string of bad experiences with the pre-power gamers known as min maxers. Its sad that they now inhabit almost every corner of the rp world. The meta game of making characters who could out stat any difficulty but with no real sense of place in the fictional world soured me a bunch.

Not that it means anything, but time was that a DM who simply tried to kill the characters was frowned upon. It seems that players who try to build characters just to overcome scenarios are doing the same thing in reverse though its not nearly as stigmatized.

The current Ed of the games gives a nod to this adversarial type of play ceding non-combat abilities to the RP lovers (sure whatever you want as long as it doesnt effect combat) and allowing or even requiring a focus crunch-wise on conflict resolution abilities. The current ed is a reaction to the gaming environment and is a product of it.

The golden era of gaming for me was late first ed. Before the cartoon and the "uni" action figures. It was like your favorite band just before they were played every 64 min on the radio and the cool guy in homeroom "always liked them." For as much fun as 2nd was, it became the sickbed of the game until 3rd was released. 2nd ed seemed to announce the transition from D&D as the game to D&D the business product. Once that threshold was crossed it could never go back.

I think in the echo chamber of modern gamers we all long for the nostalgia and the "wow thats cool" of earlier editions but we are inherently more sophisticated players than we were then. As experienced players of a wide variety of games and game systems we would be hard pressed to look at the 2nd ed rules and not think them dated, subject to abuse and in need of streamlining and/or modification in some way. (Criticals, fumbles and encumbrance fans to one side of the room spell component, psionics and dual class humans to the other.)

The beauty of 2nd ed was not in the rules, it was in the players imagination, in the gaming environment, it was the time we had with friends confronting impossible and fantastic foes. 

So much of D&D's worth is dependent not only on the quality of the DM and the setting but on the quality of you fellow gamers in the group. After all is said and done my current group (sorry for the break guys things will settle down soon I hope) might have provided some of the greatest game moments I can recall. Given that, I have to put the edition we are using as one of the best facilitators for D&D ever....even if folks consider it a marketing tool to grab video-gamers.  I think we all know our way around a joystick these days.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 6:18am

jharris wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 5:24am:
don't forget Ravenloft...I mean seriously.  And the Temple of Elemental Evil is still hands down one of the best adventures EVER.  2e.  Definitely down for a 2e game if someone is looking to put one together.

Village of Hommlet (played by me maybe 10 times over the years)  was released 1979ish? I remember I was well into high school when the temple came out....I was disgruntled at the price....try and get one now... Embarrassed

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

michael
MGG

new orleans
Reply #11 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 1:10pm

hewhorocks wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 6:11am:
The beauty of 2nd ed was not in the rules, it was in the players imagination, in the gaming environment, it was the time we had with friends confronting impossible and fantastic foes. 

so true...
i wish i had more time to devote to my 2e campaign. i have some great players in it. when you cant play often it really effects the vibe of the game.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 2:27pm

I agree with this completely.  RPGs in general are fun only when you have a creative, active, and involved group.  The systems do not sustain themselves.  That's what board games are for.

One's favorite system is the one he or she is most comfortable playing in, whether it's due to ease of understanding or just practice.  People complain about 4th edition for taking the RP out of RPG, but that really is up to the DM and the players.  You can run a 4th edition session with no combat and all role-playing if you want - it's really only the combat that's affected by the rule system, and as we all know (and as I was reading in the 2nd edition PHB last night, coincidentally), combat is only a small part of gaming.  Those who believe that 4th edition robs the table of role-playing need to take a step back and re-examine what Dungeons and Dragons is all about.  The bulk of a solid RPG campaign is the storytelling and problem-solving; these things are not affected by the grid.

Frankly, I'm a big fan of crunch.  I'm also a bit of a masochist when it comes to rules, and I get a weird sort of satisfaction out of knowing arcane rules and exceptions, looking things up in tables, and so on.  I think that's why I dig 1e and 2e, but it's also how I learned gaming.  That's just me, though.  I appreciate what 4th edition has done for gaming, and I do to some extent enjoy running encounters in 4th edition.  I also think Final Fantasy Tactics is awesome, so there you go.  But again, it's what happens between encounters that sets RPGs apart from war and strategy games, and this same thing is the one constant in all editions of (A)D&D.

So let's all join hands and sing harmoniously about what our hobby is all about, i.e. NOT our preferred to-hit mechanic, or whether AC should go up or down as it improves.

And FWIW, THAC0 is not hard to understand.  Tongue

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

shawnmtoups
Townfolk

Kenner
Reply #13 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 3:17pm

beyonder wrote on Jan 26th, 2011 at 2:27pm:

I agree with this completely.  RPGs in general are fun only when you have a creative, active, and involved group.  The systems do not sustain themselves.  That's what board games are for.

One's favorite system is the one he or she is most comfortable playing in, whether it's due to ease of understanding or just practice.  People complain about 4th edition for taking the RP out of RPG, but that really is up to the DM and the players.  You can run a 4th edition session with no combat and all role-playing if you want - it's really only the combat that's affected by the rule system, and as we all know (and as I was reading in the 2nd edition PHB last night, coincidentally), combat is only a small part of gaming.  Those who believe that 4th edition robs the table of role-playing need to take a step back and re-examine what Dungeons and Dragons is all about.  The bulk of a solid RPG campaign is the storytelling and problem-solving; these things are not affected by the grid.

Frankly, I'm a big fan of crunch.  I'm also a bit of a masochist when it comes to rules, and I get a weird sort of satisfaction out of knowing arcane rules and exceptions, looking things up in tables, and so on.  I think that's why I dig 1e and 2e, but it's also how I learned gaming.  That's just me, though.  I appreciate what 4th edition has done for gaming, and I do to some extent enjoy running encounters in 4th edition.  I also think Final Fantasy Tactics is awesome, so there you go.  But again, it's what happens between encounters that sets RPGs apart from war and strategy games, and this same thing is the one constant in all editions of (A)D&D.

So let's all join hands and sing harmoniously about what our hobby is all about, i.e. NOT our preferred to-hit mechanic, or whether AC should go up or down as it improves.

And FWIW, THAC0 is not hard to understand.  Tongue

I agree with this entire statement.  Especially the last line.

shawnmtoups nightsonsmt  
IP Logged

jharris
Townfolk

You have a kind of sick

new orleans
Reply #14 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 4:52pm

don't get me wrong, I loved 1e (and even the old school red box), and even lamented that TSR was just trying to steal my hard earned allowance to get me to buy 2e books all over again (heck I already had a PH, why should I get another)...but I soon fell in love with all of the options that my gaming group could add to our game, and all of the stories we could now tell.  I think that any RPG is only as good as the players and the DM involved, if the group  is all about conquering the universe with players that all have 18/00 strength or a DM that is hellbent on killing off the group, 2e sucks.  But if you have a group that is trying to create an epic story with ups and downs, great victories and dramatic tragedy, then 2e was the bomb.  Rules are just a means to the end...and I never thought there was a need to reinvent the wheel when it has always rolled so well for me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print